Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Finished My Abandonment by Peter Rock. Read it cos the brilliant Leave No Trace film was based on it. Very different in one big respect. Still excellent.

Now ploughing through Berlin by Antony Beevor. He stuffs his books with an incredible amount of detail. Some gruesome stuff about the Red Army's 'immoral phenomenon' (the fudged phrase used by the top brass to refer to mass rape). I thought it was 'just' when they entered Berlin. Wrong. Also not 'just' German women, their own too. Brutal.

Eric Vuillard’s The war on the poor.

Fictional account of Thomas Muntzer and the reformation. Very short, comes in at 80 pages.

I'm coming to the end of the audiobook a for Joe Abercrombie's first law series. Read the books previously and the audiobook are exceptional. Pacey is great and I really enjoyed working my way through them. I will do Best Served Cold and The hero's at some point too. I have already done Red Country.

Reading The Last Kingdom series still at the moment. I am on book 10 I think and will probably just work through the rest of the series.

I have a book on Mercia to read afterwards for some Non-Fiction.

Just read the new Andy Weir= Project Hail Mary. Brilliant, better than the Martian and far better than Artimis. If you like hard SF I'd recommend.

Birdbox. I remembered the film the other day and wondered what the book was like, after I'd watched it. It is my kind of book. Living in a world, alone, being suspicious of everyone else and yet wanting to trust them. Horrible deaths aplenty. The sense of foreboding smiles out of every page. It has actually had a bit of a hit on my mental health, its dragged me that far into it's world. Things fall apart.

There's a sequel too.

Last edited:
Finished The Mirror and the Light yesterday
Hard going at times, but ultimately rewarding, it hasn't left me yet and I'm struggling to find anything else I want to read next.
I've usually got at least the next 2 or 3 books lined up in my head :D
Might start working my way through Stephen King's short story collections, starting with 1978's Night Shift.

London: A Novel by Edward Rutherfurd. It tells the story of London as a city through the ages, with a different era for each chapter, finishing up in the book's publication year of 1997. I probably learnt more history from that than I did as a schoolkid.

Benjamin Bratton - The revenge of the real: politics for a post pandemic world.

two chapters in, like the style which is cutting. Agree with the premise of no return to the dysfunctional normal.

A friend has introduced me to the Murderbot Diaries series. I've no idea how I missed this before, it's wonderful.

I'm currently reading a book called Silence In The Age Of Noise by Erling Kagge. He's an explorer who walked to the South Pole alone. It's beautifully written, about listening, mindfulness, and our ability to be alone with no distractions....
Nice one - have just ordered it.

I'm currently reading The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers. My lass insisted I read it, and it's quite enjoyable, though littered with Young Adult Fictiony stuff, like all the characters have to be described physically when you first come across them, from their dress to their appearance to their personality, and there's a couple of 'kooky' characters. It's a bit irritating, but I'm carrying on cos there's a lot of space stuff in there, which is irresistible to me.

Back
Top Bottom