Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Gone back for another shot at Patrick Melrose. Glad I did, it's :eek:...just demands a bit more attention than I was giving it first time round.

I'm reading The Terror by Dan Simmons.

I'm very much enjoying it but it's quite slow and is over 1000 pages I think (I'm reading on kindle).
Its largely set in a ship stuck in ice over the North Pole for two years, so the scene is the same.
Has anyone read it ?

I'm reading The Terror by Dan Simmons.

I'm very much enjoying it but it's quite slow and is over 1000 pages I think (I'm reading on kindle).
Its largely set in a ship stuck in ice over the North Pole for two years, so the scene is the same.
Has anyone read it ?
Yeah loved it. The tv adaptation is great too. I didn’t find it slow. Plenty happens and it’s a fast read.

Yeah loved it. The tv adaptation is great too. I didn’t find it slow. Plenty happens and it’s a fast read.
Aside from the monster aspect, I am fascinated by the way humans cope under intense hardship, and the fact they volunteered for these hardships.

When I've finished this I'll probably delve into the attempts to find the north west passage - an interesting part of history for sure

Aside from the monster aspect, I am fascinated by the way humans cope under intense hardship, and the fact they volunteered for these hardships.

When I've finished this I'll probably delve into the attempts to find the north west passage - an interesting part of history for sure
My dad has a huge collection of books about Antarctic and Arctic expeditions. He has a number of books on the Franklin expedition. I can ask him about a reading list if you want?

My dad has a huge collection of books about Antarctic and Arctic expeditions. He has a number of books on the Franklin expedition. I can ask him about a reading list if you want?
Yah, if you could ask him for one catchall type book rec that would be great 👍

Rereading All the President’s Men by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein. The different tactic of trying to take an election prior to polling day as opposed to after the count.

Just finished The Hair-Carpet Weavers, by Andreas Eschbach.

it’s really quite odd, about a society where a group of men have to spend their lives weaving carpets made from the hair of their wives and daughters. They are ‘discovered’ and the search to found out wtf they do this gets underway.

a friend gave it to me after becoming frustrated at the constant changes in narrator and scene. I was tempted to do so but stuck with it and was very glad I did. Very neatly woven together plot that looks lovely at first but becomes truly awful when you step back and realise the gruesome whole.

Lord of the Rings.

Not read it for 40 years :eek: and I'd thought I'd give it another spin. It's hard to get the films out of my mind and just see the book for what it is. So far I'm enjoying it a lot.

I left my original copy in Andover bus station in 1980. If anyone's passing, could they pop in and pick it up for me. Thanks

Horizon by Barry Lopez

I'll admit I'd never heard of him. Bought on a whim (and because it's got 500 pages) it's interesting so far. Mixture of autobiography and travel, taking in six (quite extreme) regions of the world and some history I didn't know, about the occasional person mainstream history doesn't care much about. Searched him on here and I see chilango is a fan of one of his books. This is the first he's written for over 10 years.

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind me joining in, just finished Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance, I loved this book and have seen it's been turned into a film but I'm scared to watch it because the book was so good, anyone seen it?
Sorry for jumping in, I couldn't find a say hello thread x

Horizon by Barry Lopez

I'll admit I'd never heard of him. Bought on a whim (and because it's got 500 pages) it's interesting so far. Mixture of autobiography and travel, taking in six (quite extreme) regions of the world and some history I didn't know, about the occasional person mainstream history doesn't care much about. Searched him on here and I see chilango is a fan of one of his books. This is the first he's written for over 10 years.

His Arctic Dreams was brilliant (at least I thought it was when I read it, in a tent in the Arctic with not a lot else to do, 15 years ago. I still have it on my shelves, so that might say something.

I did later, however, read a couple of his others and didn't think much of the at all.

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind me joining in, just finished Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance, I loved this book and have seen it's been turned into a film but I'm scared to watch it because the book was so good, anyone seen it?
Sorry for jumping in, I couldn't find a say hello thread x

Welcome to urban. There isn't an introduce yourself thread and tbh, it generally goes better when people just dive into threads that interest them, rather than throwing a big look at me I'm new post.

The film is fine. Glenn Close is magnificent in it. Until the end of the film, I didn't realise it was based on a book. And until then, I was sort of wondering what the point of the film was. It's not that it's bad, it just doesn't go anywhere other than being about his life.

Ah didn't know Glenn Close was on it. So reluctant to watch it after reading the book. It reminded me of where the crawdads sing in as much as the feelings. I might watch it, did you actually enjoy the film? Compared to the book ?

Back
Top Bottom