Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

Proper loving Spartacus :cool: Feeling the need to read a lot more about the Servile Wars now. Had no idea how wide ranging and successful they'd been - all fired up!

just picked up a copy of Mirror and the Light.

I may be gone for a few days :)
Bloody hell, it’s getting really difficult to avoid massive spoilers. Fortunately I got to the off switch only half a sentence after one reviewer said ‘and it ends...’ tonight

I know it’s history n all that, and I know in the end He’s going to be dead, but I don’t know the detail and I’ve spent ten bloody years not googling it, so don’t screw it for me now you bastards!

Reactions: izz
That's just the problem. I'm reading a few books because I keep starting a new one about half way through. Alot of what I read is political so at the moment I'm reading Anarchy Works by Peter Gelderloos (a great read), but also Breaking Free (Tin Tin), a graphic novel with Tin Tin gone full anarchist militant mode- alot of fun that one, and I have to confess I've been reading The Leaderless Revolution by Carne Ross (not bad but not great, and not what I was expecting either), aswell as the Spanish Cockpit by Franz Berkenau, a first hand, neutral account of the Spanish Civil War, both critical and in praise of the Spanish Anarchists (an interesting read).

Berkenau praises the anarchist industrial collectives as efficient and effective, but is critical of what he hears about the anarchists' treatment of people that they (apparently wrongly) accuse of being fascists, he is also very critical of how they treated religious people. In one part of the book he describes anarchist militants forcing religious people to burn their own personal religious objects.

Last edited:
Just finished Cosby Fanni Tutti’s autobiography “Art Sex Music” and very good it was too. Some pretty grim details of her relationship (personal and professional) with GPO and s/he doesn’t come out of it well at all. It’s pointed me towards lots of other music that’s escaped my attention - although going down the “Industrial” rabbit hole is pretty strange and challenging trip at times.

Since I recently got a smartphone my reading has suffered but I am glad to say that I am now getting back into it and at the moment I have started The Road to Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson.

Initially I wondered at his humour which I have enjoyed in the past but today I found myself LOLing at it and I am sure there is a lot more amusement to come.

Currently reading Why be Happy when you Can be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson. Her writing flows so easily, and is sparse enough to keep up interest. I like how she reflects on the psychology of thoughts, feelings and human behaviour, in a way that seems therapy-informed (to me). I find myself nodding along with things I recognise, in time/place and in the things people do or how they make sense of the world. She's very perceptive.

Before that, I read The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory. Chuffed that I finished it because I haven't read a whole book in ages, years even, I thought I'd ruined my concentration for books by reading stuff online. It took me three quarters of the book to really get into it, and prefer it to browsing online. But towards the end the story picked up pace, and I was gripped. It's about Anne of Cleves and Katherine Howard, wives of Henry VIII. She's very good on the psychological aspects of the characters and how they deceive themselves, and their self-talk. Even though I knew how it was going to end, I think how she caught the atmosphere of fear and paranoia in the court of a vicious, capricious megalomaniac who thought he was the embodiment of god on earth, was very compelling. Also how she illuminated the way the world then was run by/for men, and women had very little agency, and Henry's wives were really only for one thing, getting heirs. I enjoyed it. Not the best one of hers I've read, but I love the historical detail and the historical invention in them all.

I’ve just started rereading Giovanni’s Room as I’ve been going through a bit of a James Baldwin phase. I know I read it before, I can picture the cover. It must be more than 30 years ago...but I realize I have absolutely zero recollection of what happens.:(

Just finished The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal, which I really enjoyed despite my initial uncertainty.

He traces his family history via ownership of a set of Japanese ornaments. Great writing. Fascinating story.

Highly recommended

Currently reading Why be Happy when you Can be Normal? by Jeanette Winterson. Her writing flows so easily, and is sparse enough to keep up interest. I like how she reflects on the psychology of thoughts, feelings and human behaviour, in a way that seems therapy-informed (to me). I find myself nodding along with things I recognise, in time/place and in the things people do or how they make sense of the world. She's very perceptive.
I absolutely bloody love JW to bits, and that's a great book

:cool:

Catching up on this thread - I finished the Maddadam trilogy by Margaret Attwood, which was enjoyable, but a bit loosely-written, in as much as I kept losing focus. Very topical though.

Read Kirk Douglas's autobiog The Ragman's Son, after a mate posted some allegations on FB about him following his death. He's always been a bit of a hero to me, so I thought I'd educate myself. Wish I hadn't now. He's a man of a certain generation with a bit of a fucked up childhood, and his ideas about masculinity and women left me not only cold, but open-mouthed with disgust. It was interesting to read, but has completely changed how I see him now. I didn't go into it with rose-tinted specs, but I wasn't expecting some of the stuff he came out with, at all. And some of it bordered on fucking paedophilia.

Also devoured Viv Albertine's Clothes Clothes Clothes Music Music Music Boys Boys Boys, which was an absolute joy, so much detail about that time, her honesty matches my own, and I couldn't put it down.

I started trying to read The Italian by Ann Radcliffe, on Sprocket. 's recommendation, and mate - I'm sorry but it's pretty much unreadable :D The sentence structure is ridiculously complex (yeh I know I know, 1797 and that), there's far too much unnecessary detail about landscapes and people and EVERYTHING, and I was struggling to read it and enjoy it, so it's binned for now. It would be perfect for literary analysis, there's tons I could write about it in an essay, but for pure enjoyment? Nah.

I read the 'Coronaverses: Poems from the Pandemic' anthology, in which I have two poems. All the poems in it were written in the first 2 weeks of lockdown and capture that time perfectly. Even now, reading them feels like they happened a long time ago, so much has changed since then. Worth picking up a copy if you can, as all profits go to the We Shall Overcome movement, helping homeless folk to eat and live.

Currently awaiting Bird Cloud: A Memoir Of Place by Annie Proulx (squee! I didn't even know it existed til last week!), annnnd Olive Kitteridge: A Novel in Stories, by Elizabeth Strout, as it looks like it's up my street.

Have only been doing re-reads for months...but to celebrate a new customer, I bought and have been enjoying Ted Chiang's 'Exhalation'. I really enjoy the short story genre (when done well) and having read Chiang's previous 'Stories of your life and others', I will have to introduce reading rations - although, tbf, I also bought Adrian Tchaikovsky's 'Children of Ruin'.

My world by Peter Sagan.

Strictly for pro cycling nerds like myself. It's exactly what you'd expect from Peter Sagan sitting down with a ghost writer.

Very casual and conversational. Amusing in places. And confirmation that the riders found the 2016 world championship race as boring to ride as it was to watch

William Fotheringham -Sunday in Hell.
The story behind the incredible 1976 film by Jorgen Leth of the brutal Paris - Roubaix classic A Sunday in Hell.
Cracking insight into the savage race that resulted in one of the best cycling films ever made. Built around my hero Eddy Merckx as well as Francesco Moser and Freddy Martens.
Like the Sagan book above being read by rubbershoes maybe one for the enthusiast and life long fans.

William Fotheringham -Sunday in Hell.
The story behind the incredible 1976 film by Jorgen Leth of the brutal Paris - Roubaix classic A Sunday in Hell.
Cracking insight into the savage race that resulted in one of the best cycling films ever made. Built around my hero Eddy Merckx as well as Francesco Moser and Freddy Martens.
Like the Sagan book above being read by rubbershoes maybe one for the enthusiast and life long fans.

As it happens, I watched the film this week. Quite a period piece as much as a story about the race

Lot by Bryan Washington.

Short stories set in Houston, TX, and very good. the blurb says it’s one of Obama’s favourite books of last year. I think endorsement of his sucessor or predecessor would kill sales of anything literary:(

The only good thing about the current crisis is that I finally got back into reading novels. I thought it would be non-fiction books for the rest of my life now.

I'm currently reading The Book of Strange New Things by Michel Faber whose Under the Skin was the last novel which I loved. It's about a christian missionary who travels to another planet to spread the word of Jesus, while his wife remains on earth, which is threatened by environmental disaster. The aliens are a little too keen to embrace Jesus and the previous missionary has disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

Finished Bird Cloud by Annie Proulx. Not a novel, but with some beautiful prose, and fascinating detail about flora, fauna and housebuilding!

Now on the only (but most famous) book of Ray Bradbury's that I've never read - The Martian Chronicles. Have already had several cerebral orgasms over his imagination and language super-skills. Poetic as FUCK.

Back
Top Bottom