Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

*What book are you reading? (part 2)

The middle to end is really great. The last few chapters were a bit of a drag, but it's nicely built for the next book. Can't wait.

Anyone recommend any decent books non-fiction books on China?
Contemporary-ish? Meisner's Mao's China and After, Wang Hui China's New Order worth a look, not read his more recent one on the economy.
I'm currently bang up to date reading Fire Over Luoyang about the end of the Han and the Three Kingdoms period.

Contemporary-ish? Meisner's Mao's China and After, Wang Hui China's New Order worth a look, not read his more recent one on the economy.
I'm currently bang up to date reading Fire Over Luoyang about the end of the Han and the Three Kingdoms period.

Across the spectrum so that's handy thanks. I realised why while watching Reggie in China yesterday just how little I know beyond the basics of post war China. Thanks too both.

Getting on with the Last Kingdom for now, but will fancy some non-fiction after that.

I read the Alan Moore interview where he says he can make a case for Birth of A Nation being the first superhero film which reminded me to finally have a go at Jerusalem. Its already shaping up to be great but the setting is my youth stomping grounds, pedestrians eye to all the routes, the Super Sausage all night truck stop, the tower blocks that replaced the Boroughs. Its great because I can *see* where the characters are walking, what the horizon looks like.

Last edited:
The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, cos someone bought it for the fella's birthday. Never considered reading it before, but I 'enjoyed' it, through a haze of screaming injustice and rage. Now I'm gonna have to read bloody Jane Eyre.

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn.
A true story of a middle age couple who lose everything as well as her husband being terminally ill. They decide to walk the West-Coast Path, with basic equipment and hardly any money, wild camping and going hungry often. Amazing story of the strength that being out there gives.

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn.
A true story of a middle age couple who lose everything as well as her husband being terminally ill. They decide to walk the West-Coast Path, with basic equipment and hardly any money, wild camping and going hungry often. Amazing story of the strength that being out there gives.
Ooo that sounds interesting. I'm gonna add that to my Xmas present ideas list for myself!

I'm reading The Doomsday Book by Connie Willis - 21st century historian accidentally gets stuck in 14th century Britain during the Black Death. Brilliant, really loving it.

I read the Alan Moore interview where he says he can make a case for Birth of A Nation being the first superhero film which reminded me to finally have a go at Jerusalem. Its already shaping up to be great but the setting is my youth stomping grounds, pedestrians eye to all the routes, the Super Sausage all night truck stop, the tower blocks that replaced the Boroughs. Its great because I can *see* where the characters are walking, what the horizon looks like.
Jerusalem is the only potential challenger to Ulysses for my favourite ever book.

My Absolute Darling by Gabriel Tallent.

I am enjoying it but finding the child abuse aspect a little bit upsetting tbh

Just Kids by Patti Smith.
Her years living in near destitution at times with Robert Mapplewell. A beat away from the Beat Generation and how she evolved along with Mapplewell into artists.
Enjoyable.

The Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys, cos someone bought it for the fella's birthday. Never considered reading it before, but I 'enjoyed' it, through a haze of screaming injustice and rage. Now I'm gonna have to read bloody Jane Eyre.
Incredible book, really powerful and evocative writing.

Voyage In The Dark is good too.

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Reached my annual target and fancied reading one of those books I've always wanted to get to. Considered by many to be the greatest work of literature ever written, and so far very good.

Titus Groan - Mervyn Peake.

This is a strange book, too real to be fantasy but too fantasy to be real. Peake spends a lot of time setting the scene and the imagery and world is very descriptive. The plot, as a result, just seems to meander with no real focus. Not sure if I like it or not, I like the idea of it all but it can be way too wordy at times. I’ll keep reading though.

Just read Drunken Baker by Barney Farmer - was a birthday present from my brother, only found out afterwards that it's based on a Viz strip.

It was excellent, a sort of stream of consciousness prose poem touching on alcoholism, regret, grief, the death of the high street, and the changing prospects for young people over generations. Highly recommended, and you can finish it in a single reading.

Just read Drunken Baker by Barney Farmer - was a birthday present from my brother, only found out afterwards that it's based on a Viz strip.

It was excellent, a sort of stream of consciousness prose poem touching on alcoholism, regret, grief, the death of the high street, and the changing prospects for young people over generations. Highly recommended, and you can finish it in a single reading.

If Twitter's your thing he has a good page.

Just Kids by Patti Smith.
Her years living in near destitution at times with Robert Mapplewell. A beat away from the Beat Generation and how she evolved along with Mapplewell into artists.
Enjoyable.
Mapplethorpe.
iPhone correction, (it did it again when I typed the correction) and not reading before posting. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom