Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What are you listening to right now? v2.0

I mean't to ask you (or might have already :hmm: :oops:) Fez, do you ever get down to the Hi-Fi Club in Leeds at all? Is it worth going? A colleague up here was telling me its the place to go for funk n jazz, etc?

I used to go there regularly on a Sunday and it was great. They have live bands on every week and it's free to get in. They do an awesome Sunday dinner too, so you can stay in there all day if you wanted! After the band they have DJs on playing funk and soul and that's alright too.

BUT, I went recently for the first time in years (a Friday, I think it was) and it was shite. The place was practically empty, the music was a bit crap (turgid guitar stuff) and I got started on by some dickhead for no reason.

So, I'm not sure how much my recent experience is representative of how the club is these days, but I'm in no hurry back to find out. :(

I've just discovered Nora Dean, 1960s reggae/rocksteady artiste who recorded for Studio 1 and Treasure Isle among others.

'Barb Wire' (or 'Bagwire') was her big hit, a story about meeting a boy with barbwire in his underpants and her hitting him with a brick (?). There's also 'Mojo Girl' about her using magic to mash up her lover's car if he leaves her. It's all quite unique to her and she is hard to compare to other artistes: sort of sing-song, schoolyard and chanty....

I've just discovered Nora Dean, 1960s reggae/rocksteady artiste who recorded for Studio 1 and Treasure Isle among others.

'Barb Wire' (or 'Bagwire') was her big hit, a story about meeting a boy with barbwire in his underpants and her hitting him with a brick (?). There's also 'Mojo Girl' about her using magic to mash up her lover's car if he leaves her. It's all quite unique to her and she is hard to compare to other artistes: sort of sing-song, schoolyard and chanty....

Barbwire's a fairly standard "skinhead reggae" tune.If ye like that you'll like this

Last edited:
The_Beatles_-_1967-1970.jpg

Radiohead OK computer - in the hope it'll get me out of bed, if only to switch it off before it gets to the bit that irritates me. :D

Back
Top Bottom