Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wanting To Find Out If Someone Has Passed Valid Degree

Nigel

For A Degenerates' Workers State
I have a fanily member who is usually colourful with truth who claims that they have recently passed BA Hons Degree in History!
They wish for help going on to do MA at LSE!

Is there any way of clarifying that they have passed without paying out a fee to OU to substantiate this?

I expect probably not. But if you're minded to help them, they won't actually need any money until they are enrolled at the LSE, so you could just look to be sure that that has actually happened.

Last edited:
I have a fanily member who is usually colourful with truth who claims that they have recently passed BA Hons Degree in History!

Is there any way of clarifying that they have passed without paying out a fee to OU to substantiate this?
You could ask to see their transcript which would show their marks for each course they took. Or search their name and inurl:[their uni].ac.uk, eg "Fred bloggs" inurl:lse.ac.uk. there's no easy way if they weren't active in student societies or don't want to show you their degree certificate.

You could also offer to make a contribution towards fees direct to LSE, rather than give money to them.
This is generally what I prefer to happen if a family member is helping me out - payment direct to the council against my service charges account when I had help with a major works bill a few years back, payment direct to the vet when someone helped me with a cat dental bill once. It lets them know that the money is going towards what they have offered it for and also avoids tax or benefits complications wrt gifting money if the sum is large.

It is wonderful to have family who are able and willing to help out occasionally when needed, but make sure it's all done safely and with a paper trail and going straight to where it is needed for maximum preservation of ongoing relationships.

Tell them you think they're lying and demand to see the proof.

Maybe not the most harmonious approach, but avoids faffing about behind their back.

You could ask to see their transcript which would show their marks for each course they took. Or search their name and inurl:[their uni].ac.uk, eg "Fred bloggs" inurl:lse.ac.uk. there's no easy way if they weren't active in student societies or don't want to show you their degree certificate.
Thanks Pickman
Good advice!

You could also offer to make a contribution towards fees direct to LSE, rather than give money to them.
This is generally what I prefer to happen if a family member is helping me out - payment direct to the council against my service charges account when I had help with a major works bill a few years back, payment direct to the vet when someone helped me with a cat dental bill once. It lets them know that the money is going towards what they have offered it for and also avoids tax or benefits complications wrt gifting money if the sum is large.

It is wonderful to have family who are able and willing to help out occasionally when needed, but make sure it's all done safely and with a paper trail and going straight to where it is needed for maximum preservation of ongoing relationships.
Good advice!
Keeping 'paper trail' is good idea!

There's a website called Hedd that you can use to check if someone's degree is valid. But you need consent from the person concerned, so you might as well just ask them.

Universities used to publish lists of degrees awarded.

This link suggests they're still public information but you may have to make a FoI request

(I don't think this is a factor in this situation, but just noting that you don't necessarily require an undergraduate degree to do a Masters, particularly as a mature student - career experience can substitute.)

If it was a Covid era completion, they probably did their graduation virtually over zoom - this could be available online somewhere?

Universities used to publish lists of degrees awarded.

This link suggests they're still public information but you may have to make a FoI request
Some still publish in various newspapers, for example Scottish Universities tend to use the Scotsman or the Herald, Aberdeen/Dundee may use the Press and Journal pogofish will know.

I don't know about English universities.

I would think that would only be the case if they were trying to obtain pecuniary advantage, such as employment.
I think that's generally the most likely situation where it might arise, but in principle, any use of a claimed degree to gain some advantage or benefit seems to be covered. Degrees seem to come under a different category to, say, an HND in needlework :D

Nigel - is it that you're willing and able to help them pay to continue in education if you're sure you know where the money is going? (Assuming 'help' means paying some or all of the costs.) If so, can you not just ask for bank details or a link to the LSE website's payment page for the course, as others have similarly suggested?

Or is there more to it, and you primarily want to investigate their honesty?

Something else?

Back
Top Bottom