Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VR headset Oculus Rift

if i go to the states in the next few months, il let you know and see if i can pick one up for you and ship it back via work tax exempt ;)

Ok, so I had a go on the DK2

It's much better than DK1, which I tried at Rezzed a couple of years ago. The positional tracking really helps. I tried out Titans of Space, which is excellent, some other space game where you can fly round the solar system, this demo where you sit across the table from a woman who just looks you in the eye and it's really unsettling, and finally the boiler room from Spirited Away, which was *fantastic* - I could kneel down and watch the little soot demons carrying coal. So cool.

I was still very much aware that I had a screen strapped to my face though. Didn't experience "presence" as they call it. It would have helped if I'd gone through the calibration process, which we didn't really have time for.

Definitely wait for the consumer version. This thing is very cool, but it can be much better.

Ok, so I had a go on the DK2

It's much better than DK1, which I tried at Rezzed a couple of years ago. The positional tracking really helps. I tried out Titans of Space, which is excellent, some other space game where you can fly round the solar system, this demo where you sit across the table from a woman who just looks you in the eye and it's really unsettling, and finally the boiler room from Spirited Away, which was *fantastic* - I could kneel down and watch the little soot demons carrying coal. So cool.

I was still very much aware that I had a screen strapped to my face though. Didn't experience "presence" as they call it. It would have helped if I'd gone through the calibration process, which we didn't really have time for.

Definitely wait for the consumer version. This thing is very cool, but it can be much better.

What was the resolution like? When I tried the first version it seemed super low-res with jaggies everywhere.

What was the resolution like? When I tried the first version it seemed super low-res with jaggies everywhere.
Much better, but still needs improvement
The most crucial thing is good anti-aliasing. The second space game I played didn't have any at all. It had a really detailed model of the ISS in it, but it was a shimmering mess of pixels due to the aliasing.

Anyone watch the E3 thing yesterday?

I just can't wait to use the Microsoft Xbox One controller and stream Microsoft Xbox One games via Microsoft Windows 10 to my virtual living room.

iu

I guess Valve wins :D

Just got a DK2 off eBay. It arrived today. Haven't done much with it yet, but impressed so far. Resolution is as crap as I knew it would be, but given the strains on graphics card and need for high framerate, I think we'll be stuck with broadly this sort of res for this generation of VR.

Is the technology good enough with this gen of VR to make it succeed where it failed in the past? Maybe. It's close, but I wouldn't quite bet on it.

Just got a DK2 off eBay. It arrived today. Haven't done much with it yet, but impressed so far. Resolution is as crap as I knew it would be, but given the strains on graphics card and need for high framerate, I think we'll be stuck with broadly this sort of res for this generation of VR.

Is the technology good enough with this gen of VR to make it succeed where it failed in the past? Maybe. It's close, but I wouldn't quite bet on it.

So PC only until the next gen of consoles, which is a fair few years away?

Is oculus out this year like I was told to sit tight for then?
Early next. But the HTC/Valve Vive wil be out for xmas. Reports say it's as good if not better than the consumer version of the Rift, although the Rift's hand-tracking controllers are supposed to have the edge over the Vive's wands.

Are there even any good games planned for them? I'm looking forward to any simulators that will be compatible. And going to the movies on your own apps.

All you get with the rift and the xbone (and a pc in between) is a big virtual screen to play xbone games on.

I'm not convinced that the game types some people imagine would be great in VR are actually going to give VR legs. I say this mostly because of the sense of motion you get off the thing - even when the weirdness/nausea-inducing things like lag, low framerate of sub-par head tracking are eliminated, the very movement of your being through the virtual world poses a range of challenges when faced with the pace of many games. Its easy to make the player feel horrible with VR.

So I suspect that if VR doesn't die a death this time, it'll be down to experiences somewhat different to the games some imagine right now.

Time magazine decided to gush extensively about the potential of VR, but all the internet seems to care about is how silly the front cover is.

the-internet-does-not-like-the-new-time-magazine-cover-about-virtual-reality.jpg

Back
Top Bottom