Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volleyball... most underrated Olympic sport?

nightowl

Another day on that hamster wheel we call life
I'm talking about the six-player indoor game as opposed to beach. I can see why the latter gets the publicity but the former is so superior in terms of the rallies and excitement. Perhaps it's because GB doesn't feature much internationally (apart from 2012 when we were guaranteed teams as hosts) that we don't see it given much publicity in the UK but it feels people are missing out. Give it a watch.

I'm talking about the six-player indoor game as opposed to beach. I can see why the latter gets the publicity but the former is so superior in terms of the rallies and excitement. Perhaps it's because GB doesn't feature much internationally (apart from 2012 when we were guaranteed teams as hosts) that we don't see it given much publicity in the UK but it feels people are missing out. Give it a watch.
Massive here in China, no doubt because the women especially are pretty good at it; beat the US in a pool match which doesn't happen to the latter often. Agree it's a great sport.

Massive here in China, no doubt because the women especially are pretty good at it; beat the US in a pool match which doesn't happen to the latter often. Agree it's a great sport.
When did they start playing in swimming pools. :eek: :hmm:

I'd been really looking forward to seeing this live last week, and it didn't disappoint (aside from it being a slightly one-sided game, and the team I was nominally supporting being on the wrong side of it :( ).

The venue was LOUD, including one Brazilian behind us who might be the single loudest person I've ever been in the presence of (and I say that as someone who is often told they're too loud :oops: ).

Keen to develop a bit more understanding of the tactics and rhythms of the game, but was great to watch, with some very exciting rallies full of "how did they get that??!" moments.

It occurred to me while watching that one interesting aspect is that being allowed three touches of the ball can allow for more attacking gameplay. Unlike tennis, where successfully defending a particularly hard shot often means simply managing to get it back over the net, in volleyball if you do manage to successfully dig out a shot, you then still have more of a chance to set up your own attack.

Good match currently playing out between Italy and Japan men.

Italy saved something like 3-4 match points to take the third set, now up by two in the fourth.

Make that three!

It's one of those sports which is great to play and to watch. I would love to have played more volleyball 40 years ago. As it turned out we were supposed to be grateful for our comprehensive giving us about, ooh, 3 chances as opposed to the gazillion football and rugby matches we were supposed to be enthused about. (I loved football too, but not for the school - long tale about sadistic cunt of PE teacher a lot of kids in my year - not just those that hated PE - walked away from, quite literally.)

It's one of those sports which is great to play and to watch. I would love to have played more volleyball 40 years ago. As it turned out we were supposed to be grateful for our comprehensive giving us about, ooh, 3 chances as opposed to the gazillion football and rugby matches we were supposed to be enthused about. (I loved football too, but not for the school - long tale about sadistic cunt of PE teacher a lot of kids in my year - not just those that hated PE - walked away from, quite literally.)
It was only a few years ago that I suddenly remembered I'd ever played volleyball, pretty sure for at least a whole term, if not multiple! :oops: :facepalm: :D

But yeah, as discussed elsewhere, access to all these sports is so vital. Not just for anyone who might be 'successful', but purely so people can find whatever it is they'll enjoy.

Fuck me, and just as I type that, Italy saved yet another match point before winning the next two points to take their own. Back from 0-2 sets down to win 3-2! :eek:

Gutted for Japan, though. I'm a fan of the place/people generally, but from what I could tell this volleyball team are quite fancied and good fun to watch.

Italy beat USA quite comfortably, 3-0, in the women's gold medal match.

"I don't think the USA even had a chance to play badly today", was the commentator's summary of how dominant Italy were.

I may have misheard, but I think he also said Italy had never even made it to a SF before this Games!

I have seen many things on the internet, but nothing has shocked me more than this thread. We had to play volleyball at school, and it was the dullest thing ever. The only thing I could conceive of that would be worse was having to watch it. I can just about see why people would care about rugby, football, cricket and golf (in increasing order of dreariness), but fucking volleyball? Have I entered an alternate universe?

I have seen many things on the internet, but nothing has shocked me more than this thread. We had to play volleyball at school, and it was the dullest thing ever. The only thing I could conceive of that would be worse was having to watch it. I can just about see why people would care about rugby, football, cricket and golf (in increasing order of dreariness), but fucking volleyball? Have I entered an alternate universe?
Fucking golf??! Fuck off! :D

I mean, each to their own, but I'm surprised you find it dull, of all things. What do you think it's missing that all those other sports do have, in terms of keeping your interest, at least?

I wouldn't say that I had an active interest in the other sports. It's more a question of which I would choose if someone put a gun to my head and offered me the choice of watching one or having my brains blown out.

Maybe it's just the hatred I developed from being forced to play it. But people do more interesting things in other sports. Volleyball is just people trying to get a ball over a net. OK, so is tennis, and I can almost enjoy a bit of tennis around Wimbledon, being transported back to my university days, when it was a way of winding down after exams. But somehow it's different when it's one on one. I don't watch tennis doubles in the same way, and with volleyball there are far too many people.

Back
Top Bottom