Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

Nope, not Fagradalsfjall - that's further east.

the fuss is about an intrusion - about 15km long - passing from just to the south west of Grindvik to the north east - and passing very close to the NW suburbs. The sill appears to have a subsea extension.
the Icelandic Met Office updated at 18:30 GMT [11th November 2023] with a map showing the sill / dyke line, as opposed to the earthquake swarms shown previously.

Nope, not Fagradalsfjall - that's further east.

the fuss is about an intrusion - about 15km long - passing from just to the south west of Grindvik to the north east - and passing very close to the NW suburbs. The sill appears to have a subsea extension.
the Icelandic Met Office updated at 18:30 GMT [11th November 2023] with a map showing the sill / dyke line, as opposed to the earthquake swarms shown previously.

How does this compare in scale to previous eruptions? Assuming it will.

If this erupts under the sea, what are the repercussions?
It does appear to be along a fault line.. is that correct?

Could this cause a tsunami if it erupts all along the fault line?

If this erupts under the sea, what are the repercussions?
It does appear to be along a fault line.. is that correct?

Could this cause a tsunami if it erupts all along the fault line?
For a typical submarine eruption near Iceland - see Surtsey ...
e2a - Surtsey - Wikipedia

I would say it is very unlikely to cause a tsunami, although seawater + magma/lava = explosions & ash

Last edited:
I don’t live in Iceland, though. All we’ll get is cloud. It’s not going to be Krakatoa
I don't imagine the poor sods from Grindavik who don't know if their homes will still be there by next weekend are so blithe.

I'm hearing plenty of good things about how the people and the government have put their arms round those affected, making sure they're safe, warm and fed. Imagine the same threat to the residents of Merthyr, or Easterhouse, or Bolsover. "Come this way, we have room on this prison ship - you can wait it out in Rwanda"

I'm hearing plenty of good things about how the people and the government have put their arms round those affected, making sure they're safe, warm and fed. Imagine the same threat to the residents of Merthyr, or Easterhouse, or Bolsover. "Come this way, we have room on this prison ship - you can wait it out in Rwanda"
I suppose that's an ingrained cultural thing given it's a tiny population in a country with a hostile environment. But I agree the govt here would leave people to their own devices - or if they're lucky, sleeping in the sports hall of a local school or whatever.

The good thing about volcanic eruptions is that they counter global warming.
Not always !
quite a few volcanoes emit significant quantities of carbon and sulphur oxides, as well as water vapour.
and the ash / dust has mixed effects depending on whether you look at it while airborne or once it's landed ...

Reactions: PTK
Back
Top Bottom