Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Volcano and Earthquake watch

Mount Etna's erupted again. Surprised no sign of it on this thread - or have I missed it?
Spookily, we were chatting about Mt Etna going off just the other day.

It happened in The White Lotus and we were discussing how spectacular the sunsets are after a big eruption. So, obvs, this is my fault. Sorry, Sicily.

I shall ensure I don't talk about pandemics, nuclear war etc for the foreseeable.

Mount Etna's erupted again. Surprised no sign of it on this thread - or have I missed it?
Annoyingly I missed it by a few days. Was passing through the area. Had been on Vulcano where they'd obviously thought a little more about prep for evacuation since I had last been there.
Steaming summit of Vulcano. Warning signs. Gas emissions around the mud solfatara.
Anyway, Halemaʻumaʻu, Kilauea kicked off earlier today. Fascinating crater floor to explore and exciting to think about the possible escape options as you did so.

Mayon [in the Philippines] is back in active eruption, and evacuations taking place.

item on the social background during the evacuations by the BBC
{much as I like volcanoes, I don't think I would relish living near to one with the record Mayon has for explosive eruptions}.

3.3 quake in Staffordshire last night.

screengrab of tweet from news thump saying 'staffordshire earthquake causes millions of pounds of improvements to stoke on trent'

Last edited:
Wonder how long this eruption will last ...

The trend for new vents / fissures in this area appears to be north-east[-ish] and getting closer to the airport, although currently only affecting an uninhabited area.

webcams etc linky [camera sites not exceptionally close to the fissure]

Wonder how long this eruption will last ...

The trend for new vents / fissures in this area appears to be north-east[-ish] and getting closer to the airport, although currently only affecting an uninhabited area.

webcams etc linky [camera sites not exceptionally close to the fissure]

One of the videos is looking particularly nice at the moment

volcanic eruption in Iceland showing lava fountaining out of a fissure

I forgot about this thread. Last week my Iceland living mate phoned me and said we've got earthquakes again so come over and see the imminent eruption :D One of these days I will run to the airport and go and see it for myself.

A nice pic of Etna

Mount Etna erupting at night.  Photo by Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

It looks like there will be an eruption in Iceland to the South of Reykjavík.

This guy has some good videos on it and owns a drone with a thermal imaging camera.

This is last night's update.

Was a mag5 'quake yesterday morning - and the IGS reckon that the magma's intrusion rate is around 5cubicmetres per second.
Today [10th Nov 2023] the authorities are working on [?] evacuation plans for Grindavik.

Shiveluch [?] & Klyuchevskoy on the Kamchatka peninsula are also having a spat atm ...

Both often chuck ash high into the atmosphere - which can create some spectacular sunset/sunrise colours.

It would appear that magma is being intruded under Grindvik itself ... so the authorities say the town is to be evacuated.

e2a - my interpretation is that there is a lot of magma, and seismic readings indicate that the intrusion now includes dykes and well as the original sill. That's rather worrying as a dyke cuts across strata and the magma could be moving towards the surface ...

Back
Top Bottom