Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Virgin pendolino trains - awful things

The InterCity 225 (that the ECML trains) were also designed to do 140mph, but the lack of cab signalling means that 125 is still the upper limit for them too.
Also, the overhead wires on the ECML were done on a very very tight budget and wouldn't be able to handle 140mph trains

Privatisation has all but robbed me of my love of train travel.
Um, why? Train travel has seen tremendous improvements over the past few years.

I tend use Megabus or National Express for any inter-city travel, I may get a train to London if I can get the cheapest ticket from Manchester, but most times it costs half as much to go on the coach, if that.
But coach travel is a bit shit compared with the train, especially for long journeys. On a train you travel faster, don't get stuck in traffic jams, aren't on boring motorways all the time, and you can get up and move around; you can't do that on a coach. And I've heard bad things about Megabus over on Trip Advisor. I'd choose the train every time.
They'd need in-cab signalling to go that fast, because trackside signals aren't visible for long enough as they zoom past. That was supposed to be included in the big upgrade project, but it got cut when they went over budget.
That's what I was getting at.

Um, why? Train travel has seen tremendous improvements over the past few years.
New trains that are not as comfortable (or have any character) compared with BR era trains, which I would begrudgingly live with if it wasn't so bloody expensive to use them.

The InterCity 225 (that the ECML trains) were also designed to do 140mph, but the lack of cab signalling means that 125 is still the upper limit for them too.
There's a section that is signalled for 140mph (with a flashing green fifth aspect), but it was never approved for passenger running. The Mk4 coaches were also designed to allow tilt equipment to be retro fitted, but I think that space is now occupied with other equipment now.

New trains that are not as comfortable (or have any character) compared with BR era trains, which I would begrudgingly live with if it wasn't so bloody expensive to use them.
What makes you think that if BR were still around they wouldn't have introduced exactly the same, or similar trains? And the "no character" thing is a load of sentimental nonsense in reality. People have been saying that about "new" trains ever since they got rid of steam. They said it about the trains you are looking back so fondly at. We can't go travelling around on 101s for ever. Most people want to to travel on safer modern transport designed for the 21st traveller's needs, not the 1950s.

And Advance tickets are available dirt cheap, and fares get even cheaper with the variety of Rail Cards that are available.

Continental Europe seem to do decent modern trains. At least if the network was still nationalised, we wouldn't be having continuous inflation-busting fare hikes for the sake of the shareholders.

Also these "Advance" fares are pretty much like fairy dust, and seldom available for the times you may wish to travel. Also I am too old for a Young Person's Railcard, too single and childless for Family Railcard, and too young for a Senior Railcard.

Continental Europe seem to do decent modern trains. At least if the network was still nationalised, we wouldn't be having continuous inflation-busting fare hikes for the sake of the shareholders.
How many more times? It's the government's fault and nothing to do with privatisation. Do you think TOCs just set whatever fares they like? They don't.

The TOCs hardly make any profit on fares.

Also these "Advance" fares are pretty much like fairy dust, and seldom available for the times you may wish to travel.
They are if you book early enough. And if you want to travel at peak times of course the fare will be more.

How many more times? It's the government's fault and nothing to do with privatisation. Do you think TOCs just set whatever fares they like? They don't.

The TOCs hardly make any profit on fares.
I find that hard to accept, if they didn't make any profit, why would they be in the business? Why all the outrage when fares are hiked - again? Anyway, regardless of who is to blame, the fact is train fares in this country are extortionate, some of the highest in Europe. Simple as.

They are if you book early enough. And if you want to travel at peak times of course the fare will be more.
I have looked up train times right up to the magic "12 weeks" in advance (or even a month or so away), and found the selection extremely limited. I know where of I speak.

I find that hard to accept, if they didn't make any profit, why would they be in the business? Why all the outrage when fares are hiked - again?
I didn't say "no profit". People seem to think the TOCs are raking it in, when in reality the profit margin on fares is something like 5%.

Anyway, regardless of who is to blame, the fact is train fares in this country are extortionate, some of the highest in Europe. Simple as.
That a statistic that people like to trot out, but unless you're comparing exactly the same kind of service over the same distance with the same frequency of trains with the same popularity with the same level or less of government subsidy it's meaningless.

I have looked up train times right up to the magic "12 weeks" in advance (or even a month or so away), and found the selection extremely limited. I know where of I speak.
12 weeks isn't a hard and fast rule, it's just a guide, and by only a month to go the cheapest tickets have probably already gone for busy services. Some TOCs let you sign up for alerts for when tickets are available, like EC (or at least state when you can book up to on their website). I do that, then grab the cheapest tickets as soon as they are.

If I remember correctly there's space for just three bicycles on the whole train. And if people park prams or are in wheelchairs you don't have a hope of travelling with your bike. Grr.

If I remember correctly there's space for just three bicycles on the whole train. And if people park prams or are in wheelchairs you don't have a hope of travelling with your bike. Grr.
In the old days people used to fold up their prams/pushchairs before they got on public transport. Now it seems they just can't be bothered and try to cram on their unfolded double buggy, complete with screaming brats, taking up space. Only the other month I had to clamber over some woman's pushchair that was blocking access to the aisle on a 395.

19 times out of 20, if I wish to travel somewhere a coach (be it Megabus or National Express) will beat the train hands down in regards to price. Also if you are travelling certain routes where the trains are pretty sluggish, such as Manchester to Leeds, Manchester to Liverpool, or Plymouth to Exeter/Bristol, the coach isn't that much slower than the train.

I just had look and (four) bikes are stored in a separate compartment, so why would there be pushchairs or people in wheelchairs there? And one can reserve a place.

I made the schoolboy error of getting up a few minutes before the train pulled in to Euston and then being stuck in a queue forced to inhale the formidable whiff of piss in the corridor.

My first experience of Virgin running the West Coast line was being chucked out at Crewe on xmas eve and being told to make our own way home.

First time I saw a Pendolino it took me a minute to work out what was wrong. About half of it was First Class carriages and sure enough, Standard Class was miserably overcrowded.

If you wanted to travel in anything resembling comfort, you had to either travel at peak time (currently about £300 return) or travel First Class (costing fuck-knows how much more)

Finally last year (around the time the contract was about to be taken off them) they added a couple more Standard carriages (called "F" and "U") with weirdly miniaturised luggage spaces.

The only real design fault is the loos. Everything else is stupid compromises forced on after the fact. Though that's taking into account that the cramped width isn't a design fault, just a requirement due to tilting and poor clearances. At least they still tilt. Cram your ass onto a Super Voyager and revel in the fact that you have no shoulder room and they locked out the tilt mechanism years ago.

They didn't order enough trains with enough cars. So the seating's crammed in as dense as possible with no luggage/bike space. This is the main fault of the type, but it's not the fault of the train or of Virgin. It's a government that's content to subsidize the railways to the tune of tens of billions but cuts corners in stupid places that's to blame.

The shoulder room thing contributes to the impact of overcrowding. Two blokes with a normal/stocky build simply can't sit comfortably together. I'm fairly wide in the shoulders and have to look for someone tiny to sit next to.

Did the government mandate that 4 out of 9 carriages (or whatever it was before they added in the F & U ones) had to be first class?

Or was that Virgin trying to push differential pricing onto what had formerly been a public service?

1/3 of the train being First is no different to East Coast or Great Western. And yes, the DfT does set out guidelines for First vs. Standard class seating.

Closer to half when you figure that one of the 5 Standard class is the buffet car.

I'm comparing this to British Rail rather than other privatised rail companies.

From what I recall First was more like 20% than 50% of a BR inter-city train.

Hence I infer that the change in ratio was an attempt to impose differential pricing.

This is in the interests of the train company and against those of the customers. Although I guess it might also be something that neo-liberal ideologues in government or the civil service would be into.

Well that's rather pointless, isn't it?

It's 1/3. Remember that the first carriage is about 75% luggage and kitchen before you get to 1st Class seating.

My point is that the ratio of first to standard has pretty evidently changed since privatisation, and that this appears to be an attempt to impose differential pricing by coercing customers who can afford it into upgrading rather than suffering much shittier conditions.

I've been using these services on a regular basis to travel to and from Liverpool since I was a student in the late 70's and these changes are absolutely evident to me.

By making Standard more cramped and overcrowded, and First considerably more comfortable, with better air-con and less rank piss smells, Virgin (and no doubt other train companies too) can charge vastly inflated prices for First (and for Peak Standard) in the knowledge that anyone who is in the fortunate position of being able to value comfort over price (e.g. because they're on expenses or just rich) will upgrade.

This leaves those who can't afford to upgrade in much worse conditions than they experienced under BR.

It thereby discriminates against a large segment of the public.

It's been a while since I was last on a Eurostar, but they were looking and feeling pretty tired even then.

Back
Top Bottom