Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Virgin pendolino trains - awful things

I know someone who is getting in the 142 mileage already - his story of a rough trip to Goole and an even rougher pub visit was entertaining.

IME there's nothing other than rough pubs in Goole ... aside from the Macintosh Arms, which is a genuinely nice boozer. I did notice from a train through there last week, though, that the old station pub, the North Eastern, is shut and boarded up.

ETA: Also a lot of the local services around Newcastle could another place where Pacers make their last stand, e.g. Newcastle-Sunderland/Middlesborough, Newcastle-Morpeth, and Newcastle-Carlisle.
Newcastle - Carlisle tends to mostly be 156s these days.

Bishop Auckland - Saltburn would be another contender

What happened to all the MK3 stock displaced by the introduction of pendelinos & voyagers? Did a lot of it get exported or something? It was good stuff, can't imagine them scrapping a lot of it (I'm sat in a Mk3 as I'm typing this, an HST running under the wires on the Eastcoast line).

What happened to all the MK3 stock displaced by the introduction of pendelinos & voyagers? Did a lot of it get exported or something? It was good stuff, can't imagine them scrapping a lot of it (I'm sat in a Mk3 as I'm typing this, an HST running under the wires on the Eastcoast line).

Very little has been scrapped - most of it went to new homes - 11 whole sets run Norwich to Liverpool Street for example , - some were converted into HST sets or used by Chiltern (refurbished to an excellent standard) - probably the best rolling stock ever to run in the UK !

Very little has been scrapped - most of it went to new homes - 11 whole sets run Norwich to Liverpool Street for example , - some were converted into HST sets or used by Chiltern (refurbished to an excellent standard) - probably the best rolling stock ever to run in the UK !

I believe its surplus MK3 sleepers that have been scrapped very few MK3 HST MK3A/MK3B loco hauled stock has been scrapped unless due to unrepairable collision damage

I still have fond memories of them running a short rake of the later MK2 stock on the peak Leeds-Harrogate service in the mid-2000s, with a tractor on each end. So much nicer than a unit! Still pretty crowded, I'd rarely be able to buy a ticket from the gripper before I got off at Burley Park. I think they used the same stock for running daytime services on the S&C.

I believe its surplus MK3 sleepers that have been scrapped very few MK3 HST MK3A/MK3B loco hauled stock has been scrapped unless due to unrepairable collision damage

The bogies of many of the sleepers have been donated to keep their brothers and sisters going ...(fair enough) - bogies being the most expensive part of a vehicle ...

I think the only unused cars were some surplus buffet cars - and FGW (well done to them) - have converted about 8 of them to "normal" high density standard vehicles. The cascade of the MK3's drove out the Mk2 sets (bar a couple on the Scotrail sleeper) - some of which were junked and others fetchingly converted and regauged for Kiwi Rail in NZ....

I still have fond memories of them running a short rake of the later MK2 stock on the peak Leeds-Harrogate service in the mid-2000s, with a tractor on each end. So much nicer than a unit! Still pretty crowded, I'd rarely be able to buy a ticket from the gripper before I got off at Burley Park. I think they used the same stock for running daytime services on the S&C.

They did York - Harrogate - Leeds - Carlisle via the S+C (the idea of a friend of mine) - saved 2 DMU sets and of course got the bonus of covering both a commute flow into Leeds and a nice train for the daytime window gazers / tourists etc. I put some loco hauled trains on the Bletchley- Bedford line back in the day using MK2's - the locals loved them , - trains became over popular with men of a certain interest who bought a weekly season and sat on the trains all day / every day / - depriving the baseload traffic of schoolkids of their seats !!!

They did York - Harrogate - Leeds - Carlisle via the S+C (the idea of a friend of mine) - saved 2 DMU sets and of course got the bonus of covering both a commute flow into Leeds and a nice train for the daytime window gazers / tourists etc.

If I wasn't getting the train and was cycling or busing home it used to be a familiar site to see photographers on the footbridge over the dual carriageway bit of Armley Road taking advantage of the elevated viewpoint to catch the commuter specials.

I don't know if there are still any similar services running - only diesel loco hauled I'm aware of are the welsh parliamentary & the sleepers (caught sight of one of the latter trains in Penzance last week). Are there still workings in Wessex or Shropshire?

I've had a few trips on cross country trains of late, and pendolinos are luxury compared to the god awful trains they run.

Packed, filthy with ground food in the carpets and the toilets are something else. Either none of them are working or they are in a right state. One today looked like someone had puked on the floor and, bizarrely, shit all over the sink. As you do.

The odd thing was the toilet itself was actually clean. :confused:

A few weeks ago I'd booked a direct train from London to Bangor, a 4 hour journey to finish our holiday. Great...nice seats for the family on the usually packed train, no changes til we got home.

EXCEPT! Every single toilet stopped working...a nightmare with a 7 year old boy in tow as you can imagine.

We all (everybody on the train!) had to get off and change trains in Chester because of the toilet situation.

21st centurey rail travel in the UK...brilliant!

(I did complain, and received £40 train vouchers)

Back
Top Bottom