Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vests are amazing

ska invita

back on the other side
If you don't own vests buy some
Incredible how they keep you warm - massive difference - without getting overly hot and heavy from wearing thick clothes

Judging by B&W films when men took their shirts off they were a staple. For some reason they have died out. Need bringing back.

Be The Best. Buy A Vest.

Last edited:
I wear longjohns and a thermal long sleeve top as my undergarments from about october till may. I like the look of the vest- especially the racer-back ones- but they don't cover enough of my skin

I wear longjohns and a thermal long sleeve top as my undergarments from about october till may. I like the look of the vest- especially the racer-back ones- but they don't cover enough of my skin
has to be pretty cold for me to get to that stage - near zero - but yeah do own

String vests are kind of magical - less sweaty perhaps?
Need to do some side by side comparison tests with a standard cut

Like the bowler hat, braces and the waistcoat, a cornerstone of the British male wardrobe is passing into obsolescence.

At least, that's what the business brains at Tesco and Asda believe, as this week they announced that the string vest will be withdrawn from sale. …
It has been British men who most enthusiastically adopted the vest, with popularity peaking in the 1950s. While civilian men appreciated that the string vest's unique construction kept them both cool in the heat and warm in the cold, these attributes eventually came to the attention of the British government. …

Dr Mark Lancaster [UCL Physics & Astronomy] says: "All these fancy materials used to make sports underwear now are really just glorified string vests; Michael Hunt went up Everest in a string vest and a shirt, so they can't be that bad. The holes in the fabric channel out the sweat, while the remaining fibres trap warm air next to your skin.

"Any clothing has got fibres in it, which keep you warm by trapping the air between them. On a string vest, the fibres are further apart, so it only works if you wear a shirt on top. Rab C Nesbitt had it wrong when he wore one on its own, but with another layer, the warm air can be trapped in the holes between the strings.

"The advantage of a string vest over a normal close-weave one is that you don't overheat: whilst a conventional vest keeps you warmer, because the holes in the fabric are small, it is less good at transferring sweat away from your skin." …

For some reason they have died out
Onslow Bucket was still wearing one in the 90s

DdA46ZPWAAAh6ip

Cedric Daniels from the Wire also favours a vest:

hqdefault.jpg

_iJACCfvbmLoOHQK4Y4bR2k8-yJmBeXGnIxRtj48F74.jpg

2010's. america though

I like the few vests I have, I only wear them round the house or when it's hot though. I believe I look oafish in them but I don't care. Never bother with the thermal kind as they always make me too hot at times I'm likely to need them (work or when out and about )

I wouldn't know where to buy some at the moment.

But I could do with some .. of that there is no doubt.

I wouldn't know where to buy some at the moment.

But I could do with some .. of that there is no doubt.
3 for £24 - a bit steep - but cotton and perferated
what im wearing right now
Id like to find a cheaper source

SD_03_T14_7210D_Z0_X_EC_90

String vests are kind of magical - less sweaty perhaps?
Need to do some side by side comparison tests with a standard cut

Like the bowler hat, braces and the waistcoat, a cornerstone of the British male wardrobe is passing into obsolescence.

At least, that's what the business brains at Tesco and Asda believe, as this week they announced that the string vest will be withdrawn from sale. …
It has been British men who most enthusiastically adopted the vest, with popularity peaking in the 1950s. While civilian men appreciated that the string vest's unique construction kept them both cool in the heat and warm in the cold, these attributes eventually came to the attention of the British government. …

Dr Mark Lancaster [UCL Physics & Astronomy] says: "All these fancy materials used to make sports underwear now are really just glorified string vests; Michael Hunt went up Everest in a string vest and a shirt, so they can't be that bad. The holes in the fabric channel out the sweat, while the remaining fibres trap warm air next to your skin.

"Any clothing has got fibres in it, which keep you warm by trapping the air between them. On a string vest, the fibres are further apart, so it only works if you wear a shirt on top. Rab C Nesbitt had it wrong when he wore one on its own, but with another layer, the warm air can be trapped in the holes between the strings.

"The advantage of a string vest over a normal close-weave one is that you don't overheat: whilst a conventional vest keeps you warmer, because the holes in the fabric are small, it is less good at transferring sweat away from your skin." …

I'll never forget the episode where Rab was on holiday, and looking down from the balcony spotted a Spanish version of himself. :D

Back
Top Bottom