Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Very easy and very cheap way to extend WiFi range.

Coming late to the thread but:

1700748467837.png

or so I'm reliably informed.

I did actually a small aluminium sheetlet down the back of the router to try to concentrate the signal towards where I was using it. I'll swear it did work but I can't remember why I don't use it any more.

Coming late to the thread but:

View attachment 401225

or so I'm reliably informed.

I did actually a small aluminium sheetlet down the back of the router to try to concentrate the signal towards where I was using it. I'll swear it did work but I can't remember why I don't use it any more.
What's the suggestion we should eat so many pringles we can't even move between rooms? Because I might be on track for that anyway. :D

How did the mesh work for you C?

I am in sim situ as OP (good broadband - bad wifi). House square footage is average, but its split over 3 floors and the Virgin box is at the top of the house. The numbers for a speed test are great (when it works...sometimes its so slow the speed-test fails) but I get the 'feeling' that the boxes own wifi is poor. Sometimes cant get decent signal in room beside the box! I cant get the box any closer to the rooms that its needed in, and I only recently discovered Mesh. I think its what I need, so would be interested to see how you got on C.

PS the mesh sets (that I see on amazon) seem to come in sets of 2 or 3. My understanding of setup is that one connects (via cable) to the box and the others are placed around the house to extend / boost range. Is there a difference between the one thats cable connected and the boosters? Or can any of the 3 be cable connected? If I want a 4th to get into poor areas, can I just buy 1 of same make as the 3 and plug n play?

thanks in advance
Most mesh systems can be connected by wire or wirelessly. Wirelessly is better, but it's not a big deal if you can get good coverage. Mine have a dedicated back channel for inter-node traffic, so it works pretty well without wires. It's nice to be able to walk around the whole house and not get weird hangs and drops any more.

So yes, you'd have the master node physically hooked to your router and the rest can be added on willy-nilly, wired or not. I'm in a 3-bed, 2-storey maisonette made of concrete and 3 nodes is just fine.
In theory, the main node should offer better speed, but in practical use everywhere is Fast Enough (>100Mbps).

Most mesh systems can be connected by wire or wirelessly. Wirelessly is better, but it's not a big deal if you can get good coverage. Mine have a dedicated back channel for inter-node traffic, so it works pretty well without wires. It's nice to be able to walk around the whole house and not get weird hangs and drops any more.

So yes, you'd have the master node physically hooked to your router and the rest can be added on willy-nilly, wired or not. I'm in a 3-bed, 2-storey maisonette made of concrete and 3 nodes is just fine.
In theory, the main node should offer better speed, but in practical use everywhere is Fast Enough (>100Mbps).

Isn't a wired mesh just APs with wired backhaul. On my Omada kit and the Unifi I used in my old job, mesh referred to if they weren't cabled.

Isn't a wired mesh just APs with wired backhaul. On my Omada kit and the Unifi I used in my old job, mesh referred to if they weren't cabled.
It's not quite the same thing. Even wired, they'll know to hand off to the strongest signal, rather than hang on the the current connection right up to the moment it fails the way a network of APs would.

How did the mesh work for you C?

I am in sim situ as OP (good broadband - bad wifi). House square footage is average, but its split over 3 floors and the Virgin box is at the top of the house. The numbers for a speed test are great (when it works...sometimes its so slow the speed-test fails) but I get the 'feeling' that the boxes own wifi is poor. Sometimes cant get decent signal in room beside the box! I cant get the box any closer to the rooms that its needed in, and I only recently discovered Mesh. I think its what I need, so would be interested to see how you got on C.

PS the mesh sets (that I see on amazon) seem to come in sets of 2 or 3. My understanding of setup is that one connects (via cable) to the box and the others are placed around the house to extend / boost range. Is there a difference between the one thats cable connected and the boosters? Or can any of the 3 be cable connected? If I want a 4th to get into poor areas, can I just buy 1 of same make as the 3 and plug n play?

thanks in advance
Certainly with the Deco ones I have they are all the same and can be added to as you can afford to.

Had some success at the weekend. Found an old WiFi router (and remember the password, so that was a good start!). Bought 10m of cable and ran cable from Virgin Hub (at top of house) to a more central area and BINGO! It worked. Good reception in all areas. The weird thing is the numbers are about the same as before when I check speed, but signal strength seems to be better. Had no problem connecting TV to it and watching my recordings (that was very frustrating before on Virgin box ... if there was no signal, I cant watch something that was recorded .... is it recorded to cloud maybe?) ... and I am def getting connection on my phone in the corner of the living room that didnt connect before.

Had some success at the weekend. Found an old WiFi router (and remember the password, so that was a good start!). Bought 10m of cable and ran cable from Virgin Hub (at top of house) to a more central area and BINGO! It worked. Good reception in all areas. The weird thing is the numbers are about the same as before when I check speed, but signal strength seems to be better. Had no problem connecting TV to it and watching my recordings (that was very frustrating before on Virgin box ... if there was no signal, I cant watch something that was recorded .... is it recorded to cloud maybe?) ... and I am def getting connection on my phone in the corner of the living room that didnt connect before.

Is the speed similar to what you'd expect straight from the cable to the Virgin. If so then your winning as you've improved coverage.

I put three APs in my place over 3 floors but suspect I'd have got a pretty good result with just one in the middle.

Is the speed similar to what you'd expect straight from the cable to the Virgin. If so then your winning as you've improved coverage.

I put three APs in my place over 3 floors but suspect I'd have got a pretty good result with just one in the middle.
speed now is 100-200 . Got 200 to 700 before but often wouldnt connect , or would say it was connected (at decent speed) but TV / box would not play recordings or open on-demand channels .....

Is anyone else in the bracket of "I used to know what I was doing , but everytime tech advances I am a bit lost and never catch up :-( ..... "

speed now is 100-200 . Got 200 to 700 before but often wouldnt connect , or would say it was connected (at decent speed) but TV / box would not play recordings or open on-demand channels .....

Is anyone else in the bracket of "I used to know what I was doing , but everytime tech advances I am a bit lost and never catch up :-( ..... "

If you were cheeky you could order a decent access point and see if it gives you the full speed. If it doesn't just send it back. I've got one of these in my office and can get the almost the full 800Mbps that my broadband gives me. They work fine on their own or you can add more at later date, including outside rated ones.

If you were cheeky you could order a decent access point and see if it gives you the full speed. If it doesn't just send it back. I've got one of these in my office and can get the almost the full 800Mbps that my broadband gives me. They work fine on their own or you can add more at later date, including outside rated ones.

thx ... will look into that :cool:

I've also got one of these - Either the 1750 or the 1900 (faster), which works really well, extending my WIFI right through and along the back of the house outside and up the garden.

Once set-up, which was pretty easy, it has worked faultlessly for maybe two years now. I only switch it on when I need the extra range.

Don't think I paid that price for it though, so it is worth shopping around.

Back
Top Bottom