Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help How to extend a WiFi network

Have you checked 2.4 Vs 5 GHz? Does the old router have the same SSID and password?
the lightbulb only works on 2.4GHz and I had to rename the 5GHz service or switch it off - which I did as I don't use it.
I suspect the cheapo camera also only uses 2.4 GHz ...

They have two different SSIDs

Actually you just reminded me I can have a THIRD comedy SSID :D

So, I'm trying to improve the wifi connection in my bedroom/home office for meetings in a new job without reducing speed... it's all in a typical two-story London maisonette, but the router is at the opposite end on the other floor from the bedroom and the walls are thick, so video calls can be clunky.

Does this look like a sensible solution:
I'd try something simpler and cheaper like a Wi-Fi extender first.

So, I'm trying to improve the wifi connection in my bedroom/home office for meetings in a new job without reducing speed... it's all in a typical two-story London maisonette, but the router is at the opposite end on the other floor from the bedroom and the walls are thick, so video calls can be clunky.

Does this look like a sensible solution:

How fast is your internet connection ?

the lightbulb only works on 2.4GHz and I had to rename the 5GHz service or switch it off - which I did as I don't use it.
I suspect the cheapo camera also only uses 2.4 GHz ...

They have two different SSIDs

Actually you just reminded me I can have a THIRD comedy SSID :D

I think I can have 16.

I was tempted to rename an open access one free candy but thought better of it

I just tried Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, but I'm apparently limited to 32 characters - and only one guest network, and I can't have a separate 5GHz one ...

I'd try something simpler and cheaper like a Wi-Fi extender first.

If you get one of these make sure it’s rated at at least 4x your internet connection speed and ideally faster.

Ideally it’d be 5ghz and 2.4ghz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom