Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help How to extend a WiFi network

Sorry if this has been answered but could you introduce a power socket next to the consumer unit that powers the cave, and plug a wifi extender into it for transmitting across the power line? (Or a power line transceiver there and in the cave if that's how they work? I'm not sure).

Powerline internet might work but, in my experience trying to do the same thing, it didn't because the power line to the outside can be very noisy. You can try it but I ended up returning the unit.

Mesh networks are really expensive.

You can get a simple WiFi extender though. We have this one in high speed mode which works really well.

High speed mode means that the link from the house to the extender uses the 5GHz channel exclusively. The extended network uses 2.4GHz exclusively. Devices switch easily and invisibly between them.

I also tuned down the extension signal strength to the lowest as the extender doesn't need to be broadcasting out very strongly.

This setup easily handles video calls and on speedtest I'm getting pretty much full speed internet.

Reactions: izz
Just so you all can have a bit of closure

We decided to plump for a TP-link Powerline WiFi kit, purchased from our local computer shop (yes, these still exist)

Have "explained" to him what I wanted to do and ask IF WiFi over power might be the solution I was looking for we went for this one, granted a bit more expensive than an on-line purchase BUT we had it NOW and safe in the knowledge that if it didn't work (as we were told it might not work in all cases) we could get our money back

The joys of local shopping

And work it did. Truly plug 'n' play. There was one minor hiccup where I was trying to connect to the new WiFi network but . . . patience, patience HV, all will come to he who waits

And then, "ping" azif-bi-magic a functioning network appeared

Leaving behind a highly chuffed Mrs Voltz, who has now come down to snaffle a Sonos speaker

Powerline internet might work but, in my experience trying to do the same thing, it didn't because the power line to the outside can be very noisy. You can try it but I ended up returning the unit.

Mesh networks are really expensive.

You can get a simple WiFi extender though. We have this one in high speed mode which works really well.

High speed mode means that the link from the house to the extender uses the 5GHz channel exclusively. The extended network uses 2.4GHz exclusively. Devices switch easily and invisibly between them.

I also tuned down the extension signal strength to the lowest as the extender doesn't need to be broadcasting out very strongly.

This setup easily handles video calls and on speedtest I'm getting pretty much full speed internet.

I have one of those - gives me excellent speed and coverage throughout the whole house and right along the back of the house outside - for when I get round to fitting my wifi security cameras!

Yeah?

No. that's not happening - but it's a nice thought

There is a bit of a subculture dedicated to home made extenders/distance wifi solutions. If you have an old satellite dish to repurpose, you can apparently get connections from tens or sometimes even as much as a hundred miles away!

Try googling homemade Yagi Antennas or "Pringles Can Extenders" for some ideas - we may even have a past thread on the subject!

There is a bit of a subculture dedicated to home made extenders/distance wifi solutions. If you have an old satellite dish to repurpose, you can apparently get connections from tens or sometimes even as much as a hundred miles away!

Try googling homemade Yagi Antennas or "Pringles Can Extenders" for some ideas - we may even have a past thread on the subject!
Not in the fucking valley we live in you won't - we don't even get G let alone 5G so WiFi signals from a long way away isn't going to happen

In a final note to all of this, it took MUCH swearing and throwing around of a mobile phone but the Sonos system now works as well, saving me the cost of a Bluetooth speaker for the cave - oh glory be!

Thank you everyone for your help, I ❤️ you dearly, m-waaaah :D

In a final note to all of this, it took MUCH swearing and throwing around of a mobile phone but the Sonos system now works as well, saving me the cost of a Bluetooth speaker for the cave - oh glory be!
:D

By you or HV, or both? :hmm:

Reactions: izz
I might tag this on here as possibly relevant ...

When Virgin game me a new modem/router, I stuck the old WIFI router I'd bought years before at the back of the house with the settings and firmware that had worked before and most things get an IP and work fine - but my WIFI camera and smart lightbulb just won't connect which is annoying because they're already on the edge of their range and I want to use them even further away.

With the smartbulb, for the install I also had to turn on mobile data ...

So, I'm trying to improve the wifi connection in my bedroom/home office for meetings in a new job without reducing speed... it's all in a typical two-story London maisonette, but the router is at the opposite end on the other floor from the bedroom and the walls are thick, so video calls can be clunky.

Does this look like a sensible solution:

That will probably work but they still need to talk to each other with wifi, so if the walls are really thick you may have issues - but if you can currently get signal this is likely to make it better.

According to internet you can link them with Ethernet - which would be a good solution if you can run a wire.

Last edited:
So, I'm trying to improve the wifi connection in my bedroom/home office for meetings in a new job without reducing speed... it's all in a typical two-story London maisonette, but the router is at the opposite end on the other floor from the bedroom and the walls are thick, so video calls can be clunky.

Do you own the property? Can you run cable. Without doubt the best solution is a router that doesn't do WiFi and a couple of WiFi access points connected by cable.

I might tag this on here as possibly relevant ...

When Virgin game me a new modem/router, I stuck the old WIFI router I'd bought years before at the back of the house with the settings and firmware that had worked before and most things get an IP and work fine - but my WIFI camera and smart lightbulb just won't connect which is annoying because they're already on the edge of their range and I want to use them even further away.

With the smartbulb, for the install I also had to turn on mobile data ...

Have you checked 2.4 Vs 5 GHz? Does the old router have the same SSID and password?

I used to slag off power line adaptors but these days they are really very good. I'm going to use it to place an ap upstairs at the back of the house to add to the one downstairs to hopefully give me coverage in the bog and garden. Might be worth a try?

Back
Top Bottom