Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vampire Weekend?

They are the band I most wish I'd been in. It's pretty much what I was trying to do way back when and wasn't good enough to manage. Their first album is one of my favourites of recent years.

It looks like it is really good fun being in Vampire Weekend. Any band that sounds like Paul Simon is ok in my books

It looks like it is really good fun being in Vampire Weekend. Any band that sounds like Paul Simon is ok in my books

I don't see how they sound like Paul Simon. To me it's pretty clearly a meshing of South East African style guitar with a sort of New York/Strokes type rhythm.

I don't see how they sound like Paul Simon. To me it's pretty clearly a meshing of South East African style guitar with a sort of New York/Strokes type rhythm.

I find it very Paul Simon. That isn't a bad thing Paul Simon is one of my favourite singers. This songs especially for me sounds similar:

Compare it to this song and to me there is a definite similarity. Paul Simon was big on African sounds wasn't he so it makes sense.

Compare it to this song and to me there is a definite similarity. Paul Simon was big on African sounds wasn't he so it makes sense.

Possibly if you've never actually listened to any African music. As far as I can see the extent of the similarity is the South African guitar style. There's masses more out there in the same style, from the Real Sounds from Harare, to Mhlathini feom Soweto. All wonderful stuff mind you.

I listened to their new album and its not that good. The only really good tune on it is the one in the video, Cousins.

I will give it one more chance and listen to it again though.

Possibly if you've never actually listened to any African music. As far as I can see the extent of the similarity is the South African guitar style. There's masses more out there in the same style, from the Real Sounds from Harare, to Mhlathini feom Soweto. All wonderful stuff mind you.

But if your going to compare them to something the most obvious one for me would be Paul Simon. I might check out the acts you have mentioned though :)

I listened to their new album and its not that good. The only really good tune on it is the one in the video, Cousins.

It might be a grower. I didn't know it was torrentable, will hunt it down tonight.

I can't quite believe your serious. Vampire Weekend and.... Paul Simon? :eek:

Um... I'll have to listen to it now to check but I can't say he was the first comparison I'd draw...

Just listened to it too and it's pretty awful. Not so much Paul Simon more like Chevy Chase fumbling around with African rhythms.

Not a patch on The Acorn or Yeasayer.

I can't quite believe your serious. Vampire Weekend and.... Paul Simon? :eek:

Um... I'll have to listen to it now to check but I can't say he was the first comparison I'd draw...

I think I saw quite a few reviews that mentioned Paul Simon too around the time of release.

Paul Simon was far more interesting and memorable.

This band seems like a very bog standard indie band that has got stuck in the improbability drive and been given all African Instrumentation.

You can call them shite if you like, but saying they sound like every other indie band just suggests you have some kind of hearing deficiency, or don't really listen to indie music, or indeed vampire weekend.

You can call them shite if you like, but saying they sound like every other indie band just suggests you have some kind of hearing deficiency, or don't really listen to indie music, or indeed vampire weekend.

Your right, they really don't do they. I don't think they sound like anyone around at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom