Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Vampire Weekend?

hammerette

Bleurgh!
Just wondered if anyone else has heard the song "Mansard Roof" by Vampire Weekend?

I do believe Coxy is championing this on Radio 1 this week. I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but after a few listens, it's growing.

Possibly a band for the future. Anyone agree?

*bump*

Lots of hype about this lot at the moment so I thought I'd take a peek. Can't stop listening to this:

For a couple of weeks I was forced to share an office with two girls who didn't talk to me at all (I didn't talk to them either granted) and played Radio 1 all day. I know VW were mentioned a lot and were probably responsible for one the 5 or 6 song R1 play on a loop all day long*. Got to say if they were nothing stood out for me.

*Moyles did bizarrely play "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC one morning, thereby postponing his execution in hell by my hands for a good 5 minutes or so.

The album is pretty good, they're showing promising signs of becoming a great band.

Although, I can see Oxford Comma probably getting on my tits the more times I hear it. :(

these guys suportd the shins but i missed them. i like what ive heard so far. is the album worth getting then?

Dl'ed the record now. Some of it's a bit patchy but generally it's very good news. A lot less contrived and a lot more interesting than most *indie* stuff at the moment. Makes a breath of fresh air after five years of relentless Libertines influenced shite and post-punk rubbish.

But on every song when I hear the guitar I keep expecting to hear Paul Simon asking people to call him "al" :hmm:

But on every song when I hear the guitar I keep expecting to hear Paul Simon asking people to call him "al" :hmm:

:D

It's highly addictive, haven't been able to stop listening to it. The songs have a tendency to burrow inside your brain like a hungry tick.

"Blake's got a new face! Blake's gotta a-new face!"

Arrgh! Nooo! Get outta my head! :mad:

I thought I might like them from a description I read, but wasn't that taken by Mansard Roof when I heard it, although I did think it could be a grower.

A mate of mine played me the album ages ago and I thought it was nice, but the more exposure they get the less I like em. Aint it always the way? I think their single got played to fucking death a month or so ago on 6music n'that.

got massively addicted to the album. unlike anything else ive heard around at the moment. calmed down with the listening now but im sure ill go back to it. excellent band imo :)

I'm still digging them.
I like their off beat lyrics too.

Who gives a fuck about an Oxford comma?
I've seen those English dramas too
They're cruel
So if there's any other way
To spell the word
It's fine with me, with me....

Why would you lie about how much coal you have?
Why would you lie about something dumb like that?
Why would you lie about anything at all?
First the window, then it's to the wall
Lil' Jon, he always tells the truth

argh - the earworms just started up again on seing the lyics - there's one really annoying part of the chorus that sounds like they're about to start yodalling.

Why would you lie about how much coal you have?
missheard lyrics? I've been thinking it was 'cool' - aty least that wopuld make sense.

As time passes, I become more 'meh'. There's nothing to dislike, it's quite pleasant, but it doesn't really grab me

56eufjgl78

It's likeable at least (something quite rare in the world of haircut indie) but even so, doesn't set the world on fire. Not that that's a crime or anything.

Back
Top Bottom