Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"utterly moronic racist nonsense" - Strutt & Parker Notting Hill estate agents advertising

I don't know who the average Brixtonite is so I have a disadvantage there :). My first impression of the ad was simply to wonder what the point of it was? It struck me that they were trying to be funny, because an ad simply saying XYZ are estate agents would have just been too dull although more accurate. My first thought was not though that all black people in Brixton are dancers and all white people estate agents.

No Idea why I wrote Brixtonite there but I think the point is still the same. Given it's actually Notting Hill I think a bit more thought went into the characterisation of the Black dancer too. 'Those bubbly Black people just live for carnival don't you know!' It's deliberate.

In terms of your first thoughts; advertising doesn't work on a concious thought level, it works on association and suggestion.

Cruikshank-Uncle-Tom-at-Home.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone without a vested business interest in this ad - client/agency - can recognise it's racist. Immediately.

What surprises me is that it even saw the light of day. Surely the writer/art director/creative group head/CD/planners/suits would have all flagged it up. It really shouldn't have made it off the layout pad. It certainly shouldn't have been presented to the client.

What's the adage, 'a writer's best friend is the waste paper basket'? That's certainly where this 'concept' should have been filed.

Is Notting Hill particularly well know for dancing \ Mark Elie locally renowned?

If so then I can cut them some slack I guess. "Some people were born to [local well known resident & occupation] others to flog houses" isn't terrible in principle.. They do look like a flock of twats though tbf, so I won't give them too much benefit.

Is Notting Hill particularly well know for dancing \ Mark Elie locally renowned?

If so then I can cut them some slack I guess. "Some people were born to [local well known resident & occupation] others to flog houses" isn't terrible in principle.. They do look like a flock of twats though tbf, so I won't give them too much benefit.

notting hill carnival ennit.

"Negotiator!" really? how much actual negotiation is required in letting flats or houses?

4ffee76b18613333a500753f.jpg

"I will find you, and I will take out a fixed term mortgage on you."

'Those bubbly Black people just live for carnival don't you know!'

Comments like this ^ just demonstrate your own racist prejudices, this has nothing to do with what the ad says

so according to the U75 PC-brigade, it is racist to cast a black man in the role of a dancer. Unbelievable....

I wonder how Mark Elie would feel if he saw this lunatic thread, since he is being accused in his absence of complicity with racism against his own race.

so according to the U75 PC-brigade, it is racist to cast a black man in the role of a dancer. Unbelievable....
I can't tell whether you're being disingenuous or simply naive. In a world without racism that advert would be fine, at least in so far as the race of the characters that is. But we don't live in that world, not by a very long way. They could've used two black people or two white people, but they went with one black man & one white man. They're both stereotypes - the black dancer & the white office worker. Perhaps the black dancer is an office worker by day and the white office worker is a dancer by night, who knows. It's not like the advert includes detailed biographies. Adverts are designed to create an immediate & conspicuous point, and whether this particular advert consciously intended to contrast race & occupation, that is inevitably the end result.

I can't tell whether you're being disingenuous or simply naive. In a world without racism that advert would be fine, at least in so far as the race of the characters that is. But we don't live in that world, not by a very long way. They could've used two black people or two white people, but they went with one black man & one white man. They're both stereotypes - the black dancer & the white office worker. Perhaps the black dancer is an office worker by day and the white office worker is a dancer by night, who knows. It's not like the advert includes detailed biographies. Adverts are designed to create an immediate & conspicuous point, and whether this particular advert consciously intended to contrast race & occupation, that is inevitably the end result.
Agreed. Looking at their gallery of white power estate agents they would have been a bit limited from their end, and if they chose this guy because him or his dance studio is locally well known then I'd file this under 'should have given more thought to how it might come across ' rather than racist, but I still might be being naive.

Comments like this ^ just demonstrate your own racist prejudices, this has nothing to do with what the ad says

I wonder how Mark Elie would feel if he saw this lunatic thread, since he is being accused in his absence of complicity with racism against his own race.
are you saying mark elie is being accused of being a race traitor? :eek:

Agreed. Looking at their gallery of white power estate agents they would have been a bit limited from their end, and if they chose this guy because him or his dance studio is locally well known then I'd file this under 'should have given more thought to how it might come across ' rather than racist, but I still might be being naive.

last flat sold was no. 88?

he is being accused by the U75 PC-brigade of complicity with racism, because he is allowing his image to be used in a racist advert (and profiting from it too)

Of course in the real world this wouldnt be an issue, since outside of the fantasy world of the U75 self-righteously adamant pc-brigade, no normal person would think that the advert in question was racist.

But here, on U75, Mark Elie is being accused of complicity with racism

he is being accused by the U75 PC-brigade of complicity with racism, because he is allowing his image to be used in a racist advert (and profiting from it too)

Of course in the real world this wouldnt be an issue, since outside of the fantasy world of the U75 self-righteously adamant pc-brigade, no normal person would think that the advert in question was racist.

Long way from being a RESPECT member to here eh Joe - what happened?

that sounds like a yes to me.

I suggest you read a little history.

joe in 2005

might as well type it out....
To whom it may concern,
I have been a lifelong viewer of the BBC and have paid my own license fees for 18 years,
I have never previously had any cause for complaint about any of your programming. Having seen the party
political broadcast for the BNP earlier today, I never again intend to pay my license fee. I imagine that anybody else who also saw this will do the same, you should be ashamed of yourselves
an anonymous viewer

I really don't know what to say, just to add that the advert is shocking.
Try looking at it and mentally swapping the skin colour of the men, perhaps make them female too... that would have made a more interesting campaign...

Some Notting Hill folk were born to dance
3037211-192931-club-dancer-women-in-sailor-uniform-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

Others to sell flats
businesswoman-looking-thoughtful.jpg

Last edited:

From the British Ballet Organisation website : "Mark Elie is considered by some a local hero, born and bred between Notting Hill and Maida Vale"

Apparently he is the Artistic Director at the charity Portabello Dance

So it is probably fair to say that he is locally renowned.

notting hill carnival ennit.

I'd think that was more the case if they used a picture of the carnival but they didn't.

If he knew about the advert and thought it racist he's complicit or maybe he didn't think it racist himself. Maybe he isn't aware? Is there anyone on here familiar with the man or charity who could put it to him?

I think people are reading far too much into this. Estate agents are twats sure and if you want to bring up racism then focusing on the number of white people working at the estate agent is a reasonable argument but to complain because they show a locally relevant black person dancing really does seem to be looking for offence. Should they have chosen someone else for the dancing picture? If they'd hired a black actor in to play the estate agent would that be less offensive? If there was a black person working there should they have insisted they pose for the advert? Or is the advert just so intrinsicly racist that it's a lost cause?

They probably sold a house for him in the area and offered a % off his fees if he let them use his pic. The advert to me looks to be appealing to people moving into the area who will be sending their kids to ballet schools. I doubt the colour of those pictured would register to the majority of people who saw it.

Last edited:
"If they'd hired a black actor in to play the estate agent would that be less offensive?"

If it was different would it have a different meaning? Is that a serious question?

Of course it's a serious question.

People here are taking offence as they've used a local dance teacher and a local estate agent who happen to black and white respectively. It seems that those people who are offended have decided that this is pandering to stereotypes.

It seems that the 9 people working in that office are white so they couldn't have shown a black estate agent without getting an actor in. Would that have been less offensive? Lets say they did had a 10th employee who was black. Would it have been less offensive to have asked him to be in the advert instead so as to avoid this thread?

Perhaps they could have asked Mark Elie if he had any white people working for him who they could use for the advert instead - letting them avoid offending the people on this thread.

Of course it's a serious question.

People here are taking offence as they've used a local dance teacher and a local estate agent who happen to black and white respectively. It seems that those people who are offended have decided that this is pandering to stereotypes.

It seems that the 9 people working in that office are white so they couldn't have shown a black estate agent without getting an actor in. Would that have been less offensive? Lets say they did had a 10th employee who was black. Would it have been less offensive to have asked him to be in the advert instead so as to avoid this thread?

Perhaps they could have asked Mark Elie if he had any white people working for him who they could use for the advert instead - letting them avoid offending the people on this thread.
they may have some ancilliary staff who are black. "dear cleaner, would you like to be in an advert posing as an estate agent?"

Back
Top Bottom