Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Luton (the place not the van) - thoughts?

I hate Luton airport. Urghhh.

Personally I'd say Bedford would be better just cos of the italian community and all the food places :cool: Or Stevenage cos well... It's not Luton. But you cant argue with Luton being v well placed.

Luton has The Bear Club, voted by Jazz Magazine as one of the best clubs in the world!

Shut last year sadly. Not covid related, the owner is starting a family and doesn't have time to run it. And yes it was great. Same guy runs a film festival every now and then which is also great.

Shut last year sadly. Not covid related, the owner is starting a family and doesn't have time to run it. And yes it was great. Same guy runs a film festival every now and then which is also great.
It's reopened. They got some extra funding, so keeping it going.

Oh wow. Missed that. Cheers.
No worries.

Currently on winter break, but the new season kicks off on Friday 04/02, with Thumping Tommys, a bluegrass band.

Me and the Mrs always been members (guaranteed tickets, hefty discounts, at least two free gigs a month etc.), but they've done away with monthly payment, and I don't want to stump up £179 in one go, so will probably pay as I go, now.

can be bought here:

Clod Magazine is an independent magazine, first established in 1987. We are not a fanzine; there's no bands, no sycophants, no profiles. Nothing you'd hope for or expect from a fanzine.​

Clod Magazine is, rather, a satirical publication from Luton influenced by the legacy of punk rock publications and the early days of Dada magazines. The handmade zine straddles fact and fiction and is a mess of observation, bitterness, poor satire, in-jokes, crassness and shoddiness.​

We're fast heading for 40 editions.

The Magazine operators have also branched into sounds, craft fairs and books, but the whole is run like a badly organised canteen, producing works on such hopelessly obscure subjects as freezer log books, haikus about Luton, and the contents of an old "Handy" Bag Shop which enthralled Lutonians for aeons. All of this has been carried out with and communicated on such uncompromising media as decorative stags, cassette tapes, compact discs, soundclouds (see below), paper magazines, books, fridge magnets and any other tat we can lay our hands on.

We are related to top Lutonian fun rock (e.g. Thrilled Skinny and The Knockouts bands), which have run concurrently and caused as much disinterest in the field of rock and pop as Clod Magazine has in, well, whatever world it is Clod Magazine operates in). Still, whereas The Knockouts continue to garner critical word of mouth reviews - some of which are unrepeatably critical - Clod was once

No worries.

Currently on winter break, but the new season kicks off on Friday 04/02, with Thumping Tommys, a bluegrass band.

Me and the Mrs always been members (guaranteed tickets, hefty discounts, at least two free gigs a month etc.), but they've done away with monthly payment, and I don't want to stump up £179 in one go, so will probably pay as I go, now.

We used to be members too. OK, everyone. Luton is worth moving to now.

Back
Top Bottom