Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"utterly moronic racist nonsense" - Strutt & Parker Notting Hill estate agents advertising

And says a lot that as soon a couple of people come on here saying that they is no racism they get abuse. Pathetic.

Possibly because racism is insoluble. The only place it doesn't exist is within a monocultural environment. That's straightforward "human behaviour 101" - where there's difference there will be a social hierarchy based on visible difference.

By who? Nothing explaining it in the OP.
from comment on that link

FYI, I’m quoting a black historian in the title. And I see his point.

At best it’s crass and clumsy stereotyping, at worst it’s racist, although I’d agree it’s not intentional – just stupid and insensitive.

I don't need to insult your intelligence; you're doing a fine job of that all by yourself.

People who like to play the prejudice every 5 minutes for no particular reason really are pathetic, and more than that they devalue people who suffer from actual prejudice.

play it like a card?

you've managed to 'you are the real racist' it as well. Top marks bugle.

Oh and it's good that's it's been made clear that completely changing the whole setup is a really telling reductio ad absurdum (look it up racists). If they had a white man dancing with a bone through his nose and waving a spear would you say that was racist? No well neither is it if they have a black man doing it then! QED!!!! :rolleyes:

Oh and it's good that's it's been made clear that completely changing the whole setup is a really telling reductio ad absurdum (look it up racists). If they had a white man dancing with a bone through his nose and waving a spear would you say that was racist? No well neither is it if they have a black man doing it then! QED!!!! :rolleyes:

I would love to deconstruct that ad further...I doubt it would be helpful though...it would prove me a complete racist obviously. :facepalm:

Actually Rutita1 I would welcome a more detailed deconstruction and discussion of the ad, it isn't clear to me what their specific objectives were, personally I doubt they intended to be racist so in that way they will have failed (and I don't hold that any publicity is good) and finally Estate Agents are universally disliked on a par with politicians so perhaps an ad featuring one is also doomed. etc

Look at the ad again, do you see the average Brixtonite on either side of the page?

Every Black person a dancer, male, Mr motivater style/flamboyant, athletic, not too serious ...every White person, male, a suit wearing capitalist/fresh faced business type?

The echoes are seriously deep.

I have framed these points as questions not to condescend but to reflect some of the first things that occur to me.

I don't know who the average Brixtonite is so I have a disadvantage there :). My first impression of the ad was simply to wonder what the point of it was? It struck me that they were trying to be funny, because an ad simply saying XYZ are estate agents would have just been too dull although more accurate. My first thought was not though that all black people in Brixton are dancers and all white people estate agents.

I don't know who the average Brixtonite is so I have a disadvantage there :). My first impression of the ad was simply to wonder what the point of it was? It struck me that they were trying to be funny, because an ad simply saying XYZ are estate agents would have just been too dull although more accurate. My first thought was not though that all black people in Brixton are dancers and all white people estate agents.
Notting Hill is not Brixton. Although it doesn't matter where the estate agents are. The ad is racist because it uses a lazy stereotype of black people.

you can just post the link to the time of the tweet and the whole thing shows up here

Back
Top Bottom