Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban Recipe Repository

I posted the ingredients and measurements

It's as if you have failed to understand that this thread is SUPPOSED to read like an old-style cookery book. Not a load of embedded videos with tacked on lists of ingredients when challenged. That is the point of this thread. If you aren't going to make it look like it's printed in a recipe book circa 1960, then don't bother. There are other places on the internet, or even Urban, where embedded video is fine. This is SUPPOSED to be Mrs Beeton, Julia Childs, not a video food blog.

People are even doing their best to use the same formatting for their typed out recipes that fits with the rest of the thread. You and your videos are pissing all over it quite frankly.

Basically you guys are incapable of using modern technology and do things the OUTDATED way, I get it.

Basically you guys are incapable of using modern technology and do things the OUTDATED way, I get it.

Or you have failed to understand the nature of the thread, and didn't just gracefully bow out when told you were doing it wrong.

That escalated quickly

EDIT: BTW I think everything posted since this thread went off piste should be deleted to preserve the integrity of the thread and its original intention.

EDIT: Nice editing there btw Humirax, I saw what you posted and reported it. Well out of order.

Last edited:
That escalated quickly

EDIT: BTW I think everything posted since this thread went off piste should be deleted to preserve the integrity of the thread and its original intention.

EDIT: Nice editing there btw Humirax, I saw what you posted and reported it. Well out of order.
No, eating sentient beings for the pleasure of your taste buds is well out of order.

Yet you edited what you said originally because you weren't going to stand by it. You're a whiner who doesn't have the courage of their convictions to post something and let it stand.

EDIT: And if you prefer not to eat animals, there are PLENTY of vegetarians and vegans here who might have been supportive, but you seem to have gone in off the deep end tbh.

If people ask that you not just post videos on a thread could you please just not just post videos on the thread and avoid all this aggro?

My own reciepe, I enjoy it and it's extra good for summer barbies as it's quite cheap, cooling, tasty and just back a big bowl of it overnight keep in fridge for next day.

It's pasta salad. I'm sure there're heapsa proper reciepies for it but I haven't used them and here goes.

Ingredients:

I haven't put exact amount in as I tend to do usually 500g/1 kg dried pasta at a time and the rest is quite obvious depending on the final pasta cooked volume.

Pasta (for types see below)

Salad cream

Tin pinapple chunks (or make your own)

Tinned or frozen sweetcorn

Couple apples cored

Lots of hunky ham (I find tinned the best as I can cube it quite well)

Couple hard boiled eggs cubed (it'll break up but no worries)

Sweet peppers sliced and diced, for colour as well as taste

Method:

Boil the pasta finishing al dente. I find conchiglie or castellane the best as it holds some of the sauses in its inside, but fusilli and ricollioli gives a nice sensation with their shapes, whilst penne will be just functional but still nice.

In a big bowl . . .

Put the drained pasta in, mix as much salad cream as you like, mix by hand till all are coated.

Add all the above ingredients in and mix again by hand so troughly distributed and add different ingredients form above to make it look pretty as well.

And that's it. All mixed, stick bowl in fridge overnight.

Just take it out when the barbie is on, couple big woooden serving spoons and peopel wil just tuck in.

I do a huge bowl in the summer and just have it for dinner over a few nights actually :)

Hope you like it!

Edited for to fix spelling erros

Love this, but can never remember the ingredients list at work so will leave it here.

Mange-Tout 'ali Baba' Recipe

2 tbsp sesame oil
1 cm. root ginger, grated
2 spring onions - finely sliced
225 g mange-tout - topped and tailed
100 g baby french beans
50 g fennel, chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp white-wine vinegar
2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted

Heat the sesame oil gently with the ginger and spring onion, then
stir-fry the mange-tout, French beans and fennel for 5-8 minutes
until cooked through but still crisp. Add the soy sauce and
white-wine vinegar and stir for a further 2 minutes. Put into a warm
serving-dish, sprinkle with the browned sesame seeds and serve
immediately.

Does the oil type matter? Can use ordinary (cheap) cooking oil?

On the subject of cooking oils, are olive oils better than sunflower oil, but which gets hotter?

Does the oil type matter? Can use ordinary (cheap) cooking oil?

On the subject of cooking oils, are olive oils better than sunflower oil, but which gets hotter?
The sesame oil addes a really good nutty sesame taste to it, which marries very well with the soy sauce and wine vinegar. I'm not usually bothered about such things but with this it makes all the difference.

Olive oil burns at a lower temperature than sunflower oil, so it's OK for light frying but not very hot deep frying etc.

This is a great and entertaining book on food science which explains what works and why, and more importantly what makes your cooking fail and why.

dontsweattheaubergine.jpg

Not sure if anyone can help with this but has any one got any advice for making icing out of icing sugar. I have a project were students are going decorate cookies and need tips on making good icing.

FRIED CARROTS IN CURD (Korma gājar)

This is an excellent recipe for swedes, parsnips, potatoes or turnips either substituting for or adding to the carrots.

4 tablespoons ghee

1½ lb (675 g) carrots, chopped

1 inch (2.5 cm) piece ginger

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 teaspoons sesame seeds

2 teaspoons poppy seeds

1 teaspoon turmeric powder

1 teaspoon cumin powder

2 teaspoons coriander powder

½ teaspoon paprika or chilli powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup yogurt

chopped coriander leaves

Heat ghee and fry the carrots for a few minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, sesame seeds and poppy seeds and fry until golden. Stir in the spices, salt and carrots and fry for two minutes. Add the yogurt and cook till the carrots are tender. Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves

AUBERGINE CURRY (BAINGAN KI KARI)

1½ Ibs (675 g) aubergines

2 tablespoons ghee

1 teaspoon paprika or chilli powder

1 teaspoon cumin powder

1 teaspoon coriander powder

6 black peppercorns

1 inch (2-5 cm) piece ginger, finely chopped

1 teaspoon salt

4 cloves

juice of ½ lemon

3 tomatoes, chopped

2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves

Cut aubergines into cubes and soak in cold water. Heat ghee and fry the spices for two minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt and aubergines. Stir for five minutes, add the lemon juice, cover and cook slowly. Add a little water to prevent sticking. Serve hot with rice.

CAULIFLOWER CURRY (PHULGOBI U KARI)

1 cauliflower (1½ - 2 lbs/675-900 g)

juice of ½ lemon

1 inch (2-5 cm) piece ginger

1 teaspoon salt

4 cloves garlic

½ teaspoon paprika or chilli powder

2 tablespoons ghee

1 teaspoon garam masala

Wash the cauliflower and cut into sprigs. Grind the garlic, ginger, salt, paprika and turmeric, adding the lemon juice to make a paste. Heat ghee and fry the paste for a few minutes. Add the cauliflower, cover and cook on a low heat. When nearly done sprinkle with garam masala.
These look fab haven’t heard of the carrot one before but want to try it

Soup question: I frequently make soup but am confused. Do you first satuee your onions garlic etc in wee bit of oil/butter then throw all your chopped veg in that then in other pot do your stock,throw all your herbs spices in then take sautéed veg and dump Into pot? It ends up working for me but is it better and easier to have broth ready then throw all garlic onion veg in pot? Making parsnip, carrot and potato again—thinking too much. Sauté or just veg anll in water?

Soup question: I frequently make soup but am confused. Do you first satuee your onions garlic etc in wee bit of oil/butter then throw all your chopped veg in that then in other pot do your stock,throw all your herbs spices in then take sautéed veg and dump Into pot? It ends up working for me but is it better and easier to have broth ready then throw all garlic onion veg in pot? Making parsnip, carrot and potato again—thinking too much. Sauté or just veg anll in water?
Most recipes get you to saute the onions first, then add veg and then stock.

When I am dieting, I have been known to just boil everything up together without oil and this works just fine too.

Most recipes get you to saute the onions first, then add veg and then stock.

When I am dieting, I have been known to just boil everything up together without oil and this works just fine too.
Yes this makes sense and no need for any oil butter etc for sautéing. Thankyou

Steak and ale pie. I put this recipe together having watched various YouTube vids, mostly basing it on a Phil Vickery recipe. It came out so well that it’s worth sharing.

Qty for 2 x 7” pies or 3 x small 5” pies
750g chuck steak
1 medium onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped finely
1 heaped tbsp plain flour to toss meat in before frying
10g/ Half rounded tbsp tomato purée
1 rounded tsp sugar
0.5 tbsp Worcester sauce
2 oxo cubes
330ml Newcastle brown ale
350ml water
0.125 lvl tsp ground black pepper
1 level tsp salt

20g Butter softened at room temp mixed with 2 lvl tbsp flour to thicken at end.

Stage 1 - filling (make the day before)
First chop onion and carrots. Trim excess fatty bits from meat, but consider including them and fishing out/discarding at the end, for the flavour they add.

Cut meat into chunks, toss in flour and fry till brown in heavy bottomed pot.
Fry onions until golden brown in a separate frying pan, then add tomato purée and fry briefly then combine with meat in big pot.
Add ale, water, carrots, sugar, Worcester sauce, oxo.
Cover, bring to boil on hob and maintain low simmer for two and a half hours. Yes, it’s a long time, but yes, it needs it.
Fish out and discard any fatty bits you included earlier.

Thicken with chunks of the flour/butter mix made with 2 lvl tbsp flour mixed with 20g butter (do not use cornflour), add gradually to gauge how it thickens. then allow to cool completely (fridge overnight). Freeze half for another day, and use half for below pie.

Stage 2 - pie

Make pastry in food processor with 100g flour, 50g butter, tiny salt, 3.0-3.5 tbsp water (blitz the flour and butter together, then add the water until breadcrumbs form, then press together with hands)

Roll out just over half of pastry into 7” metal pie dish. Using half the filling quantity made earlier, fill with cold meat mix until well proud. Cover with pastry lid, crimp edges and brush with egg mix. Make hole in centre.

Cook in preheated fan oven, 180C 35mins for large 7” pie.

Last edited:
I made this for dinner yesterday with what was left in the fridge:

Chorizo, Chickpea and Lemon Stew

A Hearty dish with the lemon and paprika tempered a little by the cream and yoghurt. I’ll definitely make it again :)

Ingredients

1 tin of chickpeas (drained)
1/3 of a Chorizo ring (cut into small pieces)
1/3 of a lemon (pips removed and finely chopped)
1 large onion (chopped)
Pinch of sugar
4 Cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tin of tomatoes
1/2 chicken stock cube (dissolved in 1/2 pint water)
Glass of red wine
Good squirt of lemon juice
2 tbsp cream
1 tbsp yoghurt

Method

1) Heat two tbsp of olive oil in a thick bottomed pan.
2) Add onions, lemon, garlic lemon juice, sugar and chorizo and cook on medium for about 5 mins
3) Add paprika, chickpeas, stock, wine, tomatoes and herbs and simmer gently for about 30 mins until reduced - stirring regularly.
4) Add the cream and yoghurt about 2 minutes before serving.

Great on its own but works well with bread to mop up the juices.

From an advertising campaign for fish from the mid-1950s, I give you...

Dinners for Beginners.jpg

In other words, 'To avoid domestic violence, cook fish.' :eek: Meanwhile, from the same ad campaign, their 'casserole of fish' illustrates everything that was wrong with British food in the 50s:

casserole of fish.jpg

Not a bad idea in principle, but bland to the last degree...

Back
Top Bottom