Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban Recipe Repository

No, they are from my family's files. We do cook all of those things, honest.
I believe you. I have a different fave basic tomato sauce using fresh and tinned, with a bit of chilli and garlic and other flavourings,simmered for an hour. I do huge pots of it and freeze in portions. It's from the Polpo cookbook. The reason I mention it is I have the Claudia Roden book too, and recognise some of your other recipes, and it reminded me how old fave recipes can seem a bit dated. I blame Ottolenghi and his millions of ingredients. My point partly being that older, simpler recipes represent what was available in the shops at the time they were published.

We have a lot of Claudia Roden books.
My mum cooked a lot of Middle Eastern food.
Roden is like Ottolenghi without the fuss.

I believe you. I have a different fave basic tomato sauce using fresh and tinned, with a bit of chilli and garlic and other flavourings,simmered for an hour. I do huge pots of it and freeze in portions. It's from the Polpo cookbook. The reason I mention it is I have the Claudia Roden book too, and recognise some of your other recipes, and it reminded me how old fave recipes can seem a bit dated. I blame Ottolenghi and his millions of ingredients. My point partly being that older, simpler recipes represent what was available in the shops at the time they were published.
Can you post your tom sauce in full? I need one and my normal one just seems crap atm (a case of having it too much I suspect)

This is the best lamb I've ever cooked.

Moroccan slow-roasted shoulder of lamb

From Small Adventures in Cooking by James Ramsden (Quadrille, £14.99).
Serves 6
shoulder of lamb 1 x 1.5-2kg, on the bone
natural yogurt 350g
lemon juice of 1
ras el hanout 2 tbsp
smoked paprika ½ tsp
salt and pepper
red onions 2, peeled and sliced
garlic 1 whole bulb
red wine ½ a bottle
olive oil
couscous 300g
pomegranate 1, deseeded
coriander a big bunch, chopped

Chunks of meat are all well and good, but few things beat a whole joint, slowly roasted on the bone until the meat slides away at the slightest prod. Lamb shoulder is arguably the king of such joints. It's tough as old boots, but so perfectly fatty that when sympathetically cooked the fat melts through the meat, tenderising and oozing flavour throughout the flesh.
Using a sharp knife, slash the lamb a few times – no deeper than an inch – on the fatty side. Mix 250g of the yogurt, lemon juice, ras el hanout and smoked paprika in a bowl and season with pepper. Spread the onion out on a roasting tin, throw in unpeeled garlic cloves and place the lamb on top. Rub the lamb with the marinade, pour over the wine, cover and leave – 24 hours would be ideal, an hour will do.
When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 3. Season the lamb with salt and drizzle with oil. Cover tightly with foil and roast for 3 hours. Remove the foil and roast for a further half-hour. The shoulder blade should be peeking out from under the end of the meat.
Remove from the oven and leave to rest, loosely covered with foil, for half an hour. Meanwhile, cook the couscous according to the packet instructions. Pull the meat apart with tongs, garnish with the pomegranate seeds and coriander, and serve with a spoonful of the cooking juices, the couscous and the remaining yogurt.

Favourite slow cooker recipe.

Lamb Rogan Josh

Serves 4

1kg / 2lb 4oz lean boneless lamb, cut into 2.5cm / 1 inch chunks
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 black cardamom pods
4 green cardamom pods
4 cloves
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 onions, chopped
2 tablespoons ginger and garlic paste (roughly ⅔ garlic and ⅓ peeled ginger blended to a paste with a little oil and water)
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon turmeric
4 tomatoes, puréed
100g / 3½ oz thick natural yoghurt
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon garam masala
few sprigs coriander, chopped

Rinse the lamb under cold running water, then drain and pat dry with kitchen paper.

Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add the whole spices and leave over a gentle heat for a few minutes to allow their flavours to infuse the oil.
Add the onions to the pan and cook until golden brown, then add the lamb and cook over a high heat until well seared all over. Add the ginger and garlic paste and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in 500–600 ml / 17–20 fl oz water and simmer gently for about 30 minutes (or put all ingredients in slow cooker and leave for several hours), adding more water if necessary. Stir in the ground spices and cook for a further 15 minutes.

Add the puréed tomatoes and yoghurt and cook for a further 15 minutes, or until the lamb is cooked through and tender. Season to taste and then sprinkle with the garam masala and scatter over the chopped coriander before serving.

• This recipe is taken from Food of the Grand Trunk Road - Recipes of rural India, from Bengal to the Punjab, by Anirudh Arora and Hardeep Singh Kohli

Can you post your tom sauce in full? I need one and my normal one just seems crap atm (a case of having it too much I suspect)
I do this when there are cheap fresh tomatoes in the shops, or I need to use up some meh ones from the vegbox. It's a great pasta sauce with random roast veg and I use it on pizza bases too. I tend to freeze 400ml-ish bags (measured using the not-quite-full- empty tins). I reckon you get about 4.5 portions (handy cos you don't need so much for pizza).

Ingredients/method notes: I use 2 normal (brown) onions, however much oil seems right (not necessarily 100ml), 3 cloves garlic and a teaspoon of chilli flakes. At the moment I'm using mixed Provecal herbs cos that's what I've got, one or two tablespoons. As they're dried they go in at the simmering stage (I think the recipe assumes fresh oregano). I don't use the sugar. Do it in your biggest pan - I use a stick blender to save faffing and washing up - it works best blended while hot. Scales down well if you don't have so many tins of toms.
Polpo cookbook said:
The sauce (makes 1.5 litres)
ingredients
100ml extra virgin olive oil
1 white onion, finely sliced
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/2 tbsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Small pinch chilli flakes
750g fresh tomatoes
3 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1 small handful of oregano, finely chopped
Pinch of caster sugar if necessary

Method
Heat half the oil in a large saucepan and sweat the onion, garlic, salt, pepper and chilli on a medium heat for about 15 minutes. When transparent, add the fresh tomatoes and the rest of the oil and cook on a low-medium heat for 15 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes and bring to a gentle simmer. Leave to bubble on the lowest heat for about 1 hour. Turn off the heat and add the heat and add the oregano and basil. Taste and see if it needs any sugar. When you’re pleased with the taste, blend together with a hand blender or in a food blender.

Chorizo hash
waxy potatoes cubed - new potatoes work well
1 onion - finely diced
chorizo sliced
garlic crushed
salt, pepper, hot paprika
fresh parsley

• simmer the potatoes for 5 mins then drain and cover with a tea towel
• sauté the onion chorizo and garlic in a little olive oil - add salt, pepper and paprika
• once onions are translucent put aside
• add a little more olive oil + sauté potatoes until starting to brown
• add the chorizo and onions back into the pan
• bit more paprika, few splashes of chipotle tabasco and cook until brown and crispy
• stir in parsley
• serve with a fried/poached egg on top, or on its own

(delia's recipe has red pepper in too)

Ms T's sourdough bread recipe needs to be on this thread for ease of reference:

1. Take starter out of fridge and allow to return to room temperature. It will start to bubble when it is ready.
2. Measure 500g of bread flour into a mixing bowl (my go-to brand is Dove's Farm, but sometimes I use Lidl's own brand and sometimes I mix in a little rye flour or smoked wholegrain flour)
3. Add 1.5 tsp of salt and mix
4. Add 60g of starter and 375g of water (sometimes a little less depending on humidity) and mix well.
5. Cover with clingfilm or place in a plastic bag and secure with a clip
6. Leave to prove overnight for about 18 hours
7. Remove from bowl onto floured service and stretch and fold over a few times (I fold both edges into the middle, and then in half again, if that makes sense)
8. Place in well floured basket, cover with tea towel and leave to rise for 2-3 hours.
9. Place a Le Creuset cast iron pot with lid in the oven turned up to its highest temperature and allow to heat up for 30 minutes
10. Place dough in pot and put the lid on, return to oven and switch temperature down slightly to about 220C
11. After about half an hour, remove the lid and switch the temperature down again. Let cook for another 20 minutes or so.

This method will give you a fantastic crust, and it's a pretty easy technique once you get the timings right. You will also get a nice open texture and a glossy, chewy crumb.

Thimble Queen needs to get over here with her kachumber recipe :thumbs:

Sorry it's taken me a while! I'd forgotten until I saw the thread get bumped :)

Indian salad aka Kachumber :cool:
Cucumber, tomato and onion (I use red onions and spring onion) with sea salt, chilli powder or flakes and malt vinegar.
If you chop it up, dress it and leave it in the fridge for half an hour before eating it, the flavours get super intense esp the onion.
Add some extra sea salt when serving :)

Chorizo hash
waxy potatoes cubed - new potatoes work well
1 onion - finely diced
chorizo sliced
garlic crushed
salt, pepper, hot paprika
fresh parsley

• simmer the potatoes for 5 mins then drain and cover with a tea towel
• sauté the onion chorizo and garlic in a little olive oil - add salt, pepper and paprika
• once onions are translucent put aside
• add a little more olive oil + sauté potatoes until starting to brown
• add the chorizo and onions back into the pan
• bit more paprika, few splashes of chipotle tabasco and cook until brown and crispy
• stir in parsley
• serve with a fried/poached egg on top, or on its own

(delia's recipe has red pepper in too)

Mine is very similar :cool: I use coriander instead of parsley and habanero in place of tabasco. If I have black beans they go in too :)

A favourite Basque Country stew. I think it's more commonly made with tuna, but I've not tried that. This is a simple veggie version from Leith's Vegetarian Bible.

Marmitako

2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 green peppers
245g potatoes - scrubbed and cubed
250 ml vegetable stock
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp saffron
1 tin chick peas

Heat the oil and fry the onions until soft.
Add the garlic and spices, stir for a minute, then add the peppers and cook until they soften.
Add the potatoes and any other root veg you're using, stir for a minute to coat with the spices.
Add the stock, tomatoes, saffron and chick peas, then season well with plenty of salt and pepper.
Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Edit the first post?
I suppose it's possible, with a link to each recipe/post, but it would need quite high maintenance updating every time a new recipe was posted. There must be a better way without going down the the old Wiki route which we gave up on before.

where can you get a starter? an artisan bakery?

They're extremely easy to make yourself... Just 50:50 flour and water in a (non-sealed!) jar. I used to use a rye/plain blend I think, 200g (each*) for a 750ml jar. Leave for a few days, giving it the odd stir. Once it gets going (bubbling and puffed up) chuck out half and add a fresh 100g of flour and water. I mean ideally bake with it, but if not - chuck, you need to keep refreshing it. Do this whenever your starter builds back up; probably daily. This seems like a waste unless you bake daily but, once you've done it a couple of times to get everything well established, you can move it to the fridge where everything will slow down.

There can be weird shit that's normal; beery liquid floating on top (you can pour it off), acetone smell (probably not refreshing it enough, or keeping too much of the old starter). If it doesn't bubble after a few days, chuck it. Most things have been experienced by someone, so the modern solution of google the problem applies.

e2a: *I mean each of flour and water, so for a rye/plain 100g of rye, 100g of plain, 200g of water. You can vary the ratio of flour types as much as you want, though I imagine some don't work as well as others. Flour to water ratio should be 50:50.

This is a good one from the Hairy Bikers - Nasi Goreng. It even got a 10/10 thumbs up from my very picky chef partner the other evening....

Ingredients

For the spice paste

For the stir-fry

• 2 tbsp vegetable or groundnut oil, plus extra for frying the eggs
  • 2 chicken breasts, skin removed, cut into thin strips
  • 200g/7oz prawns, heads and shells removed and de-veined
  • 110g/4oz fine green beans, trimmed and sliced into 1cm/½in pieces
  • 4 spring onions, sliced
  • 275g/10oz cooked long-grain rice (this must be cold)
  • splash light soy sauce
  • splash ketjap manis (Indonesian soy sauce)
  • 4 free-range eggs

For the garnish

Method

1. For the spice paste, blend all of the spice paste ingredients together in a food processor. Add enough oil to bring the mixture together as a loose paste. Set aside.

2. For the stir-fry, heat the oil in a wok over a high heat until shimmering hot, then add the chicken and fry for a minute or so, then add the spice paste and prawns and stir well, cooking for a good 4-5 minutes.

3. Add the beans and spring onions and fry for another minute, keeping everything moving.

4. Add the cooked rice and stir until it's all been incorporated - you can add a few tablespoons of water at this point if it becomes a little dry and starts to stick. Season with soy sauce and ketjap manis, to taste.

5. Heat a little of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry the eggs until crisp at the edges and cooked to your liking.

6. To serve, divide the stir-fry between two bowls, place two eggs on top and sprinkle over the garnish ingredients. Serve with the chilli oil on the side, for drizzling.

Soup with beanz

fry some onion and garlic until soft in olive oil.
add 2 fresh bay leaves
add lardons/smoked bacon (or chorizo) both if greedy, none if veggie.

fry more so fat comes out but don't brown onions etc.

Add 1 glass white wine

bring to boil and add herbs, mixed or oregano/thyme is good until alcohol is gone.

Add 1 table spoon tomatoe paste

Add water to top up with.

Add cubes of potato (not floury but firm variety)

Add a drained tin of white beanz - cannelloni or haricot is best I find

simmer for 10-20 minutes

option- add some kale or another winter green for the last 10 mins cooking.

tastes adjust seasoning etc.

serve with rest of white wine and bread:)

Home made NUTELLA! (Palm oil free)
(Can halve the ingredients)

200g bar of Milk chocolate
1 tbsp. Cocoa
1 tbsp. Oil
½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
9 tbsp. Peanut Butter* or 2½ oz. Roasted chopped Hazelnuts, blitzed to a paste
(For a fuller flavoured version, roast blanched hazelnuts and blitz)
-------------
In a bain marie, melt the chocolate over a low heat, stirring occasionally. Add the cocoa and stir in well.

In another bowl place the nuts (either the pulverised hazelnuts or peanut butter).
*I use crunchy peanut butter - becomes like a ferrero rocher! Best eaten next day - less gritty.
To the nut paste, add the oil, vanilla extract and the cooled chocolate. If using hazelnuts, add a pinch of salt. Stir well to incorporate all ingredients.
(Recipe says to do this in a blender but I found this unnecessary!) It will thicken as it goes cold...if you can
hold out that long (can take several hours).

Keeps for 2 weeks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom