Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Unpopular opinions on climate change

There’d undoubtedly be great benefits to the majority of the world’s population:

Bollocks. There are 20 quintillion animals on earth that could potentially be affected by climate change. Human-extincting climate change would not provide a "great benefit" to those 20000000000000000000. The fact you're focusing on the 0.000000000425% of them being killed by humans says a lot more about your hatred of humans than your love of animals.

Bollocks. There are 20 quintillion animals on earth that could potentially be affected by climate change. Human-extincting climate change would not provide a "great benefit" to those 20000000000000000000. The fact you're focusing on the 0.000000000425% of them being killed by humans says a lot more about your hatred of humans than your love of animals.

I didn’t say anything about climate change. The sparing of over 80 billion land-based sentient beings (and trillions more aquatic animals) from getting tortured and killed by our appalling species every year would be very good though. See further

I think we need a Logan's Run type situation to get rid of the boomers. Yes it would be nice to let them live out their days in peace but they're paying for it with everyone else's futures by hoarding resources, contributing nothing and endlessly voting for any reactionary arsehole who promises to ignore all this woke bullshit about the plenty remaining habitable.

They don't seem to enjoy being alive anyway, we'd be doing them a favour really.
It's class more than age that's the issue.

I'm gonna have to agree it's the boomers. Some weird way of thinking among that generation generally. The only good to come out of it is all the generations following seem to be a reaction to it.

I'm relatively happy with the concept of human extinction.

Moar later. :thumbs:

ETA: correct misspelling of 'moar'.

you'll probably get to experience it happening, judging by the fucking insane amounts of methane in the atmosphere and the bonkers rate its increasing by now. :thumbs:

In any area in the UK or elsewhere for that matter where tap water is drinkable, bottled water should be phased out. Perhaps allow the sale of 500 ml bottles and let supermarkets stock a small amount of 5L bottles. But there is absolutely no excuse for people in places like London to drink bottled water as a regular substitute to home tap water supply. Whether it is ingrained reluctance from people from countries where tap water has never been safe, or fashionistas who see themselves as water connoisseurs even though undeniably most of them would pick tap water over posh bottled alternatives in a blind test.

In any area in the UK or elsewhere for that matter where tap water is drinkable, bottled water should be phased out. Perhaps allow the sale of 500 ml bottles and let supermarkets stock a small amount of 5L bottles. But there is absolutely no excuse for people in places like London to drink bottled water as a regular substitute to home tap water supply. Whether it is ingrained reluctance from people from countries where tap water has never been safe, or fashionistas who see themselves as water connoisseurs even though undeniably most of them would pick tap water over posh bottled alternatives in a blind test.
What about that wanky water that comes in beer can-style packaging?

What about that wanky water that comes in beer can-style packaging?
Don’t know which one is that, but posh water that some drink as a treat is no different from those drinking beer, or wine so long as it’s an occasional treat.

Those wealthy enough to drink San Pellegrino all the time as they would tap water are as bad as anyone buying 8L bottles. Worse in fact. They could impress their friends by filtering their tap water through the latest Britta offering so they can all crack one off over how good it tastes with a much lower carbon footprint than buying several dozen bottles a month.

I work in a smaller supermarket (northampton) we sell absolutely shit loads of bottled water....pallets and pallets of the stuff...the vast majority from our large immigrant communities....maybe we need to have some sort of information campaign to get over to people that the tap water is safe.

maybe we need to have some sort of information campaign to get over to people that the tap water is safe

Preceded by actually making it safe for all, or at least testing it. I have recently found out that my partner and I had been drinking tap water contaminated with excess amounts of lead (above the UK "allowed" amount - EU "allowed" amount is half of that - there is no safe quantity since you accumulate it in your body indefinitely) for 5.5 years. Turns out the water companies changed most piping years ago but they didn't replace or check the pipes running to the houses or the ones in the houses. Now it's only found out if there are health complaints and the water is tested.

Water tests are free when requested, at least in my area. If you live in a house built pre-1970s, I suggest getting your supply tested. Since this happened I've been talking to people and someone else found excess amounts of lead in their water too.

Preceded by actually making it safe for all, or at least testing it. I have recently found out that my partner and I had been drinking tap water contaminated with excess amounts of lead (above the UK "allowed" amount - EU "allowed" amount is half of that - there is no safe quantity since you accumulate it in your body indefinitely) for 5.5 years. Turns out the water companies changed most piping years ago but they didn't replace or check the pipes running to the houses or the ones in the houses. Now it's only found out if there are health complaints and the water is tested.

Water tests are free when requested, at least in my area. If you live in a house built pre-1970s, I suggest getting your supply tested. Since this happened I've been talking to people and someone else found excess amounts of lead in their water too.

The water pipes inside the boundary of your property are the responsibility of the property owner.

Back
Top Bottom