Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Unions (Trade, Industrial, Community, et al) in Britain

There are a lot of angry young millenials out there, i am sure a number will be thinking how can they organise.

i also expect many will be based around migrant workers, like in the U.S in the 30's.

Not sure what you mean there treelover can you expand?

Trade and industrial unions are unfortunately all too often divorced from both "angry young millenials" and migrant workers.

Long time private sector support worker. Felt completely abandoned by the main stream unions so went to the formation meeting for this lot: Bristol Care Workers Network

Been involved ever since and has taught me a fair amount about organising that we've put into effect. We are tiny, it's not perfect, but it's nice to be supported. Hoping to refocus again after a quiet year.

Biggest thing is learning what my skills and strengths are.

Think Acorn do some decent work in Bristol too, but never managed to get along to their stuff. There's a lot that goes in Bristol and I'm quite keen to try and look at maybe joining in with some of it. Hard with work though isn't it?

I'd love to put more time into it, but you can't do everything.

I have been a bit miffed at some organising myself and others did around drug policy that was basically hijacked by a professional researcher who wanted to use it as a vehicle to create a job for themselves (and attempted to bribe me with the promise of a job); when the whole point was to be member led organisation. Some people just don't understand this concept I don't think, and quite often they are the ones that have more wealth and access to more facilities so then others get pushed aside.

Good Luck !

"united we stand, divided we fall"

My old man was heavily involved, right from the early days of his apprenticeship up until his retirement, in trade unions and the co-operative movement, so I had a bloody good example to follow.

Finding people to share the commitment to the time and effort involved in organizing ...
Most people are happy to take the benefits, but ask them for subs or to help out, even just with setting out chairs or washing up, never mind actually standing up to management and you don't see them for dust.

Long time private sector support worker. Felt completely abandoned by the main stream unions so went to the formation meeting for this lot: Bristol Care Workers Network

Been involved ever since and has taught me a fair amount about organising that we've put into effect. We are tiny, it's not perfect, but it's nice to be supported. Hoping to refocus again after a quiet year.

Biggest thing is learning what my skills and strengths are.

Think Acorn do some decent work in Bristol too, but never managed to get along to their stuff. There's a lot that goes in Bristol and I'm quite keen to try and look at maybe joining in with some of it. Hard with work though isn't it?

I'd love to put more time into it, but you can't do everything.

I have been a bit miffed at some organising myself and others did around drug policy that was basically hijacked by a professional researcher who wanted to use it as a vehicle to create a job for themselves (and attempted to bribe me with the promise of a job); when the whole point was to be member led organisation. Some people just don't understand this concept I don't think, and quite often they are the ones that have more wealth and access to more facilities so then others get pushed aside.

I was meant to pop over toBristol last year but got Depressed instead. I’ll have to pop over this year instead then!

I was meant to pop over toBristol last year but got Depressed instead. I’ll have to pop over this year instead then!

Certainly welcome. We've been a bit dormant since the Mencap campaign as it wiped us out so we focused on internal work stuff, but certainly keen to push back out again. Keep an eye out and I'll usually post anything major in the protest thread. :)

Certainly welcome. We've been a bit dormant since the Mencap campaign as it wiped us out so we focused on internal work stuff, but certainly keen to push back out again. Keep an eye out and I'll usually post anything major in the protest thread. :)

you have meetings?

If - hypothetically - I was in the process of organising (locally at present, hypothetically), what would I need to be doing/reading up on?

Talking to the people you want to organise with. What are there aims? Do they align with yours? Are there existing structures that you can use or do you need to start from the ground up (a big undertaking)?

I know it sounds really obvious but it has to be the starting point.

Not sure where to put this:

Not sure if we’ve got any RMT activists on here who can explain what’s happened here. It sounds fairly brutal. Previous to this I’d assumed Cash was part of the left in RMT but either I’d got that wrong or some sort of split has occurred...

If anyone feels like they're not spending enough time watching zoom calls and similar already, IWGB are having an online rally thing for their "clapped and scrapped" campaign on December 16th. There doesn't really seem to be a description in that event, but the thing I got sent said:
"Throughout the pandemic couriers and private hire drivers have been classed as key workers keeping people and goods moving. However, lurking behind the slick 'gig-economy' marketing is a constant threat of dimissal without a fair appeal.

The IWGB has been fighting for the very basic right of fair appeals and transparent terminations.

JOIN US FOR
- Campaign updates -
- Worker testimonials -
  • International union messages -
  • Guest speakers Ian Byrne MP & Nadia Whittome MP -
  • How you can support the campaign -"

Fundraiser for the funeral of a London cleaner and trade unionist: Help The Family of Victor Porras with the Funeral, organized by Alberto Durango
Victor was a cleaner at the prestigious international law firm Clifford Chance, he worked for the Mitie company, together with other colleagues he organised the workers and joined the union and won a lot of improvements for the workers in his workplace, originally from Ecuador, he fought and worked very hard to bring up his wife and daughters who were recently reunited in the UK after many years of separation due to immigration laws.

Our colleague and friend has passed away today, during his life he was known for giving solidarity without expecting anything in return. The time has come to do the same for him and in his memory we want to collect some money so that his family will no longer have to worry about burial expenses, as well as to help his wife and daughters.

RMT rep sacked on London Underground after going home sick. Fundraiser here:

Two bus drivers, both union reps and SP members (fwiw) have been sacked and have fundraisers going while they fight for reinstatement:

No idea if this is just a coincidence or if bus companies have decided that now is a particularly good time to crack down on Taafeites or what.

ETA: Declan Clune's case really does sound disgraceful, here's the RMT's statement on it: SUSPENSION, D CLUNE – BLUESTAR

You will no doubt know by now that your local representative, Declan Clune, was suspended from duty by this vicious Bluestar management over allegations that he brought the company into disrepute. And the reason for such a charge? That he advised Network Rail of a series of hits by a number of vehicles on a railway bridge on the Winchester Road, which he believed raised concerns for you and your colleagues as well as having very serious safety concerns for the railway infrastructure.

It must be highlighted of course that Declan contacted Network Rail about this matter as Bluestar had not only failed to follow its own procedures over such matters by not reporting them to Network Rail but management was also actually deterring drivers from reporting such incidents to Bluestar itself.

Safety is an obvous key concern in both the bus and railway industries and in highlighting these concerns we can only say that rather than bringing Bluestar into disrepute, Declan was actually paying a public service. It is also a damning indictment of Bluestar that they have suspended him for doing this rather than owing up to their own failures in the matter.

You may be aware that not only is Declan your local representative, but he is also secretary of the RMT’s Southampton Bus and Coach Branch and a long-standing and well-know activist in the Southampton Trades Council and it is for these commendable activities that your union believes have made him a target by Bluestar management. Bluestar managers are literally excited at the prospect of sacking Declan and, in fact, one such individual was heard to shout “game on, game on” at the outset of this process. We must not let them get away with this.

Declan’s suspension has been discussed at the highest levels of your union and your National Executive Committee is calling on you and your colleagues to come forward with any information you have of bridge strikes such as that on the Winchester Road. It is apparent that the culture at Bluestar means that many members will fear of any reprisals from management so please contact your Regional Organiser on 07830470909 in the knowledge that all conversations will be private and confidential.
Bringing his employer into disrepute by... reporting to Network Rail when buses were colliding with railway bridges.

Last edited:
Pleased this was discussed at the TUC. Lucy Burke is superb.

Is there scope for industrial action against eugenic policies/practices?

Pleased this was discussed at the TUC. Lucy Burke is superb.

Is there scope for industrial action against eugenic policies/practices?
I think under relevant UK law it would be very very difficult for it to happen legally.
In order for a group of workers to take strike action, they must,

• hold a ballot of the workforce who will go on strike
  • inform the employer of the timing and duration of the strike
  • not conduct the industrial action for a purpose unrelated to terms and conditions of the workers' employment contract
  • not take industrial action against anyone but the employer of the affected workers
  • remain peaceful when conducting picket lines
So the only way it could happen legally is if the eugenic policies/practices could be shown to relate directly to the employment conditions of the people taking strike action. And I'm sure there's some circumstances where that might be possible, like certain groups of service workers demanding better health and safety conditions for themselves, like improved ventilation or whatever, might also improve health and safety for their customers/service users, but in general it would be very difficult. I mean, the other option would be action outside of the constraints of the law, which would be great, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it to happen on a mass scale.
Bit more background here - historically, the courts have ruled against workers taking strike action against apartheid, so I think the same principles would apply here.

Oh, and further to my post above, as well as donating to the reinstatement funds for the two bus drivers above, messages of solidarity can be sent to:
southamptondbc@rmt.org.uk (for Declan Clunes)
defendmoe@gmail.com (for Moe)

Oh, thinking about it there is another option: as mentioned above, I don't think there'd be much scope for industrial action over discrimination against disabled people unless that issue could be shown to relate directly to the employment conditions of the workforce in question, but if a disability action group or whatever called a day of action over whatever government policies, and also separately to that a group of workers had a trade dispute about their own employment conditions, there's no reason why they couldn't happen to take strike action that "just happened" to coincide with that day. Which would obviously amplify the impact a fair bit, and similarly there's no reason why they couldn't invite disabled people to address any strike rallies, etc.
This one isn't completely far-fetched, since iirc when the youth climate strikes were a big thing and the UCU was also taking strike action, they timed one of their strikes to coincide with the climate walkouts, but obv it would take a fair bit of work and political will, and it's much more likely to happen if you already have a movement the size of the schoolkids' climate walkouts to start off with.

Event happening tomorrow:

When furlough ends, it’s predicted there will be mass redundancies. Many people will find themselves unable to pay rent, will build up rent debt, and will face eviction.

Work to live is a special joint event by London Renters Union (LRU) and United Voices of the World (UVW). We will discuss how our struggles intersect and strategize how we can build power both in our workplaces and in our neighbourhoods. There will be space for members from both organisations to share issues that are impacting you, there will be discussions on your employment rights and your renters’ rights.

Monday 19th April 2021, 6-8pm

English / Español

Register here

Positive ruling from the UK Supreme Court this morning, finding that s.146 of Trade Union and Labour Relations Act 1992 is incompatible with the Human Rights Act because it fails to protect workers against sanctions short of dismissal, intended to deter or penalise participation in lawful strike action.

Positive ruling from the UK Supreme Court this morning, finding that s.146 of Trade Union and Labour Relations Act 1992 is incompatible with the Human Rights Act because it fails to protect workers against sanctions short of dismissal, intended to deter or penalise participation in lawful strike action.

Now we have to wait for amendments to s146 I guess. Don't suggest anyone holds their breath

Back
Top Bottom