Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Two up three down proposed next season

Roger D

The FA have confirmed two up, one via a six team play off, and three down at Step Two next season.

Edited title to make clear it's a proposal.

Last edited:
I can't see anything about this on the FA or National League websites. Does this mean from each of the two divisions, or from the two combined? This season it was supposed to be two up from each division but only the bottom team down from each division, plus the second bottom side with the worst points per game.

We're still one club short in the South Division due to the knock on from Bury's demise and were due to increase to 24 clubs as soon as Step 3 can provide the promotion candidates to make it happen.

Looks like I over egged it, apologies. I double checked with the person who told me, it's the FA proposal. Though as they set the rules it will happen.

It's per division. Eight teams up from step three, two per step three division, so a net gain of two step two clubs for 2022/23.

Edited to say an Ollie Bayliss tweet confirms this is currently a proposal and to correct some dodgy maths.

Last edited:
This is the information posted by Ollie Bayliss, who is a reliable source:

They've clearly abandoned the plan to increase National North and South to 24 clubs each. Macclesfield's demise now means two vacancies in total for the National League, hence 6 down in total from Step 2 and 8 up in total from Step 3 to give the standard numbers of 24 for the National Division and 22 for each regional division the following season.

Back
Top Bottom