Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

My family came via Uganda so there's also all sorts of swahili words in our Gujarati. Led to some very confused conversations the first time I went to India :D
My mother in law came from South Africa. I'm not quite sure how it's affected her Gujarati, obviously, although it does mean that Zuleikha Mayat's Indian Delights is heavily used as a cook book.

I forgot to say that I did write to the THT about their veggie burger and they replied - a decent reply to be fair to them. So I told them it tasted like one of those Birds Eye mashed potato and veg ones deep fried - anyway, it turns out they handmade it from white beans and veg from Natoora (so pricey veg basically). :eek::oops: Such a shame as someone will have gone to a lot of effort with that but they obviously didn't think about the texture - having something really mushy and carby inside bread with chips - it's just too much. It was tasty alright but I would have preferred something with some bite - not a big pile of mush and I felt quite dodgy afterwards. Anyway, they also did admit that they were going to rethink their veggie offerings and bar menu so I hope they do. A friend of mine who I owe a drink suggested we go there Friday night - I'll check, but if that's still the only option we'll probably go somewhere else.

They seem to have taken the rarebit off the menu too....

that wasn't there when I went. The only veggie option (on the bar menu) was the burger. Just looked now and they also have a squash gratin and something called Cheddar bombs which I definitely have to try and they still have the burger. But I'm not confident that the online menu is the same as the one that would be there if I turned up. Anyway, I'm not going to stress too much about it.

The menu tends to change daily....and differs often from the online one...

....they don't keep the website up to date.

that wasn't there when I went. The only veggie option (on the bar menu) was the burger. Just looked now and they also have a squash gratin and something called Cheddar bombs which I definitely have to try and they still have the burger. But I'm not confident that the online menu is the same as the one that would be there if I turned up. Anyway, I'm not going to stress too much about it.
The Cheddar bombs are amazing and I am not a veggie

At least you're going to go back. It seemed to be that you were through with them prior to the email.

I find their menu boring and irritating. I get they are intending to be posh but I'm happy with a decent burger (veggie) or a nice piece of battered fish...I don't think they need to be so fancy in their descriptions either...just tell us what it is!

Oh and bring back the rarebit, that was the nicest thing I've had there.

They sell Two quails & N’duja mayo at the Tulse.

I just reseached:

N’duja

'Nduja (pronunciation: [ndˈuja]) is a spicy, spreadable pork sausage from Italy. It is typically made with parts of the pig such as the shoulder, belly and jowl, as well as tripe, roasted peppers and a mixture of spices.

In mayo? Eughhhhhh

To be fair, it currently offers the most peaceful atmosphere of the three locals. There was a wake in there yesterday.....so it was rest in peaceful...

...the deceased was an old Hart Regular, so many old Hart regulars were in...and very well behaved they were too.

I think the hart is possessed with a spirit of misbehavior, like a less murderous Amityville House.

white_hart.jpg

Last edited:
To be fair, it currently offers the most peaceful atmosphere of the three locals. There was a wake in there yesterday.....so it was rest in peaceful...

...the deceased was an old Hart Regular, so many old Hart regulars were in...and very well behaved they were too.

I think the hart is possessed with a spirit of misbehavior, like a less murderous Amityville House.

white_hart.jpg
So there was a wake in the Tulse for a Hart regular...that's sad.:confused:

white_hart.jpg
Fucking funny, man. Oh, I mean the pic, not the funeral btw...

I had a Saffron on Sunday, nice Momo's, but made a bit of an error ordering Biryani as the sauce you get with it was rather flavourless. still nice though, and came with 3 free poppadums.

that one star rating wouldn't surprise me. I've never bothered checking, but jesus wept I've had some uncomfortable mornings on the train to work the next day after a slap up Saffron. Im talking jump off the train at Peckham Rye in absolute agony in desperate search of a shitter kind of morning.

oh I forgot to say, in true tittle tattle style, my new housemate went out to the THT last night and James Nesbitt was in there being very convivial apparently.

oh I forgot to say, in true tittle tattle style, my new housemate went out to the THT last night and James Nesbitt was in there being very convivial apparently.

I delivered his very drunk niece home one night. I found her in the road in Putney....off her face, wearing very little clothing, and half an inch from being run over by a car.

I managed to get her onto a 37 bus, where she promptly fell alseep, then threw up on me....at Herne Hill I carried her off the bus, managed to convince her to get up on her feet and walk and then dropped her at Mr Nesbitt's front door....saw her in and then made my own way home...

...I stank of really horrid puke and walked home...

Every time I walk passed Knowles of XXXXXXX (wrong forum? Can't be bothered to change it now) the lights are always on but there's never anyone actually working in there, in fact there are a distinct lack of workers FULLSTOP

The bar is erected so do clearly some level of work is being done and admittedly I only walk passed about 3 times a week but it does seem to be progressing slowly and I'm worried it won't be open come the summer...I do keep abreast on their website but that's not helpful if the place still looks like a building site. The Punjabi guy that owns the homewares shop next door is always complaining about this same thing too...maybe it's just us Punjabis like to have a moan...news anyone?

I delivered his very drunk niece home one night. I found her in the road in Putney....off her face, wearing very little clothing, and half an inch from being run over by a car.

I managed to get her onto a 37 bus, where she promptly fell alseep, then threw up on me....at Herne Hill I carried her off the bus, managed to convince her to get up on her feet and walk and then dropped her at Mr Nesbitt's front door....saw her in and then made my own way home...

...I stank of really horrid puke and walked home...
And they say chivalry is dead...well done Nanker. Maybe you have a knack of looking after drunk girls in distress....

Back
Top Bottom