Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Maharani Some great British Asian films came out in the late 90s early 00s. East is East is a fave but might not be suitable depending on how old your small is. Bend it like Beckham, I used to like a lot also. But watching it back more recently not sure if it as good as I remember. Small suitable tho :)

We tried out the Italian today. forgot the name.. casa Del'aglio? We chose it as we had to abandon our plans for the day due to bad weather but we wanted a treat. It was perfect for our needs, it was full enough to have some atmosphere and there was plenty on the (overly large imo) menu to please all - even the kids. It was very stress free (and we would normally avoid restaurants on Mothers Day). They sell wine by carafes so we could get half a litre and have a nice buzz rather than get trollied in the middle of the day on more. The food was nice. It was all nice. It is definitely lacking something though - not sure what? I think it felt a bit impersonal (although the waitresses were lovely to the kids which was great). I didn't really get a sense of who was running it - not like when we used to go to Brazas or when we've been to Addomme where you almost feel part of the family. The food was nowhere near as good as Addomme - but that'd be hard to beat to be fair. It was also a bit more expensive than we had anticipated. So all in all, it's a useful place to have at the end of the road and I'd like it to be successful and I'd like to think we'd use it lots but I just have a feeling we won't.

Watching Anita and me with the youngun. A very brilliant film to watch with a young punjaban from London.

Peter Bradshaw from The Guardian commented that "There are zany vignettes and comedy Indian relations galore, but the whole thing is very cardboard and stereotypical." Don't always agree with Peter but i like his reviews.
Louise Keller from Urban CineFile Australia was kinder, "a sweet chapter in the life of a young girl battling to identify with her roots and environment".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anita_and_Me_(film)#Reception

I'm going to give it a go, it's out there on TPB.

We tried out the Italian today. forgot the name.. casa Del'aglio? We chose it as we had to abandon our plans for the day due to bad weather but we wanted a treat. It was perfect for our needs, it was full enough to have some atmosphere and there was plenty on the (overly large imo) menu to please all - even the kids. It was very stress free (and we would normally avoid restaurants on Mothers Day). They sell wine by carafes so we could get half a litre and have a nice buzz rather than get trollied in the middle of the day on more. The food was nice. It was all nice. It is definitely lacking something though - not sure what? I think it felt a bit impersonal (although the waitresses were lovely to the kids which was great). I didn't really get a sense of who was running it - not like when we used to go to Brazas or when we've been to Addomme where you almost feel part of the family. The food was nowhere near as good as Addomme - but that'd be hard to beat to be fair. It was also a bit more expensive than we had anticipated. So all in all, it's a useful place to have at the end of the road and I'd like it to be successful and I'd like to think we'd use it lots but I just have a feeling we won't.
That really spells problems for me. Generally good but the fact that you really felt like you (perhaps) don't want to go back says it all...

That really spells problems for me. Generally good but the fact that you really felt like you (perhaps) don't want to go back says it all...

I think if we went out to eat lots we might, but we rarely do and when we do it's almost always to park cafes or somewhere like the Electric Cafe, or we simply bring picnics. So when we do spend that sort of money, it needs to be really special.

Maharani Some great British Asian films came out in the late 90s early 00s. East is East is a fave but might not be suitable depending on how old your small is. Bend it like Beckham, I used to like a lot also. But watching it back more recently not sure if it as good as I remember. Small suitable tho :)
The girl is fits of laughter...as soon as Nanima comes on. Reminds her of her Nanima!

Just the fact the grandma is nanima makes me so happy. My dadima died before I was born so have only ever only known grandma to be nanima.

Just the fact the grandma is nanima makes me so happy. My dadima died before I was born so have only ever only known grandma to be nanima.
I was brought up to be quite anglicised but I rebelled against it and called me dad's dad Babaji. He was never just gonna be granddad! I love the family names we give to one another. They're then easily recognisable :cool:

I've never even heard of Addomme, but just popped on their website and it looks fantastic - AND they deliver! Now at the top of my list of places to try - those pizzas look great.

Speaking of Brazas, has anybody been recently, is it even still open? I went sometime in November but they had run out of ribs and so I had a really dry and disappointing burger. The last time I went proper and had a rib feast was more or less exactly a year ago.

I've never even heard of Addomme, but just popped on their website and it looks fantastic - AND they deliver! Now at the top of my list of places to try - those pizzas look great.

Speaking of Brazas, has anybody been recently, is it even still open? I went sometime in November but they had run out of ribs and so I had a really dry and disappointing burger. The last time I went proper and had a rib feast was more or less exactly a year ago.

Addomme is really close to Streatham Hill station.. their food is amazing and they are just absolutely lovely people! It's not very cheap but we've been for a few event meals - my Dad's 70th, that sort of thing (it's not actually tremendously expensive either). I've not ordered delivery pizza from there - I always feel disappointed by posh takeaway pizza - it's so much nicer straight from the oven on to the table - can be a bit chewy by the time it gets delivered, so I tend to go cheap and get the Godfather if we do a delivery.

Addomme is really close to Streatham Hill station.. their food is amazing and they are just absolutely lovely people! It's not very cheap but we've been for a few event meals - my Dad's 70th, that sort of thing (it's not actually tremendously expensive either). I've not ordered delivery pizza from there - I always feel disappointed by posh takeaway pizza - it's so much nicer straight from the oven on to the table - can be a bit chewy by the time it gets delivered, so I tend to go cheap and get the Godfather if we do a delivery.
OK - you've convinced me to visit rather than get delivery :)

Also means curry ;)
yeah, my missus said that it was a different dialect to the one used by her family (she said it could also mean vegetables)) to be fair her family has been in the UK since the 1960s, and some of her cousins children aren't even bothered about learning Gujarati, my brother-in-law was a bit :-O about that.

Seconded about Addomme. They're not amazingly cheap, but the food is *very* good (weekly menu changes according to what they can source etc). I'd go for a sit down meal over a delivery (although we've had deliveries and mrs 'liver prefers the pizzas there over Bravi's) as the service and friendliness is one of the best I've experienced, it's what a local eatery should be like. Nadia the front of house woman was super nice to us when we went in with a cranky baby daughter who had slept for 30 minutes rather than 2 hours. I was having to look after her on my knee whilst mrs 'liver ate, so Nadia came up and asked if she could take my daughter and then showed her around the place while I ate my food.

Seconded about Addomme. They're not amazingly cheap, but the food is *very* good (weekly menu changes according to what they can source etc). I'd go for a sit down meal over a delivery (although we've had deliveries and mrs 'liver prefers the pizzas there over Bravi's) as the service and friendliness is one of the best I've experienced, it's what a local eatery should be like. Nadia the front of house woman was super nice to us when we went in with a cranky baby daughter who had slept for 30 minutes rather than 2 hours. I was having to look after her on my knee whilst mrs 'liver ate, so Nadia came up and asked if she could take my daughter and then showed her around the place while I ate my food.
Wow, in house baby sitting! Excellent.

yeah, my missus said that it was a different dialect to the one used by her family (she said it could also mean vegetables)) to be fair her family has been in the UK since the 1960s, and some of her cousins children aren't even bothered about learning Gujarati, my brother-in-law was a bit :-O about that.

My family came via Uganda so there's also all sorts of swahili words in our Gujarati. Led to some very confused conversations the first time I went to India :D

It's one of the reasons why we love that place so much. That level of service/friendliness would be hard to fake. That and the excellent food, and the unpretentiousness. It's really nice to have a place like that in walking distance for a treat.

haha.. yep they took our kids off us as well - showed them the pizza oven. When E was little they carried her around so we could eat. The only other place I've had that was FM Mangal in Camberwell where they practically took them for the whole meal and paraded them around the restaurant. Bonus!

This one? Menu is more or less the same as Brazas..
http://brixton-villagegrill.com/main.html#

poptyping han

It's called Carioca but they have changed their menu quite a bit from Brazas days.

They were another family who used to be so friendly to us. We had our daughter's name revealing there, they invited us to lunch on Christmas day and used to bring us left over fruit to our flat at the end of the day rather than let it go to waste. Lovely lovely lovely people who deserve to be very successful imo. Unfortunately we rarely go into Brixton Village/Market Row, so we don't go so often. I am still hoping they open up a little Brazas MKII in West Norwood.

Back
Top Bottom