Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

So is this funded by JP Morgan/Euro SF/Lambeth?
I don't know. I'm just saying it could be.
In Coldharbour and we have lots of projects popping up designed to help "the poor people" due to our 2001/2011 census demographic and the resulting lure of grants.

Same might apply to this project in West Norwood. In due course we might find out if someone gets the accounts. As Company Shop is not a charity the accounts have to be paid for.

I find it suspect that they trade as "Community Shop" to their members/customers and as "Company Shop" to their own suppliers - and the website is constructed so you can't hop for one identity to the other.
The directors are here:

Attachments

• Company Shop Ltd.pdf
    49.7 KB · Views: 3
I don't understand the rationale of this: membership club open to members on a means tested basis. Members are required to have credit counselling.
What is the ideology behind this? The Company Shop (for that is what it is really called) seems to be a typical "social firm".
http://www.companyshop.ltd.uk/company-shop/our-people.aspx

Not a charity, been around for yonks and now targeting areas perceived to be of high deprivation (in competition with already established Food Banks).

The premises are rented from Lambeth Council for a peppercorn rent (e.g.£1) is there also a grant for providing this sort of outlet - from Lambeth Council/JP Morgan/European Social Fund? I'm sure with the sort of slick PR these people have if there is they will have found it.
(AND they are working on a plan to pay their staff the living wage)

I'd like to know more about the "training", what if any are the qualifications of those providing the "life coaching". If it's anything like the Work Programme, and there are parallels here, it's essentially just a licence to print money.

Not a bad business model; your stock for nothing and your students for free; feels very predatory.

ETA; JobCentres are referring claimants to this "shop" which raises all sorts of concerns.

Last edited:
I'd like to know more about the "training", what if any are the qualifications of those providing the "life coaching". If it's anything like the Work Programme, and there are parallels here, it's essentially just a licence to print money.

Not a bad business model; your stock for nothing and your students for free; feels very predatory.

ETA; JobCentres are referring claimants to this "shop" which raises all sorts of concerns.
Presumably if they are doing training which could be put into a work programme framework they might be able to claim "outcomes" from the DWP for selling near-date food at a 100% profit. As you might say a genius trick.
BTW I was fascinated recently to watch some of the committee hearings on sanctioning.

Glenda Jackson was the only MP to vigorously highlight the injustice and hypocrisy of this policy - and she got reigned in (apparently each member of the committee only get a certain time allocation).

One of the strange things I picked up from this was that ESA claimants were not required to apply for or get jobs - but they are required to do training.

Maybe the Community Shop/Company Shop will be training members on how to serve in a shop? Then the Community Shop could get a DWP training grant AND avoid paying the living wage I should think.

7b8f2fc1abcbac361040ddfe45904aca.jpg

Got this through the door the other day. Mix of stuff in it- photography competition, profile of that random coffee shop that looks like an estate agent, tulse hill singers, invite to the high trees agm, offers, and event info, and I do on the tulse hill neighbourhood plan. Oh, and apparently the Hoot is in Tulse Hill :hmm:

Anyway, strange mixture of useless and interesting- all under the banner 'gobravo' which is a 'unique social enterprise that aims to connect all the stakeholders of a community to create socio-economic prosperity in their local area.

Interesting: new cafe on Brixton water lane (also in tulse hill. Who knew?), Lambeth will be reviewing Tulse hill car parking in April and there is an 'open orchard' in hillside gardens sun feb 15th where you can help plant fruit trees that will provide a public harvest

When we lived down the bottom of Tulse Hill we'd get included in all that stuff but it's very much TH ward - which cuts out most of the Tulse Hill area around the station.

Presumably if they are doing training which could be put into a work programme framework they might be able to claim "outcomes" from the DWP for selling near-date food at a 100% profit. As you might say a genius trick.
BTW I was fascinated recently to watch some of the committee hearings on sanctioning.

Glenda Jackson was the only MP to vigorously highlight the injustice and hypocrisy of this policy - and she got reigned in (apparently each member of the committee only get a certain time allocation).

One of the strange things I picked up from this was that ESA claimants were not required to apply for or get jobs - but they are required to do training.

Maybe the Community Shop/Company Shop will be training members on how to serve in a shop? Then the Community Shop could get a DWP training grant AND avoid paying the living wage I should think.

Not a big fan of Jack Monroe but she makes some very good points in this article published today;
Community Shop is no good if you don’t have any money
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/11/community-shop-food-banks-social-support

The leaflet is distributed to every household in Tulse Hill ward of Lambeth - so the triangle from the junction of Effra Road and Brixton Hill, up Brixton Hill then round the south circular and back down Tulse Hill

The leaflet is distributed to every household in Tulse Hill ward of Lambeth - so the triangle from the junction of Effra Road and Brixton Hill, up Brixton Hill then round the south circular and back down Tulse Hill
Well it wasn't distributed to me and I live right next to Tulse Hill station. Although if I look up my address I am in fact in West Norwood. It's silly.

exactly (I think I made that point above) - so that excludes large swathes of the area around Tulse Hill Station which are not in Tulse Hill ward. I used to live right behind St Matthew's Church and then later near BWL and would have gotten the leaflet, now I can see the platform of Tulse Hill train station from my home but do not. :D

I'm sure I'll get over the disappointment though.

The new Italian next to G8 newsagents has nets on the windows and looks like they're doing some sort of artwork on the walls inside...

so yeah, obviously i'm bored.. but the G8 newsagents.. there's one up the road - is it G5? or G6? Are there Gs 1-8 (or more) - or just the two with random numberings?

so yeah, obviously i'm bored.. but the G8 newsagents.. there's one up the road - is it G5? or G6? Are there Gs 1-8 (or more) - or just the two with random numberings?
I think it's G7 but I like to call it the G8 summit shop (sigh). Although I never go in there cos the bloke who tends the till is RUDE. He's always in his phone and just takes your money with no acknowledgement of your custom.

The new Italian place is open and heaving with a right rabble of local characters....they've clearly been handing out some kind of freebie offer to someone lately...not me....but anyway...it's open...

I saw them getting ready earlier on - thought it looked ready to go. I've been around a good bit recently due to "flexible" employment status - iykwim.. :D no freebies came my way either. :mad: I might have words tomorrow. ;):D

I never went in the old place....probably wont go in this one....something about that building gives me a weird feeling.

I never went in the old place....probably wont go in this one....something about that building gives me a weird feeling.

we went in for a curry the day we moved in here due to no kitchen/celebration and took the then 2 year-old. (I was heavily pregnant with no.2). Realised too late that it was Valentine's day.. Toddler screamed for all the pink balloons - ruined a few people's dinners. Haven't been back since. :oops:

we went in for a curry the day we moved in here due to no kitchen/celebration and took the then 2 year-old. (I was heavily pregnant with no.2). Realised too late that it was Valentine's day.. Toddler screamed for all the pink balloons - ruined a few people's dinners. Haven't been back since. :oops:

[emoji1]

Different owners. The owners are the same as Village M
Yeah I like the guy from VM. Don't eat there much but they're always very nice to me.

Went past the new place earlier. They look like they've probably got those hollowed out frozen oranges with sorbet in. Looked like a bunfight tonight but will give it a go sometime.

Back
Top Bottom