Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

Actually, the more I read about that the more it looks like it fits into the 'saw you coming' school of service provision
It's got the zeitgeist, everybody is outraged about the train service so people are looking for ways to get some money back. But the delay repay is designed to shaft people travelling. If you can't get on the train, you won't get compensated. The trains through Tulse Hill run roughly every 15 minutes so in order to be delayed by 30 minutes, your train needs to be cancelled, as does the one after that, and then you get on the next one and it can't make any time up along the route. And after all that happens, you get back somewhere between 50p and £1.

I have signed up for their free trial and the times of the trains are all wrong. There are 5.18, 5.34, 5.48 trains from Elephant to Tulse Hill and the website is telling me about the 5.17, 5.33 and 5.41 being delayed. I emailed them and they say it is a known issue where they give the arrival time instead of the departure time. But the 5.34 gets in at 5.48 and there is no sign of that either. Maybe it is the delayed time it arrives. Either way, I can't work out what it is about.

If the train is cancelled and you go another way are you actually late by the railway?

I think treading on and seriously injuring a small child in the Tulse Hotel is a distinct possibility. I think I might do it in order to raise some awareness among staff and customers. It would be for the greater good. Young bones heal quickly anyway, right?

Did see my first 'customer' ejection in there on Friday lunchtime. A fucked up (drug addled) woman was smashed all ways, coughing and vomming into her lap between drinking shots and cider...She was with some iffy fucker plying her with the drink....he lost control of her really. He tried to order a cab, but she wasn't going....then the beardy, tall, baldy, skinny Italian chap asked her to leave.

She didn't wanna go, so he said he was calling the police. The iffy fucker finally got her shifted and out of the place.

Peaceful lunchtime drink in Tulse Hill? No!

Perhaps an old regular of the Tavern.

Another victim of gentrification :mad: ;)

So I went to the Hotel for lunch.

High beard per square foot ratio. LOTS of small children crawling around in the space by the kitchen pass. Stupid till system. Lots of local staff. Obligatory baby blue Fiat 500 in the car park.

Food was fine - but not exactly cheap.

Sunday lunch was abysmal. The service was slow but mainly friendly apart from one bloke (a no beard, yes really) who was disinterested to the extreme. 3 out of 4 meals arrived together and no apology from the disinterested no beard waiter for the tardy 4th. The food was mediocre, chicken really over cooked and only 3 tiny roast potatoes. The Yorkshire was nice but I shared mine with my daughter. Pudding was adequate but pricey AND I had to share that too! I felt the restaurant lacked atmosphere. We had the middle table and although nice to be sat at a round table, we did feel plonked in the middle and in the way, having to keep shuffling our chairs in to accommodate buggies entering or exiting. I averaged them a 4 when they emailed me to ask my humble opinion ;0)

Perhaps an old regular of the Tavern.

Another victim of gentrification :mad: ;)
She's a total liability. I nearly fell over her coming out of the Hart the other week as she'd sat on the doorstep to smoke a fag...then she had a go at me for asking her to move. I was very polite too.

Sunday lunch was abysmal. The service was slow but mainly friendly apart from one bloke (a no beard, yes really) who was disinterested to the extreme. 3 out of 4 meals arrived together and no apology from the disinterested no beard waiter for the tardy 4th. The food was mediocre, chicken really over cooked and only 3 tiny roast potatoes. The Yorkshire was nice but I shared mine with my daughter. Pudding was adequate but pricey AND I had to share that too! I felt the restaurant lacked atmosphere. We had the middle table and although nice to be sat at a round table, we did feel plonked in the middle and in the way, having to keep shuffling our chairs in to accommodate buggies entering or exiting. I averaged them a 4 when they emailed me to ask my humble opinion ;0)

That's a shame.

I hardly ever buy a Sunday roast - they seem terrible value.

Y

Yeah I stopped but I've liked the food I've eaten in the bar so I thought I'd give it a shot. That'll be my last roast outside of a home kitchen.

Broke my no-roast rule at the Regent last week - the bill for five was £60-70 ... for about £10 of produce! Major mistake.

Breaking News: The Railway have countered the threat to their business posed by cheaper new classier joints nearby by... raising their prices massively! What a stroke of marketing genius, and I already bow to Oz and Simon's business sense as we've all had those massive pay rises that have been in the headlines lately. Why, just tonight I overheard a member of staff saying they were... um... ah... down on takings, even for a Monday. Long may it continue. Pint of Guinness £4.50. Glass of house white wine £4.50. And just because I was told, pint of Hoegaarden £5.60. It's reassuring to know that Oz and Simon's anarchic 90s rave spirit lives on when so many of us have transformed into capitalist Tory scum.

Breaking News: The Railway have countered the threat to their business posed by cheaper new classier joints nearby by... raising their prices massively! What a stroke of marketing genius, and I already bow to Oz and Simon's business sense as we've all had those massive pay rises that have been in the headlines lately. Why, just tonight I overheard a member of staff saying they were... um... ah... down on takings, even for a Monday. Long may it continue. Pint of Guinness £4.50. Glass of house white wine £4.50. And just because I was told, pint of Hoegaarden £5.60. It's reassuring to know that Oz and Simon's anarchic 90s rave spirit lives on when so many of us have transformed into capitalist Tory scum.
I thought their food prices had gone up...and their food is worse than the Sunday lunch at the Tulse!! Weirdos

I haven't been back since I paid £5.65 for a pint of Meantime. I guess that same pint will be £5.80 - £6.00 now. The only way I'll go back now is when there is free live music and hopefully the band is being subsidised by the pricey booze.

yes, its almost acceptable to go there and buy a couple on a Friday night when they have free decent live music, but any other time you are being conned. Fancy going there for a quiet drink on a Monday evening, or a weekday lunchtime, and having to pay those prices!

How much is The Tulse and the Hart charging for similar?

The competition between all these will only increase with Knowles opening shortly. I wouldn't want to see The Hart or The Railway vanish.

Was in the Hart last night. Heating was broken (had a gas leak last weak which still isn't fixed!), loads of bulbs had gone so it was very dark, there was a smattering of old school regulars in there, it was fucking cold. It's in a sorry state right now.

Even prior landlords made sure that the lights and the heating worked!

I seem to think that the Hart charges about 4.10 for a Guinness. I have tried most of the 'craft beers' in the Tulse and never paid more than a fiver, I think it's definitely pricier than the White Hart.

I'd hate to see the Railway go under as it is a lovely building with a good beer garden, but I can't pay for £6 pints.

:( That's a bit sad. :(

It's being run by kids, they're not a bad lot, but some of them are a bit immature. They stand around looking at their phones, doodling on bits of paper, half heartedly serving customers...

..it lacks decent management right now. Which is a shame.

On Saturday night at the Hart, Guinness was still £4 a pint; the other week at the Tulse, their stout was £4 and a fine substitute for the leading brand. Even if this is that week every year when all pubs put up their prices, I doubt they'll have gone up as much. I might find out tonight. Then I can pass off my excessive drinking as 'research'!

On Saturday night at the Hart, Guinness was still £4 a pint; the other week at the Tulse, their stout was £4 and a fine substitute for the leading brand. Even if this is that week every year when all pubs put up their prices, I doubt they'll have gone up as much. I might find out tonight. Then I can pass off my excessive drinking as 'research'!
It's a tough job but someone has to do it.

It's being run by kids, they're not a bad lot, but some of them are a bit immature. They stand around looking at their phones, doodling on bits of paper, half heartedly serving customers...

..it lacks decent management right now. Which is a shame.
The last time I was in there, there was a youngster sitting in front of the fire (best seat in the house) with a hood covering his face who sat there for the whole hour and 40 mins I was there without ordering a thing or being asked to leave. It that is improving the place I give up.

I think new owners have quit trying...

They make money renting the rooms upstairs...pub feels like an afterthought these days....

The last time I was in there, there was a youngster sitting in front of the fire (best seat in the house) with a hood covering his face who sat there for the whole hour and 40 mins I was there without ordering a thing or being asked to leave. It that is improving the place I give up.
Yes, it is really lacking management and the place needs a deep clean! The pizzas are good though but I'd rather eat somewhere cleaner and warmer.

Back
Top Bottom