Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tulse Hill news, chitter chatter and gossip

yes.. just asking because I need to get to Elephant on Thursday for something that requires me to look pretty smart, so if it's all shit then it'll be bicycle and a visit to some kind of coffee shop with a decent loo to smarten myself up.
should be better by then. They were saying they expected them to be sorted tomorrow, then that it was taking longer than planned…. but should't (please?!) still be borked Thursday?!

should be better by then. They were saying they expected them to be sorted tomorrow, then that it was taking longer than planned…. but should't (please?!) still be borked Thursday?!

gah. should have said Wednesday - but your post is encouraging.. would be good to be back on track by then.

yes.. just asking because I need to get to Elephant on Thursday for something that requires me to look pretty smart, so if it's all shit then it'll be bicycle and a visit to some kind of coffee shop with a decent loo to smarten myself up.
It won't be the quickest journey you've ever made, but if you get a 415 from Hardel Rise, you'll be first on, can go upstairs and get a seat.

I was so excited about being in the office before 8 (!) I forgot to update you. I am sure you were all on tenterhooks.... It's fine today and works as it should ;)

The TV screens at the entrance to Tulse Hill this morning still said trains would not be stopping at Farringdon, but the platform signs showed all stations. I got on anyway and it was a few minutes late but stopped everywhere. Nearly said good service, but I'll stick to normal service has been resumed :)

I got the 8.58, which arrived at 9.01. Just made my connection at Kings X.

All the TV screens in the ticket office were down at the that time. There really are too many people for the amount of trains these days. It's a proper scrap to get on a carriage...

There really are too many people for the amount of trains these days. It's a proper scrap to get on a carriage...
^ this!

Does anyone know if there's any financial incentive for the rail companies to run less overcrowded services? Surely there should be some level of crowdedness which incurs penalties (& that level should be less than that seen on current thameslink morning services; some days it's barely possible to even have room to read something on your phone, let alone hold a newspaper or book).

The thing about the current system is, I'm not even sure who to complain to about it.. local MP? Who would have the power to change this?

There could be many more trains on the "Sutton Loop" but they'd have to terminate at Blackfriar's (this was to be one of the major benefits of rebuilding that station). Residents along the loop succesfully lobbied for the through service to continue, so they can't run any more trains.

Ultimately though, the situation in South London is really really hard to solve. The network is a real jumble of 2 4 and 6 track lines, with loads of flat junctions, and mixed service; local and express, and 6 terminii. The "system" is running close to capacity, but that capacity is constrained by the poor integration and segregation of all the lines and services. It would take billions and billions to sort out, and coordination between many companies and government bodies from borough to national level. So don't expect miracles any time soon.

Trains coming through Farringdon suffering again this afternoon. I was stuck in tunnel ahead of Farringdon (south bound) for 15 minutes. Trains were backed up and driver announced this was a result of flooding that had been the problem the day before.

On another note, has anyone experienced the victoria/district line change over this week? How has it been. I'm due to experience it tomorrow morning.

I spoke to Clarke Kent about his lip piercings. The manager won't allow him to wear them at work. But he's had them pierced for ages so they won't close up if he just takes them out while on shift. He's a bit worried they might make him take out his tongue piercing tho. If they do I will start a petition.

I spoke to Clarke Kent about his lip piercings. The manager won't allow him to wear them at work. But he's had them pierced for ages so they won't close up if he just takes them out while on shift. He's a bit worried they might make him take out his tongue piercing tho. If they do I will start a petition.

Poor sod, bet he was feeling proper rock n roll with them in....

It won't be the quickest journey you've ever made, but if you get a 415 from Hardel Rise, you'll be first on, can go upstairs and get a seat.

:D The 415 and I are well acquainted... I was just noting on another thread that when it is extended it will offer a direct service to my inlaws' house... :eek:

so will i be safe, do you reckon to take Thameslink tomorrow morning then... will need to probably get the 8:36 or the next one.

Also, will it be really really hellish? I'm not great when it's scarily crushed up/busy.... although it's only a few stops I ought to be able to hold my breath and keep my head together?

so will i be safe, do you reckon to take Thameslink tomorrow morning then... will need to probably get the 8:36 or the next one.

Also, will it be really really hellish? I'm not great when it's scarily crushed up/busy.... although it's only a few stops I ought to be able to hold my breath and keep my head together?

The 8.36 is always late. I think it starts in Brighton. I've never known it to be on time.
I also think it has become the 8.37. I haven't been on it in a while.

The 8.36 is always late. I think it starts in Brighton. I've never known it to be on time.
I also think it has become the 8.37. I haven't been on it in a while.

tbh.. I could get the next one after and still be in good time but I can't really leave this to chance.

Unfortunately it's raining tomorrow which makes cycling and arriving looking smart even harder. I might just leave a good hour or more earlier than necessary and take the bus and have a cup of tea at the other end if I'm early.

I avoid trains between 7.30 and about 9.15 as they are always busy- I go in early or late.

every now and then we have to do a train at that time to get to St Pancras to get to Dublin by train/boat. That's fun with 2 small over-excited kids, pram and baggage. :D You can imagine how popular we are. I suppose if I can cope with that I ought to be able to cope alone.

tbh.. I could get the next one after and still be in good time but I can't really leave this to chance.

Unfortunately it's raining tomorrow which makes cycling and arriving looking smart even harder. I might just leave a good hour or more earlier than necessary and take the bus and have a cup of tea at the other end if I'm early.
No 68 and a cup of tea sounds like a win to me.

Used to get the thameslink in the mornings around 8.30, absolute carnage even trying to get on the thing, as it slowly trundles into tulse hill with steamed up windows a full scale war breaks out just trying to board. Never, ever on time either. Was pleasantly surprised when I changed jobs and started getting the London Bridge train around the same time- pretty much guaranteed a seat.

Used to get the thameslink in the mornings around 8.30, absolute carnage even trying to get on the thing, as it slowly trundles into tulse hill with steamed up windows a full scale war breaks out just trying to board. Never, ever on time either. Was pleasantly surprised when I changed jobs and started getting the London Bridge train around the same time- pretty much guaranteed a seat.
Yeah, the London Bridge trains are much more civilised. I try to take them these days, even though it makes my journey a little longer.

Yeah, the London Bridge trains are much more civilised. I try to take them these days, even though it makes my journey a little longer.
Same here but they are a right mess recently. Actually, getting home from LB is worse than getting in. It's a clusterfuck.

ooh no.. not the 68 - the Walworth Road would just stress me out too much...:eek: although the 415 obviously has to contend with the Brixton town hall bottleneck...

aren't we lucky to have such a wide choice of overcrowded options?.. :D
Really, I'm a fan of the 68. Never done it in commuter hour to be fair though. So fair enough.

Anyway, safe travels and good luck with the thing you're travelling to :)

Back
Top Bottom