Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Travelling from the UK to the USA with a criminal record

Probably in a Wackenhut (Immigration) Jail, hope not though. I dread the country, heading there again next week and wish I was not.

It's a shame this person did not come back and let us know how thet got on.

Unless they were honest on their visa waiver form, probably the same as all the millions of other people who have been on holiday to the US and back home again - like most of the people quoted on the threads laptop linked to. How many stories do people need before they're convinced? :confused:

Except that you can be as honbest as you want and just like with Canda, and the UK you can be barred upon arrival. It is how it goes. Laptop can link alot but having a passport and a record myself, it is another story. It is a real situation.

Except that you can be as honbest as you want and just like with Canda, and the UK you can be barred upon arrival. It is how it goes. Laptop can link alot but having a passport and a record myself, it is another story. It is a real situation.

I meant that you should lie on your form if you have a record. I have been loads of times - I even lived there. How did they find out you had a record?

I am a dual citizen (probably said that) and they have it on your passport download. They scan you, in and out but even ebfore you arrive they have your pedigree. With the Homeland Security nonsense they already know most things about you before you even actually board but they are humans, and error prone to boot.

The lieing part? If it goes against you, meaning they are actually doing their job as opposed to day dreaming about spending the pocket change they call a salary, they find out very simply. If so, being barred is a huge pain if you have ties there.

For a passport holder anyway, it is different.They have your life on a computer screen. A visitor though, if they do not rise visual alarms per profiling, and it is the sual weekday at say JFK? I could easily see someone making it through regardless but I always think of the consequenxes, as in Immigration Dtention,etc.

In my other travelling, on my US Passport which I have been using for the better poart of a year now, I usually do lie in those few countries (in this hemisphere) who even care.

I meant that you should lie on your form if you have a record. I have been loads of times - I even lived there. How did they find out you had a record?

Things are getting more sophisticated. The moment I arrived in Japan i was fingerprinted and a photo taken. Frankly I`m amazed I wasn`t on the next flight home. Whatever.

Pretty much everywhere you get ID'd, meaning photos. At any Immigration Counter I can recallin the past couple of years there computer cams staring at you. The printing though is rare. I hated my one time to Japan although had a bit of fun. I would have wagered it would be them, S. Korea, or the US doing that.

Unless they were honest on their visa waiver form, probably the same as all the millions of other people who have been on holiday to the US and back home again - like most of the people quoted on the threads laptop linked to. How many stories do people need before they're convinced? :confused:

Is there an exact list of questions on this form anywhere. I don't have any type of criminial record. I just had a breakdown after my divorce, car accident, car theft etc etc and ending in a pyschriatric wing for a few weeks. Never sectioned tho. I am hoping this hasn't been recorded anywhere the US will see.

You know, this sort of thread comes up every so often and I just realised a perfect analogy.

I fly all around the world and have never, absolutely never been asked for onward passage proof at an airline counter, nor at a nation's Immigration counter.

I prefer traveling on one way tickets because it alows for more flexibility obviously. I used to be paranoind on the regulations and would spend crazy amounts on unuable tickets out of the country was visiting (xcheapest available to any nation, and of course it was worthless ).

then I got tired of always worrying, paying extra, and so on. My last trip[ was back here to the Philippines where I live, from Bangkok. Obvousy living here, I did not have an outbound ticket.

At the Cebu-Pacific counter, an airline I have flown many, many times they asked for the proof. It was 1030 PM, my flight was for 130 AM, and I had my wife with me so the money involved in losing those Philippine bound tickets would have been considerable, even by Cebu-Pacific standards.

To make a long story short, I floundered a bit but managed to use an internet booth and prnt out a fake itnerary on China Air based on a previous flight I had taken, and it worked.

the sum? With Visas you can not fake it. Chances might be OK, but if your number gets called be prepared and realise that America is not soft. They will toss you into one of those privately run jails and it is over for a long time. Just think before you act.

Just because 50 people say they had no problem does not mean the next one will not.

I don't understand your point rachamin. The US operates a visa waiver system for UK nationals. If you have got a criminal record, when it comes to the part on the form that asks you that question, you simply answer 'no'.

Miles - I'm sure if you checked on the US embassy site that would tell you. But I can't imagine a short stay in a psychiatric unit would impact on your being allowed entry. :)

The US does not have open access to the UK criminal records system.

I don't understand your point rachamin. The US operates a visa waiver system for UK nationals. If you have got a criminal record, when it comes to the part on the form that asks you that question, you simply answer 'no'.

Miles - I'm sure if you checked on the US embassy site that would tell you. But I can't imagine a short stay in a psychiatric unit would impact on your being allowed entry. :)

The US does not have open access to the UK criminal records system.
Don't mention anything about any psych treatment, they don't ask about it and you have no need to tell them.

Trash: While you see that as a difference, you are not realising that if you get an Immigration officer on their game, your lie permanantly bars you if not gets you a trip to an Immigration prison. usually, they do like Canada does and send you back if you have the ability to go right then but if your ticket cannot be changed,standby,etc you are a goner.

People pooh poh it but they do the same with Onward Passage.

If you go to Thailand 1000 times you might never get asked one time. I just got it the first time after decades of coming and going. So, the point is that although some might get over with that or another ruse, it is not foolproof.

Oh, you think the US has no access? Check with your govt. It has full acess as do a couple of nations, Canda being another. Whether they take the time to check you before you board as they are supposoed to is highly questionable but the opportunity lies in wait. 9/11 changed the wold, truly.

In my experience (travelling late 08)...

The UK DO now share conviction records (but only CONVICTIONS, not arrests) with the US. When I checked with Data Protection Unit of local forceon return, they confirmed this..It was part of the agreement on info sharing in late 2007. So if you have been convicted they will probably know... I arrived in the US for the dozenth time in 2008 and they had my records for the first time.

The conviction is a minor 12 yr old charge and therefore after some uncomfortable moments where I had to answer questions about this they let me in. A crime of moral turpitude is apparently one which involves violence, fraud etc or where you have convictions where the sentence(s) resulted in a year or more in custody. If so, don't even think about lying. Your feet won't hit immigration's floor on the way out (in handcuffs, I saw this being done!) On the up side, after this experience I returned, applied for the proper visa (granted in two days) and am still in the US now, so a minor conviction is not a bar to entry. Another friend was granted a ten year waiver of ineligbility so he can travel on VWP for ten years before re-applying.

Also look at ACPO's new rules on 'step down'. If your conviction is so minor as to be irrelevant, it will disappear from the system after 12 yrs (as long as you are not convicted again) and your certficate (which you need for the visa app) will return No Trace'. As did mine..

Funny old sod is badgers.
Can't argue a point but tries to make it my sticking his fingers in his ears, going "lar lar la lar lar" and letting me know he's doing it by following me around threads and posting the same thing.
Someone tell the daft sod he's got me mixed up with someone who gives a fuck. :D

So the colonial cousins would not be happy if I hadn't declared a 20 yr old firearms conviction (£500 fine and £1700 costs.)

^ small world, my old boss was called christopher stacey.

So that document is saying that the us has no direct access to the uk pnc and us authorities must access/apply for records through interpol.

* unless sentence resulted in 12 months or more in custody or your a nonce or terrorist?

i would like to add my recent experience to this. I went to NY last week, checked "No" on the ESTA form even though I have been convicted for criminal damage and common assuault (the form asks if youve been convicted of anything involving "moral turpitude"). I was given another form on the plane which deals with bringing goods in ONLY, nothing about criminal convictions, then had my fingerprints scanned at customs at JFK and was asked a couple of brief questions about my visit.

There is a lot of scaremongering on this and other sites about hassle at customs, but personally I had no problems and would do exactly the same if I had to go again. and as far as I know the US customs officials have NO access to UK citizens' records.

Unless you're wanted by Interpol, there's no need for concern in my opinion.

Feel free to PM me if you want any further info.

Daryl x

want to go to us but hubby has criminal convictions

would like more info as up to date as possible as would like to go to florida in aug but my hubby has been to prison once and has many other arrests for drunk disorderly and domestic so any one got in with these type of charges?
he did some care work and had a crb done and the list was long on the things he has done the most recent was dec 2009 his prison sentence was in 2003 any advice would be great :)

Did his sentences involve "moral turpitude"? If yes, then no, he shall not pass.

But srsly, I've heard lots of stories about convicted people getting in. Depends on how serious the crime was I suppose. Do not believe people who think that US immigration staff can look up the UK plod crime data base at the click of a mouse. That is BS. I know they can look up Interpol ones, but if he's there you're fucked either way.

he was convicted in 2003 his sentence was i think 18 months but only did 8 or 10 months inside if im correct including being held while awaiting trial it was for a domestic which he pleaded guilty just to end it for false imprisonment and affray dont know if that would put him on a interpol list would it

he was convicted in 2003 his sentence was i think 18 months but only did 8 or 10 months inside if im correct including being held while awaiting trial it was for a domestic which he pleaded guilty just to end it for false imprisonment and affray dont know if that would put him on a interpol list would it

I'd say he'll be alright then. No guarantees of course, but I know people with relatively serious drugs offences who's got in no probs.

dont know what moral turpitude is any way lol

No-one does.

Back
Top Bottom