Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Traffic news apps for travelling in cars

In such circumstances probably need a few bumps of gak to sharpen you up.
And the latest model cars provide plenty of usable surfaces for lining up within easy reach of the driver, what with those flat dashboards that run the width of the cabin. A lot safer as you can keep your eyes on the road whilst racking up, rather than looking down at the car’s instruction manual sitting on your lap one had to use in the old days.

Partly prompted by this thread I decided to give Waze a go this week, as I had to drive to various locations in London for work in the last couple of days.

Whereas Apple Maps remains by far the best in my book regarding visual displays and audio commands, I am happy to concede Waze is far superior to
Partly prompted by this thread I decided to give Waze a go this week, as I had to drive to various locations for work in the last couple of days.

Whereas Apple Maps remains by far the best in my book regarding both screen route directions and audio commands, I am
happy to concede Waat a visual and audio directions
other mobile phone satnav I have ever used. I delivered something to a customer around Dalston yesterday, and on the way back to Mayfair Apple kept trying to send me through a route that was now a NIMBY LTN zone. I had to close the application as even after I kept driving away it would still suggest I reconsider my choices and turn around.

Waze sorted my route back instantly, and it seems very up to date with current roadworks and restrictions. And at some point I also experienced its back road clever routing that sent me through secondary streets that infuriates some folk so much. I’m sold :)

Waze has all of those functions but I guess the screen size might make a difference.

Is there still a monthly subscription for TomTom?
Perhaps it depends which TomTom model. I got a 520 years ago and it still gets free updates. Doesn't suit my new car though so I've got the TomTom app on my phone for £20 a year. Works just as well (but some of the pronunciation is comical)

Is there a way to switch off Google maps on my phone telling me there’s an obstruction / debris on road / speed trap? It shouldn’t come up when driving IMO as it’s a distraction.

Perhaps it depends which TomTom model. I got a 520 years ago and it still gets free updates. Doesn't suit my new car though so I've got the TomTom app on my phone for £20 a year. Works just as well (but some of the pronunciation is comical)

A lot of the apps struggle with pronunciation abroad. Waze was coming out with complete gibberish in Malta earlier this year.

Back
Top Bottom