Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

I couldn't believe that - and I think you've conflated figures there. the 49 is "healthy life expectancy" which is different from "life expectancy". so the gap isn't quite that big - and life expectancy not quite that shockingly low!

Male Life expectancy
(Most disadvantaged fifth of areas in Manchester) 70.9
Male Life expectancy
(Least disadvantaged fifth of areas in Manchester) 78.6

Healthy life expectancy of 49 is kind of horrifying though. And the 8 year difference is still quite dramatic.

I think healthy life expectancy for 'least disadvantaged' is a similar gap to the life expectancy from a quick google, so it's just perhaps a lower figure than we all realise generally. depends on the precise definition I guess - "the number of years lived in self-assessed good health" is a bit vague.

being aware of the huge gap between rich and poor generally in England nowadays (2nd worst in Europe), not sure it is that shocking a gap in my opinion. would have assumed it might be higher. 70 isn't a bad age.

…But I’m not your mummy, so I’m not going to clap at the contents of your potty, still less sigh indulgently at the fact you’ve largely missed again…

Stick your patronising join the dots shite up your arse.

This is the one of the most pertinent responses I have read in a long time. Would be tempted to have the first bit as my tag line!

What could possibly go wrong?
Nothing, apparently
(at least, not on today's maiden commercial flight- plenty of other chances ahead)

Nothing, apparently
(at least, not on today's maiden commercial flight- plenty of other chances ahead)

Yes, sorry - I do realise that. And tbf the whole kit is far more rigorously professionally engineered it doesn't bear any comparison with Titan.
However, I couldn't resist the comparison: insanely rich men doing insanely pointless insanely expensive and potentially dangerous things.

This is the one of the most pertinent responses I have read in a long time. Would be tempted to have the first bit as my tag line!
Yeah.

Im telling you I’m not meaning such and such

proceeds to mean such and such

Is about as pertinent as a fart in a furnace.

There's a behind the bastards episode(s) on Stockton Rush incidentally, for podcast people. Because Robert Evans got distracted by the whole thing and didn't research anything else. Don't think it really adds a great deal to what's been discussed here (and misses a few bits), but enjoyable enough listen.

Yes, sorry - I do realise that. And tbf the whole kit is far more rigorously professionally engineered it doesn't bear any comparison with Titan.
However, I couldn't resist the comparison: insanely rich men doing insanely pointless insanely expensive and potentially dangerous things.
This trip wasn't billionaires it was Italian Air Force officers conducting some experiments. some actual tourists next time maybe

And there’s a marked difference between Glasgow and Liverpool, in Liverpool’s favour. Liverpool isn’t richer, so something else is going on too, and it’s not fully understood what that is. They’re both large ex industrial cities, they both have historic entrenched poverty, they don’t have significantly different weather or other natural risk factors that would lead to anything glaringly obvious. I believe there was another multi agency conference quite recently about this, with nothing further discovered or decided.

Within the Glasgow area there are more obvious patterns - you don’t need to compare it with Hampstead for shock value. Bearsden is well in excess of the city itself for the usual kinds of reasons. There is no accepted settled explanation as to why Glasgow itself scores so badly. What is accepted is that poverty and associated access to medical care/education isn’t the whole story - if that was it, Glasgow would do better than many similar English cities, but it very markedly doesn’t. There’s something else going on.
Both shipbuilding/port towns - which will have a high number of deaths from asbestos-related diseases, some of which won’t be diagnosed. There’s massive death clusters around such towns.

Both shipbuilding/port towns - which will have a high number of deaths from asbestos-related diseases, some of which won’t be diagnosed. There’s massive death clusters around such towns.
Not to mention other manufacturing industries especially steelmakers and iron forged, plus coal mining. Coal contains heavy metals, radioactive isotopes and mercury to name but a few. And Glasgow was a home to chemical manufacturers for a long time. The high flats at Sighthill were built by Cruden on a large chemical waste site.

And where were these places? Largely in communities that were affected by poverty when the employer was no more. Places like Pollok, home to the Saracen foundry and decorative ironworks, or Parkhead where one of the largest forge's in Europe was. Patrick was home to a number of boilermakers (for ships and steam engines) as well as shipbuilders at Pointhouse on the north side of the Clyde.

Collieries of all grades and sizes were throughout the city, and whilst some like beneath Glasgow uni were worked out fairly early on, others towards the east of the city were not.

When people breathe in the byproducts of these industries it's no surprise that life expectancy decreases, and even now we're seeing the legacies of heavy industries across the city. Poverty only makes it worse.

Not to mention other manufacturing industries especially steelmakers and iron forged, plus coal mining. Coal contains heavy metals, radioactive isotopes and mercury to name but a few. And Glasgow was a home to chemical manufacturers for a long time. The high flats at Sighthill were built by Cruden on a large chemical waste site.

And where were these places? Largely in communities that were affected by poverty when the employer was no more. Places like Pollok, home to the Saracen foundry and decorative ironworks, or Parkhead where one of the largest forge's in Europe was. Patrick was home to a number of boilermakers (for ships and steam engines) as well as shipbuilders at Pointhouse on the north side of the Clyde.

Collieries of all grades and sizes were throughout the city, and whilst some like beneath Glasgow uni were worked out fairly early on, others towards the east of the city were not.

When people breathe in the byproducts of these industries it's no surprise that life expectancy decreases, and even now we're seeing the legacies of heavy industries across the city. Poverty only makes it worse.
Similar story in Teesside if I remember correctly (chemical plants, nuclear plant, blast furnace, etc.). Life expectancy in some areas was much lower than more outlying bits - obviously linked to the emissions from industry. On clear days it wasn't unusual to see a red smog across the area from the steel plant. Also the smell of ammonia if the wind was in the wrong direction (from ICI). And god knows what other poisonous chemicals that you couldn't smell.

It was impressive though to see the ground water boiling near the blast furnace - venting steam through the slag heaps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom