Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

It's definitely a pressure suit. That's why they open the valve to start the er... process. Pressure does shit when you have pressure differentials... As something descends through the water column it will equalise continuously; air will be squeezed out and replaced with water.
It's not a pressure suit. A pressure suit is basically a watertight suit of armour to resist the external pressure. That was a normal diving suit that was pressurised to 135psi to resist the external water pressure. I strongly suspect you wouldn't survive being pressurised to 135psi nevermind having the pressure being suddenly released. :(

It's not a pressure suit. A pressure suit is basically a watertight suit of armour to resist the external pressure. That was a normal diving suit that was pressurised to 135psi to resist the external water pressure. I strongly suspect you wouldn't survive being pressurised to 135psi nevermind having the pressure being suddenly released. :(

Well ok, it is a pressurised suit. But the point being it's the sudden change in pressure that is having the dramatic effect. If you just dropped a pig carcass in the water it wouldn't squish.

Well ok, it is a pressurised suit. But the point being it's the sudden change in pressure that is having the dramatic effect. If you just dropped a pig carcass in the water it wouldn't squish.
So if you put a sausage in a vice and very slowly tightened it then the sausage wouldn't squash? :hmm:

So if you put a sausage in a vice and very slowly tightened it then the sausage wouldn't squash? :hmm:

Have you recently found yourself being squashed by air pressure?

See also: whales.

On vices; find me a vice made out of a minimally compressible fluid roughly the same density as a sausage and able to flow around it and we can give that a go.

Last edited:
What about all that Bermuda Triangle stuff when I was a kid? That fascinated me when I was about 8. Don't remember anything happening there for a while now. Or is that part of the alien cover-up?

Think that one died a death when the X-Files came along. :D

Have you recently found yourself being squashed by air pressure?

See also: whales.
Why would you?
As for whales if the pressure was completely equalised as in a sinking body the whales would drown as their lungs would have to fill with water. :eek: :hmm:

Any body isn't a hollow chamber that the water can get into easily to equalise the pressure. Blood vessels can be easily squashed which would raise the blood pressure causing your internal organs to burst. Even after i.e after your brain has been destroyed, water still can't easily get into your skull so you might find the head being squashed etc. :(

A vice also essentially applies a pressure differential. The part of the sausage you are squeezing experiences a very high pressure, while the rest of it experiences 1 atmosphere. That's why the sausage will squash in some directions and expand in others. Materials can transform when experiencing pressures equal in all directions, but generally this happens at much higher pressures than at the bottom of the ocean (Gigapascals rather than Megapascals of pressure).

Why would you?
As for whales if the pressure was completely equalised as in a sinking body the whales would drown as their lungs would have to fill with water. :eek: :hmm:

Any body isn't a hollow chamber that the water can get into easily to equalise the pressure. Blood vessels can be easily squashed which would raise the blood pressure causing your internal organs to burst. Even after i.e after your brain has been destroyed, water still can't easily get into your skull so you might find the head being squashed etc. :(

You wouldn't, because you are equalised to air pressure. Similarly if you are equalised to water pressure, you don't squish. Whales are capable of collapsing their lungs (and thoracic cavity) to cope with extreme depths. Obviously this is a gradient, you (well not you I assume, or indeed me) can free dive to 200m plus. Just a lot of compression going on and it's not a fantastic idea. It's obviously not a great situation for the sinking thing, it's very, very dead. Just not also liquified.

I mean tbh just read up on it, I'm not a hydrostaticist.

randomly if you want to get a true titanic fix you have to go to Northumberland as the white swan in had some interior fitting from the HMS olympic

Or if you are a real Titanic spod, you visit Trinity Cemetery in Aberdeen to visit the grave of its helmsman:

There has been a steady stream of visitors since his pauper's grave was marked a few years back.

You wouldn't, because you are equalised to air pressure. Similarly if you are equalised to water pressure, you don't squish. Whales are capable of collapsing their lungs (and thoracic cavity) to cope with extreme depths. Obviously this is a gradient, you (well not you I assume, or indeed me) can free dive to 200m plus. Just a lot of compression going on and it's not a fantastic idea. It's obviously not a great situation for the sinking thing, it's very, very dead. Just not also liquified.

I mean tbh just read up on it, I'm not a hydrostaticist.

I've seen the effect on specimens that have been brought-up from those depths - which could be pretty horrible - some fish species were virtually turned inside-out by the pressure changes.

Not the Isopods/Amphipods though, they came-up surprisingly intact. Tough, scary things..! :eek:

When we had a spare chamber, we used to stuff it with little toys/household items and the like When exposed to those depths, they would compress to tiny, perfect versions of themselves - A polystyrene cup would shrink to the size of a thimble and not recover. They always made great presents and some have landed-up in museums with their full size counterparts to illustrate the effect of pressure.

Last edited:
randomly if you want to get a true titanic fix you have to go to Northumberland as the white swan in had some interior fitting from the HMS olympic

It has the entire Olympic dining room, a staircase (which played some part in the film) and some smaller bits, incl the wood panelling at the back of its bar. I visited with the Ex, who was into it.

Reactions: Ax^
The pressure at that depth only has such a crushing effect if you are trying to maintain a pressure difference between the outside and the inside. The sub would have had about 400 atmospheres outside versus 1 atmosphere inside. For sinking ships or bodies, the pressures would have long equalized inside and out, so no explosive effects from pressure at those depths, but the remains will have decomposed a long time ago.

With the low temperatures at depth and all the things wanting to eat, I would doubt anything remained long enough to decompose.

For scale, those black tape rings are 10cm apart.

Then the salinity effect on the calcium in bone would have taken care of those remains on a slightly longer scale.

Last edited:
think it has a stair well as well as the suite

what we are on about btw

spacer.png
spacer.png
suite2.jpg

This reminded me of the body dilution scenario,

Most people know there are dead bodies in the sea, but most of those people are happy to swim in the sea.

If there was a dead body at the bottom of a swimming pool most people wouldn't want to swim in in that pool.

So if you plotted graphs of kg of dead body against litre of water there would be a point where people switched from being prepared to swim in that water to not wanting to do so.
It’s kind of the inverse with homeopaths. The fewer bodies, the more potent the sea.

This is an interesting video showing an implosion in a 3D printed titanium sub model at an equivalent of about 1 mile deep. Shows just how quickly it tips from being intact to failure.

Yes, iirc, (I think it was in the oil rig engineering dude's video, in this thread), a similar point was made earlier, that there wouldn't really be a leak in the hull, the hull would go from not failing to fail, sort of go from one state to the other, very very quickly, without that intermediate something's going wrong state.

(So hopefully they wouldn't have had a clue before they were horribly made into pancakes or liquidised.)

another billionaire risk-taker pays the ultimate price:

American businessman and billionaire James Crown dies at Colorado Race track​

I can't stop thinking about this book I read and how strongly it relates to disasters like this and the Titan Sub

Billionaires think their wealth makes them literally immortal and that their wealth means they can pay for/set up crazy schemes such as living underwater or in space. I'd love to ask the author what he thinks of the Titan disaster.

I can't stop thinking about this book I read and how strongly it relates to disasters like this and the Titan Sub

Billionaires think their wealth makes them literally immortal and that their wealth means they can pay for/set up crazy schemes such as living underwater or in space. I'd love to ask the author what he thinks of the Titan disaster.

TBF, while wealth doesn't make you immortal, in general it does confer longevity. It also makes available a number of options for care that makes you look younger and the leisure time to exercise and eat right.

TBF, while wealth doesn't make you immortal, in general it does confer longevity. It also makes available a number of options for care that makes you look younger and the leisure time to exercise and eat right.
And reduces the large amount of stress many of us are subject to because of financial insecurity. Because with immense wealth generations after you are secure.

Back
Top Bottom