Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Well not now there won't be, 110 years after the event. There will however be inorganic remnants of their lives perhaps. Those should not be disturbed.
Had it been a lot shallower there may have been remains after all archeologists find remains that are thousands of years old. The pressure at that depth will have liquidised any remains that will have dissipated or being eaten by now. :(

I mean, a fucking games controller? That's his idea of innovation? This is a deep sea submersible vehicle, there's plenty of firms he could have worked with on a custom design if he really wanted it to be special and unique. It's not a fucking go cart.

I sincerely hope that all the families involved sue the bejesus out of Oceangate, the CEO was arrogant and reckless and as a direct result oeople are dead.
I’m sure it was up to the task. Maybe. I keep thinking of the expense of passenger airliner cockpit controls. And the fact they’ll be regularly tested and calibrated.

Had it been a lot shallower there may have been remains after all archeologists find remains that are thousands of years old. The pressure at that depth will have liquidised any remains that will have dissipated or being eaten by now. :(
And the air in the submersible being compressed in a few milliseconds would mean the temperature was, briefly, a few thousand Celsius.

The pressure at that depth only has such a crushing effect if you are trying to maintain a pressure difference between the outside and the inside. The sub would have had about 400 atmospheres outside versus 1 atmosphere inside. For sinking ships or bodies, the pressures would have long equalized inside and out, so no explosive effects from pressure at those depths, but the remains will have decomposed a long time ago.

This BBC article is interesting:

So it appears the CEO piloted the sub on every journey it made, using a game controller. To me that says the guy had issues with delegation and control. Hope the keyman insurance will pay out.

But there's some interesting snippets about the approach to engineering design - the non-standard design, the use of non-standard materials but at the same time the use of off the shelf components in unintended ways.

To me this all speaks of an attitude 'you can't tell me what to do' and a desire to get a working design no matter the cost or safety.

If the hull imploded but not on the first trip this thing every did, it suggests some kind of fatigue failure.
So, you're saying it failed because it was tired of his bullshit?:hmm::thumbs:

Know what you mean, but those visiting the Somme usually visit the actual war graves, the places you are supposed to visit. Fine margins, but don't go poking around where the bodies are. This feels far more yukky.
Thinking myself, if my at a remove relative had gone down with that ship, no I wouldn't like the idea of non scientists over privileged "explorers" down there gawping. Remains or not. It's a resting place and a place of severe trauma. But then I guess there's all sorts of expansive arguments to be made for and against. But for me, no, I wouldn't like it.

Last edited:
Thinking myself, if my at a remove relative had gone down with that ship, no I wouldn't like the idea of non scientists over privileged "explorers" down there gawping. Remains or not. It's a resting place and a place of severe trauma. But then I guess there's all sorts of expensive arguments to be made for and against. But for me, no, I wouldn't like it.
Absolutely and if I had relatives on the Titanic I'd object even more to it being an over privileged wide boy who had made a business out of their grave (and then yet more over privileged people hurling £250,000 around to go and gawp). And then you add in the refugee crisis and all the horrors of this world, at home and abroad, and these people think it's fine to flaunt their wealth in this way. But then it's also a cautionary tale, there's a reason for regulation and not cutting corners. Neoliberalism, 'innovation' and going against solid engineering principles only take you so far. In this case to the bottom of the sea.

Absolutely and if I had relatives on the Titanic I'd object even more to it being an over privileged wide boy who had made a business out of their grave (and then yet more over privileged people hurling £250,000 around to go and gawp). And then you add in the refugee crisis and all the horrors of this world, at home and abroad, and these people think it's fine to flaunt their wealth in this way. But then it's also a cautionary tale, there's a reason for regulation and not cutting corners. Neoliberalism, 'innovation' and going against solid engineering principles only take you so far. In this case to the bottom of the sea.
Couldn't agree more. It's another modern day grotesque.

It was lowered in a pressure suit, and the pressure was then released at depth. Had it just been a dead pig that fell into the water and to the bottom, it wouldn’t explode because there isn’t a differential working against it.
Didn't look like a pressure suit to me. :hmm:

I heard someone that on that there talk radio the other day while i was in a cab questioning how long it'll before we have a 9/11 theme hotel (apparently there's a titanic hotel where you can relive it all). How soon is too soon?

hmm the titanic was a luxury cruise line from the early 1914..mainstay in opulent surrounding eating food and being waited on so good hotel idea and then pissing a about when a fake ice berg situation happens

going to work in an office block from the naughties and burning or jumping to your death less good idea for a hotel

I heard someone that on that there talk radio the other day while i was in a cab questioning how long it'll before we have a 9/11 theme hotel (apparently there's a titanic hotel where you can relive it all). How soon is too soon?
This reminded me of the body dilution scenario,

Most people know there are dead bodies in the sea, but most of those people are happy to swim in the sea.

If there was a dead body at the bottom of a swimming pool most people wouldn't want to swim in in that pool.

So if you plotted graphs of kg of dead body against litre of water there would be a point where people switched from being prepared to swim in that water to not wanting to do so.

This reminded me of the body dilution scenario,

Most people know there are dead bodies in the sea, but most of those people are happy to swim in the sea.

If there was a dead body at the bottom of a swimming pool most people wouldn't want to swim in in that pool.

So if you plotted graphs of kg of dead body against litre of water there would be a point where people switched from being prepared to swim in that water to not wanting to do so.
Would you draw the line at a toe in a pool, or a foot?

hmm the titanic was a luxury cruise line from the early 1914..mainstay in opulent surrounding eating food and being waited on so good hotel idea and then pissing a about when a fake ice berg situation happens

going to work in an office block from the naughties and burning or jumping to your death less good idea for a hotel
VERY early 1914. So early it was 1912 in fact.

I never thought it looked all that opulent. The flooring looks like lino in photographs, and the swimming pool appeared positively claustrophobic. Apparently there was a Tudor theme in parts of the ship, which never bodes well on grounds of taste. The terrace meant to resemble a Parisian pavement cafe would’ve particularly disappointed me - no open space, and the windows are too high to see out of when sitting down - it’d be better if they hadn’t bothered. Had I been onboard, I’d have been tallying up a long list of reasons as to why I should get a refund days before it sank, in true Edwardian Karen style.

I never thought it looked all that opulent. The flooring looks like lino in photographs, and the swimming pool appeared positively claustrophobic. Apparently there was a Tudor theme in parts of the ship, which never bodes well on grounds of taste. The terrace meant to resemble a Parisian pavement cafe would’ve particularly disappointed me - no open space, and the windows are too high to see out of when sitting down - it’d be better if they hadn’t bothered. Had I been onboard, I’d have been tallying up a long list of reasons as to why I should get a refund days before it sank, in true Edwardian Karen style.
I’d definitely opt for the open plan office with bungee weekend in that case.

Reactions: Ax^

The Titanic had at least three grades of passenger accommodation and facilities. It wasn't all opulence, there was cheap seats/steerage cabins as well. Still, at least there was a nicer option for those who could afford it.

If the Titanic had been built in the present day, then there would be a shit and expensive option, plus a slightly less shit and ludicrously more expensive option. Just look at what they've done to air travel, it's awful.

So, you're saying it failed because it was tired of his bullshit?:hmm::thumbs:
No doubt that was a factor but fatigue is a failure mechanism where cracks happen, hold for a while but the repeated stresses of operation cause the crack to eventually fail.

And if there were audible noises on ascent and descent god only knows what was happening to the material internally. Yes it completed X descent/ascent cycles without incident but there was failure on X+1.

Back
Top Bottom