Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

I heard someone that on that there talk radio the other day while i was in a cab questioning how long it'll before we have a 9/11 theme hotel (apparently there's a titanic hotel where you can relive it all). How soon is too soon?
There's this in Orlando (the Q's visited it on our first visit there). I'm not sure why Orlando is getting in on it since it wasn't going there.
I believe though I haven't been that there is a Titanic exhibition in Belfast which is more understandable. There is a certain glamourous mystique about the Titanic that is missing from a lot of other historical events
Mrs Q in particular was eager to see it. If there was a safe trip down to the site (and we could afford it) it wouldn't surprise me if she was up for it.
There is one bit of the exhibit where you walk along a mockup of the deck which has been chilled to the same air temperature of the Atlantic at the time and sight of the sinking. Mrs Q reckoned it made it feel like she had been there. Middle Q (age 8) already showing signs of her cynical approach to life just complained about it being cold and wanted to know when we would get back outside in the sunshine.

For so many years the final resting place of the Titanic was unknown. Decades afterwards, it was a ship that hit an iceberg and disappeared. Given the depths involved explorers had to wait for undersea tech to catch up. I have a book that was written just before it was found and there was a lot of myth, conjecture and conspiracy theories around it. Not helped of course by the desire of the White Star line to try to brush the whole thing under the rug.

So there was mystery and intrigue right from the start. Then the wreckage was found - which also vindicated a lot of people who said that it broke into two - and James Cameron made his epic film, with the sinking of the ship happening in real time towards the end (moving and chilling at the same time).

There's many other ships that have been lost, arguably none as mysterious as the Titanic.

There's this in Orlando (the Q's visited it on our first visit there). I'm not sure why Orlando is getting in on it since it wasn't going there.
I believe though I haven't been that there is a Titanic exhibition in Belfast which is more understandable. There is a certain glamourous mystique about the Titanic that is missing from a lot of other historical events
Mrs Q in particular was eager to see it. If there was a safe trip down to the site (and we could afford it) it wouldn't surprise me if she was up for it.
There is one bit of the exhibit where you walk along a mockup of the deck which has been chilled to the same air temperature of the Atlantic at the time and sight of the sinking. Mrs Q reckoned it made it feel like she had been there. Middle Q (age 8) already showing signs of her cynical approach to life just complained about it being cold and wanted to know when we would get back outside in the sunshine.

I quite liked the Titanic exhibit in Belfast on the site of the Harland and Wolf yards that built it. It’s very odd as it’s quite a big ‘museum’ that for obvious reasons has very very few actual artefacts…

Trivia fans: the generator sets for Titanic were made in Bedford in the next road over from where I used to live.

What about all that Bermuda Triangle stuff when I was a kid? That fascinated me when I was about 8. Don't remember anything happening there for a while now. Or is that part of the alien cover-up?
I think that's compelling in a different kind of way, it affects it just ships but planes too. I watched a programme about it recently, there were several theories including aliens (quickly disregarded).

Going back to materials, materials of all kinds don't like extremes (pressure, temperature, depth) and they certainly don't like cycling between ambient and extremes. So I am very wary of something like carbon fibre going to deep cold high pressure places and back up to the surface. Did they evaluate the material changes at a microscopic level to see if there were changes or how repeatedly cycling between ambient and the extreme affected the material?

Why was a non conventional design chosen?

I once worked with people who thought that decades of established engineering understanding were there to be overturned because innovation meant doing things that were different in spite of established principles to the contrary.

Spoiler alert: trying to redesign something that was done in a specific way for specific sensible engineering principles for decades only meant vastly increased costs and a component literally trying to twist itself apart because of where the forces were now designed to be.

Not all innovation is good or progressive.

What about all that Bermuda Triangle stuff when I was a kid? That fascinated me when I was about 8. Don't remember anything happening there for a while now. Or is that part of the alien cover-up?
I was the same.

Arthur C Clark's mysterious world with Crystal Skulls and Spontaneous Combustion.

The latter I'm now convinced was by people wearing corduroy trousers and building up static.

Sorry for the derail!

He (apparently) aimed to solve the Rubik's cube while at the site of the Titanic.

So obviously not at all a waste of the 250k ticket, and he was a proper scientist like we were told before.
If I was going somewhere where I was apprehensive I'd want something that'd take my mind off things for longer than the cube would baffle him

Because the 'moral ground' of the original publicity for the family was wrong. His sister said what was probably the truth. But it made the father look bad (it's on this thread).

So reinvent the narrative.
It’s possible. But given how the press run with anything regardless of the truth we can’t say with any certainty that what was previously said was the truth.

Back
Top Bottom