Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

Presumably the search has to yield a result in the next few hours? If the air runs out tomorrow around breakfast time UK, the early hours of the morning are the last point at which this thing could ever be lifted from wherever it is? So the equipment would need to be down there and firmly attached to it before midnight. So they don’t really have until tomorrow morning at all - they have until about dinner time tonight to be found, at the latest? I feel so sorry for the 19 year old as I type this - he should have his whole life ahead of him.
Assuming that one billionaire acting in self interest hasn’t killed the other billionaire and maximised his oxygen potential?

Wondering how fast it would come up to the surface simply due to bouyancy? As all you would need is an rov to knock the counterweights off its skids. :hmm:

Might have been an idea to have the counterweights held in place by an electromagnet so in the event of an electrical failure the weights would be dropped and you'd come up automatically. :hmm:

Whitecaps, breaking waves appear white due to the scattering of all wavelengths of visible light by both the droplets of water they generate above the air-water interface, but also the air bubbles that their turbulence entrains in the water sub-surface (plumes of which can then tend to persist for a short time thereafter: can be as long as a few minutes). This is a Mie or non-molecular scattering regime - the scatterer particle sizes are similar to or larger than the incident radiation wavelength. Here forward scattering typically tends to bring all wavelengths back towards the observer so the point of interest appears white (or some shade of light grey). The phenomena is frequently visible in the lower atmosphere (eg haze arising due to various particulates).

Hence high vis red, orange or yellow for SAR related activities (note: human visual response peaks in the green/yellow, but yellow would be preferred as it stands out better in many natural landscapes).

There you go, another poster ruining a perfectly good thread by actually knowing what you are talking about.

Wondering how fast it would come up to the surface simply due to bouyancy? As all you would need is an rov to knock the counterweights off its skids. :hmm:

Might have been an idea to have the counterweights held in place by an electromagnet so in the event of an electrical failure the weights would be dropped and you'd come up automatically. :hmm:

My (possibly mistaken) understanding is that they had a bunch of ballast that they could let go of, even in the event of an electrical failure. So my speculation is that they got themselves snagged on something down there, which is why they haven't surfaced even if they let go of the ballast.

The guy on Sky seems pessimistic. The noises might just be shifting bits of wreckage or fittings and fixtures on the Titanic itself, which is apparently often noisy.

On the morning news, they said it was every half hour. Surely bits of the Titanic wouldn't be reliably collapsing each half hour on the half hour.

The Guardian has someone saying that they think it’s basically surfaced, and is no deeper than 120 ft which is evidently some kind of sonar barrier level.

Btw, should anyone want a read, this is the best article I’ve ever read about the Estonia.

You can do the archive thing with the link, I can’t be arsed.

And you’ll never get on a ferry again.

I can count on one hand the number I’ve been on, and never go below deck. It’s the reason I once spent the whole night wide awake and with a clear sight line to the exit on a ferry between Aberdeen and Lerwick, despite having had a cabin booked by my employer, and knowing I had a full day of work ahead of me starting as soon as I arrived. And on the way back, I paid out of my own pocket to fly instead. Shetland is not a couple of hours hop by sea, so I couldn’t face the return to the mainland by ferry, only to have another journey to London by road straight afterwards.
I see a lot of similarities in the Estonia & Titanic disasters. Thank you for posting this...

Btw, should anyone want a read, this is the best article I’ve ever read about the Estonia.

You can do the archive thing with the link, I can’t be arsed.

And you’ll never get on a ferry again.

I can count on one hand the number I’ve been on, and never go below deck. It’s the reason I once spent the whole night wide awake and with a clear sight line to the exit on a ferry between Aberdeen and Lerwick, despite having had a cabin booked by my employer, and knowing I had a full day of work ahead of me starting as soon as I arrived. And on the way back, I paid out of my own pocket to fly instead. Shetland is not a couple of hours hop by sea, so I couldn’t face the return to the mainland by ferry, only to have another journey to London by road straight afterwards.

If your number is up... despite having been on the sailing before the sinking of the Herald of Free enterprise, we have used ferries many times since.

I read The Swarm last year. Its an eco-disaster novel that starts out with whales attacking boats and ships and leads on to various other attacks on humans from The Deep. What with all these orcas attacking boats recently I am starting to wonder if this is related...

I see a lot of similarities in the Estonia & Titanic disasters. Thank you for posting this...
It’s a very atmospheric article. Real detail. Best read in daylight - from the technical side to the descriptions of the panic, chaos, fighting, robberies, decisions to leave relatives behind and and last sightings of the nearly escaped plunging down corridors that had become vertical shafts instead, it’s not nighttime reading.

Why would a sub that has lost power be stuck at 120m down, when it had obviously gone a lot deeper than that (1h 45m) in the first place? Genuine question.

Perhaps that's where its buoyancy evens out?

Despite having gone diving I have seemly forgotten most of what I know about this.

Perhaps it was designed to do so if 120m down takes you out of most of the motion you would find nearer the surface.

Why would a sub that has lost power be stuck at 120m down, when it had obviously gone a lot deeper than that (1h 45m) in the first place? Genuine question.
To me? I was just saying what The Guardian had reported as a contrast to Sky. The thinking seemed to be that it was no deeper than that, because the buoyancy stuff had done its job, even though the power itself had failed - hence missing without contact. That was how they explained the assessment of whatever expert had offered it. The reason for that conclusion was something to do with the sound barrier that the equipment dropped by the aircraft would expect to encounter otherwise.

To me? I was just saying what The Guardian had reported as a contrast to Sky. The thinking seemed to be that it was no deeper than that, because the buoyancy stuff had done its job, even though the power itself had failed - hence missing without contact. That was how they explained the assessment of whatever expert had offered it. The reason for that conclusion was something to do with the sound barrier that the equipment dropped by the aircraft would expect to encounter otherwise.
The BBC had someone with a similar opinion.

If it is 120 mtrs deep they could surely risk getting out and swimming for it? Not read the thread so im assuming they could exit the sub without external help.

No, not to you, to anyone. But thanks for offering an answer anyway.

If it is 120 mtrs deep they could surely risk getting out and swimming for it? Not read the thread so im assuming they could exit the sub without external help.
I don't think there exit can open.
Plus even.if it did the water coming in would hit them like a truck. Then they would have to clamber out one by one. Then a 120 meter swim to the surface with no air.
Then don't die of exposure.
Then be spotted as tiny dots in the water rather than one big truck sized objects.

I don't think there exit can open.
Plus even.if it did the water coming in would hit them like a truck. Then they would have to clamber out one by one. Then a 120 meter swim to the surface with no air.
Then don't die of exposure.
Then be spotted as tiny dots in the water rather than one big truck sized objects.
In extremis it may be worth a try. If your boxygen is depleted and no other options are available?

tbf even before this shenanigans they wouldn't have wanted somebody going all claustrophobic and trying to open the hatch when they were on the way down.
i dont imagine a mini sub trip to be the best way for a claustrophobe to spend their holidays though but?

I know what is missing now is a submersible as opposed to a submarine and it has just 5 people on board who opted to take the risk; it's still a bloody horrible way to go.
It reminds me of The Kursk, the Russian submarine on which 118 died.
Fancy going down to the depths of the ocean in a little tube, with very basic toilet facilities and just a curtain for privacy.

i dont imagine a mini sub trip to be the best way for a claustrophobe to spend their holidays though but?
you might not know it until you were sealed in a tin can the size of a small car thousands of feet below the sea.
Apparently OceanGate announced at 12am today they had 24hrs oxygen left so 20hrs now. 12 noon tomorrow say 1pm to be on the safe side if they choke the OceanGate CEO for more air.

Back
Top Bottom