Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tips for repairing a leaking windscreen please.

kalidarkone

Bringing YOU round.....
My VWT4 windscreen has been leaking for a long time. Has effected the electrics a bit and I think water has got in and corroded the gears....its off to the mechanic on Wednesday....
In the meantime I think I should get on and fix the seal. I've been looking on line how to do this but I'm getting conflicting information regarding using a silicone based sealant or not.....

Any tips will be gratefully received :)

why don't you get the mechanic to do it? or call auto windscreens or whatever those people are called? autoglass repair the jingle in my brain is telling me.

why don't you get the mechanic to do it? or call auto windscreens or whatever those people are called? autoglass repair the jingle in my brain is telling me.
Because the mechanic doesn't do that.
I rang an autoglass company about replacing the windscreen because of the leak and they said the company policy was that they will not replace windscreens that have a history of leaking. :confused: bizarre....also looking at the interwebs it does not look very difficult....just need to make sure I'm using the correct sealant.

But probably not worth the excess for the cost of a tube of sealant.
Autoglass are always going on in their TV adverts that their callouts do not affect no-claims discount. Perhaps there is also a reduced excess/ no excess fee for such callouts? Might be worth checking it out.

Autoglass are always going on in their TV adverts that their callouts do not affect no-claims discount. Perhaps there is also a reduced excess/ no excess fee for such callouts? Might be worth checking it out.
They repair windscreens but not seals that are leaking.

Stupid question but how do you know it's the windscreen seal and not e.g. the scuttle panel drains?

Also you're better off talking to a windscreen person in real life, not a call centre. The heater element once failed on my rear window, as it has on my current car actually.

Me: 'The heater element is broken, can you replace this on my insurance?'
Man: 'Is the glass broken?'
Me: 'No'
Man, slowly, pointedly: 'Is the glass broken?'
Me: 'Oh yes, so it is'
Man: 'Don't actually break it, it makes a right mess'

Your insurance may specify a chosen national repair company. Find out. Then go and call in at a branch.

Stupid question but how do you know it's the windscreen seal and not e.g. the scuttle panel drains?

Also you're better off talking to a windscreen person in real life, not a call centre. The heater element once failed on my rear window, as it has on my current car actually.

Me: 'The heater element is broken, can you replace this on my insurance?'
Man: 'Is the glass broken?'
Me: 'No'
Man, slowly, pointedly: 'Is the glass broken?'
Me: 'Oh yes, so it is'
Man: 'Don't actually break it, it makes a right mess'

Your insurance may specify a chosen national repair company. Find out. Then go and call in at a branch.
I've tested where the leak is and the water comes through above me so I've watched a YouTube video on how to repair a leak in a similar place. I presume that as the scuttle panel drains are in front of the driver side and below where its leaking.

My van is not really drivable atm which is why its going to the mechanics, however I will ask them their advice. In the meanwhile I'll give this repair a go. It looks simple and ill know by tomorrow if its worked.

It's most likely rotten around the screen. Definitely worth a tube of silicone before taking the screen out and finding lots of work.
Yeah i had a good old poke and under the seal needs a good old clean- loads of debris- old leaves and mud? The seal at the top of the windscreen is pretty loose so unsurprising water is getting in.

Back
Top Bottom