Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This Should Settle The Dorset Vs Devon Debate

:( No canals. Grew up in Hampshire if that helps clarify things

not really, i grew up in Somerset, not sure that clarifies things either, although they did oust Bath from Somerset in the 70s :mad: but brought in back a few years ago :)

Dorset is nice because it's essentially a Devonised version of Hampshire and Wiltshire.

[/wind up]

;)

Well, as Devon is obviously God's Own County and Devonians are His Chosen People (beware of imitations such as the dreaded 'Yorkshire') it's obvious that Devon will win, hands down.

And, as a Dartmoor native myself, I ca safely say that Dartmoor is right up there among the country's most desirable places to set up home.

Devon: It's Not For Emmets.

As I've just moved back to Devon, I'm well happy if everyone wants to fuck off to Dorset for holidays.

Fooking hell bank holidays are bad enough with all the cornish traffic so yeah please go and get some sun in dorset. :D

Cornwall and Dorset piss me off cos they seem set up to fleece visitors of every penny. I remember stopping at a pub in Wiltshire on the way home from Dorset. Such a relief to get a decent pint and lunch without paying an arm and a leg to some Dorset rip off merchant.

Cornwall and Dorset piss me off cos they seem set up to fleece visitors of every penny. I remember stopping at a pub in Wiltshire on the way home from Dorset. Such a relief to get a decent pint and lunch without paying an arm and a leg to some Dorset rip off merchant.

Not wanting to continue the Devon vs Dorset fun/sport/nonsense - but I did notice that Dorset prices and pubs were a fair bit more than round here.

Mr Bombscare - you back in sunny Tiverton?

Not wanting to continue the Devon vs Dorset fun/sport/nonsense - but I did notice that Dorset prices and pubs were a fair bit more than round here.

Mr Bombscare - you back in sunny Tiverton?

I go to Exeter a bit with work and I think it's quite expensive.

Dorset - some lovely beaches. Nice coast. Some pretty bits inland. Some ok towns. Other than that - there isn't really that much there.

Devon has Exmoor and Dartmoor. The Atlantic Coast, the South Hams, loads more nice little villages and towns. The southern coast. Nice beaches.

I like both. And as I said, I have and will holiday in Dorset again. But I don't think it really has nearly as much to offer as Devon.

Dorset has Monkey World to offer so you can stick Devon up your arse .

Dorset has loads to do for free You dont have to spend money, if youre prepared to look for yourself, and not do the tourist route.

The Purbecks, Cranborne Chase, Kimmeridge and Dancing Ledge, Wareham Forest, all knock the spots off Dartmoor....

My sister lives in Cornwall and seems to have rain all the time. Its been rather fun comparing cloudage with her this summer.

Dorset has loads to do for free
Ewes_in_Pen_on_Dolfor_Hill.JPG

Dorset has loads to do for free You dont have to spend money, if youre prepared to look for yourself, and not do the tourist route.

The Purbecks, Cranborne Chase, Kimmeridge and Dancing Ledge, Wareham Forest, all knock the spots off Dartmoor....

My sister lives in Cornwall and seems to have rain all the time. Its been rather fun comparing cloudage with her this summer.

As I said - I like both. Dorset does have some nice places. But in scale, scope and variety I don't think Dorset can match Devon. Isle of Purbeck is lovely. But less than half the size of Exmoor. Cranbourne Chase is also a scenic and pleasant area - but no nicer than the South Hams, with less nice villages and towns. Dancing Ledge and surrounding coast is up there with the best bits of English coastline - but easily matched by the south Devon coast. I've not been to Wareham Forest - but I can't believe for a minute that it can compete with Dartmoor which is almost 400 square miles and has examples of ancient cloud forest.

I kind of prefer Dorset, but that's for a variety of reasons - childhood holidays/familiarity mostly.

Having said that, Idaho's probably right that Devon's got more than Dorset in many ways, but then it probably helps if you spend a lot of time there. Dorset packs some stunning scenery into some very (road-)accesible areas, whereas my abiding impression of Devon is of endless journeys on narrow lanes. Some beautiful places when you get to the end of them, it just seems to take ages to get there

Dorset is beautiful where ever you go
And the rain in the summertime
Makes the wurzel bush grow
And it's pleasant to sit in the thunder and the hail
With your girlfriend
On a turnip clamp, to hear the sweet nightingale

Back
Top Bottom