Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This Should Settle The Dorset Vs Devon Debate

yeah.

speaking of those miles just got train back from london. at berwick we stopped for a couple of hours due to flooding, were then told to go back down south because all routes to scotland flooded - rail and road - and ended up having to get a round the houses taxi to edinburgh with a posho choirboy and his mum and dad. not a good day. just home.

...whereas my abiding impression of Devon is of endless journeys on narrow lanes. Some beautiful places when you get to the end of them, it just seems to take ages to get there

I think that's just my driving/route-finding ;)

Not a moment too soon. Just think of the lives that will have been saved by disrupting the flow of Scotch Pies for even a day or two.

and stopping the buckfast going the other way

another of Devon's finest exports :oops:

I had a week's camping booked on the Isle of Purbeck a few weeks ago. I got there late Friday afternoon, spent the weekend at a pagan camp, went to Monkey World on Monday (where it rained all day) and woke up on Tuesday to thick fog.

Seeing as I'd already seen the best of Dorset the day before, I cut my holiday short and came back home to a beautifully sunny Dartmoor on Tuesday morning, best place in the world :D

Nah sorry rowan, yer wrong Dorset is indeed gods county and way more beautiful and peaceful than either devon or cornwall and as for Somerset well Tbh they don't even come close :p

This is the best part of Dorset. . .

devon-image-1-62562204.jpg

:D:D:D

That's the road that runs north of Lyme Regis. You go in and out of Devon twice when you drive along it.

Nah sorry rowan, yer wrong Dorset is indeed gods county and way more beautiful and peaceful than either devon or cornwall and as for Somerset well Tbh they don't even come close :p

You don't get much more peaceful than sitting up on Dartmoor, Exmoor or even Bodmin Moor with the only sound being the wind and birds and the occasional bleating, mooing and neighing of the animals roaming free :cool:

And the landscape is stunning!

Dorset is ok, nice for a weekend, and Somerset has Cheddar Gorge which is pretty cool, but Devon and Cornwall have everything :p

You don't get much more peaceful than sitting up on Dartmoor, Exmoor or even Bodmin Moor with the only sound being the wind and birds and the occasional bleating, mooing and neighing of the animals roaming free :cool:

And the landscape is stunning!

Dorset is ok, nice for a weekend, and Somerset has Cheddar Gorge which is pretty cool, but Devon and Cornwall have everything :p

Dartmoor is in fact an environmental disaster area, Dartmoor is what happens when a 365 sq mile area of prime oak forest is chopped down :(.
Having said that and having grown up there I do love it! :cool:

Dartmoor is in fact an environmental disaster area, Dartmoor is what happens when a 365 sq mile area of prime oak forest is chopped down :(.
Having said that and having grown up there I do love it! :cool:

Tell me more (or moor). I am interested in Dartmoor deforestation.

Well, I guess since the bronze age we have been slowly deforesting the whole of the UK. What sets the moorlands aside is their altitude and more recently their conversion to national parks. Most of the rest of the UK isn't so protected and is farmland or built on or managed by private or public interests.
The moorland is grazed now by ponies sheep, cows and deer anything that dares grow higher than a foot or so will be eaten unless of course you are thorny or un pallatable like gorse, bracken heather. Over time the gorse, bracken heather granite and peat etc turn the ground acidic making it poor soil for the trees and therefore a bit of a wasteland. Wistmans wood is all that remains of the great Oak forests
The same happened on Easter Island one of our first environmental disasters.

http://www.zealmonline.co.uk/devondartmoor.html gives a nice insight into Dartmoor.

Wistmans wood is all that remains of the great Oak forests

Apparently there's 3 areas of the original woodland left, can't remember the names of the other 2 but will try and find them. Wistman's Wood is the most magical wood I've ever been to! They've planted seeds from the wood on the other side of the river now so hopefully Wistmans's Wood will be expanding once again :)

Wistman's Wood is the most magical wood I've ever been to! They've planted seeds from the wood on the other side of the river now so hopefully Wistmans's Wood will be expanding once again :)

Yeah, it's the only place I've been where I would have fully expected a little person/fairy/elf/dwarf to appear before my eyes :D

Back
Top Bottom