Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to do near Haverfordwest

Dan U

Boompty
With a toddler.

I've got a bit of work near Haverfordwest for a few days in late Feb. Considering converting it to a family holiday.

We have a nearly 2 year old who loves the outdoors (within normal toddler limits)

Any suggestions of must sees or must dos and the odd indoor suggestion in case we get 7 days of shit weather and need a break?

I've Googled the local swimming pool as one back up.

Happy to travel a bit.

I've never been past Neath so looking forward to it.

Thanks!

You're very much in luck. It's more how much time do you have? You're smack in the middle of Pembrokeshire, one of the best places in the UK for family holidays.

You're within a few miles of many of the UKs finest beaches, my favourites are Broadhaven South, Barafundle, Newgale, Tenby South. Haverfordwest is a stone's throw from Broadhaven North. Basically all are miles of sandy beach, beautiful views. Don't think that because it's February you shouldn't visit them. We were on Saundersfoot beach on Xmas Day. You'll have them to yourselves. Depends how traditional seaside resort or unspoilt and empty you want.

You're also near the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path for walking, and there are plenty of bits you can do with a kid if you don't mind carrying. There are guides online or I'll link when not on a phone. A good family day is Stackpole Lily Ponds, Broadhaven South Beach and lunch at the old cafe in someone's house in Bosherston. Tenby is a very kid friendly town with a soft play, you can go on a seal safari and visit the monks and chocolate on Caldey, which also has lovely walks.

Manor House Park is the zoo taken over by Anna Ryder Richardson with loads of space for the animals and a proper breeding programme, you can go in with the lemurs and wallabies and there's lots of really endangered species with lots of space. a lot of local parents buy the cheap season ticket and use it as a huge outdoor soft play in summer. There's loads of balance bikes and toy tractors for the kids and swings etc. The cafe is always rammed with families. It's near St Florence. It's open, we went over Christmas.

Folly Farm has a more traditional but huge zoo area - also an absolutely vast indoor soft play, an indoor fairground, a petting farm and outdoor rides. Every South Welsh small child probably comes here once. A good rainy day option. It's between Narberth and Saundersfoot. It'll be open.

You could also drive up from Haverfordwest to St David's, stop at Newgale pub have a Potter on the beach, up to Solva a beautiful little village worth a look around, go around the cathedral and town at St David's and back.

The whole area is geared up for holidaying families, and even out of season there'll be stuff on. a'm not sure specifically about Haverfordwest but I have a work colleague from there I could ask. My partners parents live down there and we spend half the summer there, we love it. Happy to have pms!

Last edited:
Sorry about choppy writing style. On phone! Just remembered, may be too early in the year but there's also taking a boat to Skomer the RSPB reserve and I'll link later to a farm where kids can see sheepdogs sheepdogging near St David's.

Wow lovely thanks Plumdaff I think you have made our mind up for us, it's on!

We are looking at cottages round Newgale, we definitely want to be as near as possible to the beach.

We took him to camber Sands over Xmas on a beautiful day and we had lots of fun despite the cold.

Eta - reckon we will make a week of it. If I need to work I can probably blag a desk for another day where I am doing my other work if the place doesn't have WiFi or decent 3g (am not holding out big hopes for either )

Loads to do out that way. Like said, Folly farm is good for animals and shizzle, the lagoon in Abereiddi, just north of St Davids is great for throwing kids in although quite cold. all the beaches round there are great. you can go and see the seals that hang out on the beaches round that way or take a boat out and see them on the islands. I like a small village in the Presellis called Rosebush. The old quarry's have been filled in and the water is crystal clear and they have an old zinc pub there to keep the adults entertained.

You can't go wrong really, wherever you go down there is beautiful

You could get full-length wetsuits for you all and brave the sea in them. :)

Not much to add to the very helpful post above tbh. It's a beautiful area of the country.

You could get full-length wetsuits for you all and brave the sea in them. :)

Not much to add to the very helpful post above tbh. It's a beautiful area of the country.

am gonna take my 5/3 and boots/gloves in case there is any surf and hire a board. not worth lugging my long board down on the off chance though.

thanks all for more suggestions.

just checked the Druidstone Pub website. :D:thumbs:

we are gonna stay v near I think, so will def visit.

just checked the Druidstone Pub website. :D:thumbs:

we are gonna stay v near I think, so will def visit.
:) It's a magic place. Set up by some hippy friends of my parents (now passed on and handed over to their kids). It's the best beach in the country, IMO.

Good luck with West Wales Dan U -- as they say above, there's some truly beautiful coastal spots :cool:

We tend to find Pembrokeshire all too far West for us most of the time, but if you happen to be passing through Swansea as well (on the way or way back?), give us a shout and we can maybe overlap :)

Good luck with West Wales Dan U -- as they say above, there's some truly beautiful coastal spots :cool:

We tend to find Pembrokeshire all too far West for us most of the time, but if you happen to be passing through Swansea as well (on the way or way back?), give us a shout and we can maybe overlap :)

thanks for the offer, as nice as a pint would be i suspect when we hit Swansea we will be in gritted-teeth-stop-complaining-toddler mode :D

It's a bit nice down here. Just spent a lovely morning/lunch time in Tenby. Played on the beach

Currently chilling with a beer at our rental in Newgale

Work tomorrow and weds sadly for me, Folly Farm later in the week.

It's like Cornwall without the braying.

Approve.

65e2caef61e111c1dc19d1cabb0aedc5.jpg

You're so far west you've got to drink San Mig? :eek: :(

I sympathise. The Far West needs detailed research ;) to find rarer than rare better beer.

Enjoy your time though Dan U -- weather looking nice for tomorrow (Tues) :) :cool:

You're so far west you've got to drink San Mig? :eek: :(

I sympathise. The Far West needs detailed research ;) to find rarer than rare better beer.

Enjoy your time though Dan U -- weather looking nice for tomorrow (Tues) :) :cool:

:D

it was sunny, that means lager.

i have been on the case with the double dragon and Tomas (?) in the local pubs.

Back
Top Bottom