Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

There is a new petrol this month (Sept 2021) and not all cars are compatible — did you know?

Have you heard of this change before reading about it in this thread?

• Yes I had heard about this already (car owner)

Votes: 35 51.5%
  • No, this is the first I’m hearing about this change (car owner)

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Yes I had heard about this already (not a car owner)

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • No, this is the first I’m hearing about this change (not a car owner)

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah, this is a good point.

I don't own a car and drive a diesel vehicle at work, but I also use various petrol fueled machines, so will have to find out whether this might affect them.
This says that you should not use E10 for mowers.
''Petrol powered garden machinery and generators are also likely not to be compatible, so these should use super unleaded after September..'

None of my m/bikes are compatible with E5 or E10 fuels (being built in the 1960s).

Not quite sure what I'll be doing about it.

Just to be awkward, my car is an old diesel Peugeot 206 ... and I keep it properly serviced, before anyone asks.

It's been E5 for years, so what have you been running the bikes on?

I never did a high mileage on them even back then and the two bigger bikes have been SORN'd for some time. Fuel & lack of time being the main reasons I'm not on them. The other one's a two-stroke.
I think there are some additives available, but I can't remember the details atm.

Will be asking the owner's club(s) for some info in the next week or two, as I know they are studying the situation.

''Petrol powered garden machinery and generators are also likely not to be compatible, so these should use super unleaded after September..'
Thanks for that.

I'll have a proper look at the link later and discuss with colleagues if we need to switch to super unleaded.

I saw something about it a while ago

My (2008) car is OK

There were signs up about it at the petrol station I went to yesterday - didn't really read them in detail.

I've known about this for a while as I make it my business to know about these sorts of things what with all the low emission and ultra low emission zones popping up around the country. I don't think its been particularly well publicised mind.

Poll fail though as I'm a car driver but not a car owner.

I didn't know about this, at the moment I use what is it 95 Ron? the lower octane of the two lead free options. If a new one appears I would have to investigate if my car can run on it.

i had a quick soon weeks ago and was reassured I could barely find any common cars affected.

The main one is 00s Golfs and Polos. That was about it. I cant see there being any issues. Almost all cars will be fine. And even the old bangers that aren't will probably run ok on E10...

And even the old bangers that aren't will probably run ok on E10...

what i've read suggests it won't kill the engine (like putting diesel in instead of petrol or vice versa) but will gradually knacker it, so not recommended

what i've read suggests it won't kill the engine (like putting diesel in instead of petrol or vice versa) but will gradually knacker it, so not recommended

The comments on the BBC website article are interesting, with someone saying that you shouldn't leave E10 in your engine for a long time as it turns to jelly. :D Or something like that.

E5 is also going to be more expensive.

Yes I knew about this ages ago because as a responsible car owner I keep abreast of these things.

Drivers not reading the motoring press leads to people not knowing how to use smart motorway etc. I’ve got zero sympathy for anyone whose shot heap finally expires due to putting the wrong fuel in it.

yes and consensus seems to be that you will get less miles to the gallon (or whatever the metric equivalent is) from E10 so you will end up paying more...

Works out at about 10p a tank.

Replaced my blower at work with a battery one a few months ago 👍

(neighbours working from home in the daytime due to Covid started getting a WhatsApp posse together about the noise the old petrol one made)

Back
Top Bottom