Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

There is a new petrol this month (Sept 2021) and not all cars are compatible — did you know?

Have you heard of this change before reading about it in this thread?

• Yes I had heard about this already (car owner)

Votes: 35 51.5%
  • No, this is the first I’m hearing about this change (car owner)

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • Yes I had heard about this already (not a car owner)

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • No, this is the first I’m hearing about this change (not a car owner)

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I did not know and filled up this morning without noticing anything different. But pretty sure it was E10, I checked the number against what it says inside the fuel flap so must be OK (because I don't trust myself to read words that early). Funnily enough I remember seeing the super unleaded E number and thought it was higher, but must have been E5.

I don’t know about that. When I went to check my Panda, the following Fiats were listed as not compatible:
  • Barchetta: 1.8 litre
  • Bravo/Brava (Type 182): 1.6 litre
  • Doblò: 1.6 litre
  • Marea: 1.6 and 2.0 litre
  • Multipla: 1.6 litre
  • Palio: 1.6 litre
  • Punto (Type 188): 1.8 litre
  • Stilo: 1.6 litre (only displacement 1.596 cm3), Stilo 1.8 litre and Stilo 2.4 litre

These are all around 20 years old and as I said, likely to have other issues if they're still on the road. On the other hand some may have just been looked after in which case maybe future classics and the owners would probably be using super-grade fuel anyway. But yes, the government could probably done a bit more. This has been going on for years though.

As far as I understand it, if your car is not compatible with the new E10 95 Ron petrol, you can use the (more expensive) 98 Ron super unleaded which will still be E5

this is in my owners manual.
i think it means i am fine to use e10?

Screenshot 2021-09-01 at 08.20.44.png
absolutely no idea what the last sentence means though.

It hasn't been dropped "at the last second". It was first announced for consultation around March 2020, with confirmation of the coming change in Feb of this year iirc

That's just the legislation though. Blends of E10 (and higher - Brazil uses up to E25) have been used by various countries for at least a decade. I think the US has had E10 for longer than that in places. Car manufacturers have known about this since at least the 90s, which is why the vast majority of cars are unaffected.

Last edited:
I heard or rather read about it months ago almost certainly on BBC news. Mine is a diesel, Mrs Q's Nissan and Son Q's Golf are both more than new enough not to be affected.

It hasn't been dropped "at the last second". It was first announced for consultation around March 2020, with confirmation of the coming change in Feb of this year iirc
It is at the last second to those people that haven’t heard about it. There’s no point having a consultation or confirming a change if you don’t tell people!

What happens if one puts E10 on a non-compatible car? I mean, are the consequences immediate and severe, as in your engine stops working right away, or a gradual deterioration of performance that wouldn't result in big problems if it's just the one tank of petrol you let go through?

What happens if one puts E10 on a non-compatible car? I mean, are the consequences immediate and severe, as in your engine stops working right away, or a gradual deterioration of performance that wouldn't result in big problems if it's just the one tank of petrol you let go through?

Read about it 3 weeks ago in my Dads newspaper when he visited. The same day I saw a sign in a Petrol station.

I checked online and my car, a 2009 Mercedes, is fine. I also discovered that there is or will be soon a clean air zone / congestion charge for parts of Bath, Bristol and somewhere else. Maybe Birmingham?

Read about it 3 weeks ago in my Dads newspaper when he visited. The same day I saw a sign in a Petrol station.

I checked online and my car, a 2009 Mercedes, is fine. I also discovered that there is or will be soon a clean air zone / congestion charge for parts of Bath, Bristol and somewhere else. Maybe Birmingham?
The Birmingham one went live in June.

Cheers. So it sounds as if you wouldn't fuck up your car at all by one accidental fill-up with E10, but it's not something you'd want to do regularly.
That's what someone on the telly said earlier - I think he suggested diluting it as soon as possible would help - so maybe use a third of the tank, then top up with E5, etc.

Also would like to know about petrol powered tools eg mower.
Yeah, this is a good point.

I don't own a car and drive a diesel vehicle at work, but I also use various petrol fueled machines, so will have to find out whether this might affect them.

I

I’ve got an Avensis but 2012 so should be ok?

Looks ok to me ....

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Toyota European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:

• Avensis 2.0 litre with engine 1AZ-FSE made between July 2000 and October 2008.
  • Avensis 2.4 litre with engine 2AZ-FSE made between June 2003 and October 2008.
These models, and those produced before 1998 should continue to use E5.

Back
Top Bottom