Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

I always took it as they were very different people, different values, and different motivations. He claims he wants to be more like Frank but given the way stuff is on the docks that path isn't open anymore.
That is how I took it. What prompted me to post that was an interview with Chris Bauer (Francis "Frank" Sobotka) saying that his understanding/feeling was that Ziggy was not his biological son. No mention of Ziggy's mother or homelife :hmm:

That is how I took it. What prompted me to post that was an interview with Chris Bauer (Francis "Frank" Sobotka) saying that his understanding/feeling was that Ziggy was not his biological son. No mention of Ziggy's mother or homelife :hmm:

I mean, why's Frank looking out for Ziggy so much, then? I know Frank is a stand up guy, but that stand-up? If your wife/girlfriend had a child by someone else, then you agreed to bring him up as your own to keep the relationship alive, then that relationship ended anyway and your child was as much of a (loveable) knob as Ziggy, would you really keep looking out for him...? Obviously Nicki and Ziggy repeatedly refer to each other as cousins, too, and Nicki's dad is Frank's brother. I'm not buying it. Interesting speculation, but assuming facts with (next to) zero evidence much...?

I mean, why's Frank looking out for Ziggy so much, then? I know Frank is a stand up guy, but that stand-up? If your wife/girlfriend had a child by someone else, then you agreed to bring him up as your own to keep the relationship alive, then that relationship ended anyway and your child was as much of a (loveable) knob as Ziggy, would you really keep looking out for him...? Obviously Nicki and Ziggy repeatedly refer to each other as cousins, too, and Nicki's dad is Frank's brother. I'm not buying it. Interesting speculation, but assuming facts with (next to) zero evidence much...?

I don't buy it either but you could have a backstory that would work, something like Frank believes Ziggy is his kid until Ziggy is old enough that a proper parental bond is formed, then his wife dies and he finds out at that point she had an affair and Ziggy isn't his but the actual father isn't around for whatever reason so being a stand up guy he shoulders the responsibility which isn't hard because he had a genuine parental bond which hasn't been broken (fully) by the new knowledge.
Or his wife was raped, got pregnant from that, had Ziggy then killed herself. Dark as fuck but i could definitely see Frank bringing up Ziggy as his own following that.

I never took that phrase to be literal when i watched the wire, never even occurred to me.

I don't buy it either but you could have a backstory that would work, something like Frank believes Ziggy is his kid until Ziggy is old enough that a proper parental bond is formed, then his wife dies and he finds out at that point she had an affair and Ziggy isn't his but the actual father isn't around for whatever reason so being a stand up guy he shoulders the responsibility which isn't hard because he had a genuine parental bond which hasn't been broken (fully) by the new knowledge.
Or his wife was raped, got pregnant from that, had Ziggy then killed herself. Dark as fuck but i could definitely see Frank bringing up Ziggy as his own following that.

I never took that phrase to be literal when i watched the wire, never even occurred to me.

Good spot

One of the greatest things about the wire was just how realistic the characters seemed to be. Like, how they really did feel like real people with unspoken histories, how if you showed up at the Baltimore docks, you might just bump into Ziggy and Nikki (and Horse Face), and they'd be there, doing their thing... Or head down west-side, onto Crenshaw, and Naymond, Michael, Dukie and Randy could be hanging out...

Back
Top Bottom