Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

It was the most difficult for me, the first time round, simply because of the complete change of setting, story, charecters etc. It's also the least easily accessable of all the seasons, in a show that is legendarily unaccessable.

However, on rewatching, its actually extremely good and stands out as solidly as the first (or fourth, imo, but you haven't got that far...) In particular, it is worth watching just for the continued story of the dealers from season 1, omar, bubs etc. A stand out scene is omars court appearance, about halfway through - very funny...

Yeah, I'm gonna give it a bit more of a concerted effort this time. Watching that interview got me excited about seeing it again.

In fact let us take a few moments to pay homage to the bunk

The lie detector

In fact let us take a few moments to pay homage to the bunk

The lie detector

Originally done in Homicide, and, in fact, recounted in Simon's book, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. I prefer the Homicide version myself.

Originally done in Homicide, and, in fact, recounted in Simon's book, Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets. I prefer the Homicide version myself.
Maybe, but that scene provides the two spoken line clues as to the essential neo-con theme of S5:

"Americans are a stupid people by and large. We pretty much believe anything we’re told"

"The bigger the lie, the more they believe”

Double nerd points for you. Truth be told it doesn't really work in a 2009 situation. Even Mopes have seen CSI.

11.20pm. Every night. Which means it finishes at 12.20am. Every morning. I can't function on that little sleep. I'm usually in bed by 10.30pm. It'll kill me!

Hopefully it'll be on Iplayer, so you can enjoy it with your 8 o'clock cup of coco. Do you keep your teeth, in or out at night. :D

Dominic West was just on 5-Live for a bit (I never realised just how posh his real accent is).

Every single caller (unless I missed a few, didn't hear the whole thing) raving about the show and urging people to watch it.

Another DJ reviewing The Wire after 3pm on 5-Live too, so at least they're giving it some promoting.

Im trying to find the commentary where Michael K. Williams and Dominic West are messing about and doing each other's accents.

Apparently Michael asks Dominic to spank his botty :)

Does anyone know which DVD it is?

Going to watch this tonight to see what all the fuss is about.
As others have said, it can take several episodes before you 'get it' if that doesn't sound too patronising. So stick with it even if ep1 doesn't really grab you by the balls/ovaries.

Everyone's being mean to me. I can't help it if I have to go to bed early.

OU I don't know what PVR is, but if it relates to some weirdo recording technology I have a VCR if that helps.

my guess is it will get rave reviews/high viewing figures and they'll move its slot to something better like 10pm pretty damn quickly.

I'm getting quite excited now. Is that sad?

Must find a decent video that isn't borked. I mght stay up and watch some of them. It depends if I need to be up at 7 the next morning or not.

Nice article on BBC news site with Dominic West bemoaning the state of British (non costume) drama.

Actually he seemed slightly out of his depth in the interview situation but Andrew Billen, a TV critic, has a good crack at the state of British drama.

I was trying to think of genuinely groundbreaking British drama with vision and flair and I could only come up with Queer as Folk and Life on Mars.

why are bbc congratulating themselves about playing this series years late, fucking hell our irish language channel had it only about a year behind i think

i actually think law and order uk , gives a different perspective then we seen before with the case going to court, never seen that in uk dramas, i guess the police and courts work more closely or more publicly in the us

i presume dominic hasn't seen red riding, or watch c4 much, bbc have done spooks and state of play with i guess or the opposite to the wires look at class politics.

I wasnt even close to watching the UK Law and Order show:) Apollo and Bradley Walsh? Thats too much baggage to get past!

Police and Medical dramas have poisoned TV schedules. Thats where the money goes, them and soaps.

Going to watch this tonight to see what all the fuss is about.

the first few episodes take a bit of effort. Because that's what the makers wanted, they wanted to make you 'lean in' and pay attention, get a feel for it. Unlike CSI, which assumes that the audience has recently undergone a lobotomy, thus explaining every single little thing, spoon feeding you information and terrible one-liners.

If you don't get The Wire, it's probably because you're thick;)

Back
Top Bottom