Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Wire comes to BBC2 (Spoiler free, please)

Oooh, will I learn lots of hip new words?

I'll have to watch it in the daytime - no kids and slightly more brain cells available.

yeh ok fair enough, but it begs the question why did they bother buy it off HBO to then put it on so late? and on a weeknight?

i don't get time slots on telly sometimes...

I'd guess that most people go to bed around 12, so it's a perfectly reasonable time slot. Sopranos went out after 11 and that's a much bigger show. Plus, they expect people will become devoted fans of it, so it doesn't really matter so much when they schedule it.
I thought you'd seen it anyway?

yeh i have seen it. all of it, and have all the box sets.

it's just that i've been evangelical about it to friends and workmates, all of whom have commented on it being scheduled too late.

'most people go to bed around 12'

lol. really?

yeh i have seen it. all of it, and have all the box sets.

it's just that i've been evangelical about it to friends and workmates, all of whom have commented on it being scheduled too late.

'most people go to bed around 12'

lol. really?
I reckon most people do!
I'm not doing a fucking poll though!:p
I've been evangelical about it by lending people the boxsets.
I couldn't give a shit if the hoi polloi don't go for it.
I doubt they will.

I reckon most people do!
I'm not doing a fucking poll though!:p
I've been evangelical about it by lending people the boxsets.
I couldn't give a shit if the hoi polloi don't go for it.
I doubt they will.
I go to bed at half ten-ish.

but aren't you a farmer? :p
If people can't get their priorities right re Wire vs sleep, then they're not worthy of watching the show :p

yeh ok fair enough, but it begs the question why did they bother buy it off HBO to then put it on so late? and on a weeknight?

i don't get time slots on telly sometimes...
I suspect you're making the mistake of thinking you represent a large BBC demographic.

The Wire is niche for the BBC. License fee audiences don't want imports at peak hours, they want original programming.

Heros is an exception otherwise US imports just don't pull in audiences - it's why the BBC has pretty well left the import market to the likes of C4 and Sky for a decade or more.

Well, I am, can't speak for anyone else :D

I have to add though that I do read for an hour or so once in bed. Well, that's the plan anyway...

Its a shame the Beeb are showing it every night,twice a week would be better,give the viewer more time to absorb it all in.looks like one of those series if you miss a few eps,you will prob wonder what the fucks going on,anyway I'll stick with it for a while,last nights ep was'nt bad,you would'nt think the actor potraying McNulty went to Eton in real life.

Are they having a break between each series at all? Or are they really going to run all five every night? For such a densely-plotted programme, that's just nuts.

:D

I didn't really think it was shit, I just wanted to see you all outraged. I liked it, I think it was unfortunately weighed down by everyone jizzing over it on here, so, I guess, I wanted something spectacular. But I thought it was good, I will stick with it.

I didn't really think it was shit, I just wanted to see you all outraged. I liked it, I think it was unfortunately weighed down by everyone jizzing over it on here, so, I guess, I wanted something spectacular. But I thought it was good, I will stick with it.

well, it's not just us lot is it, the critics on both sides of the pond have been raving about how good it is for ages.
I was hooked by episode 1, some people take longer to get dragged in.

I thought the snot boggie(that the right name?) thingy and the whole this is america bit was possibly the worst beginning to the wire they could have used.

so corny. I don't care if it was real or not. It was shit.

I'm going to have to start watching them all again very soon.

dave

it's weird watching it again: at a couple of points me and the missus just looked at each other and said "typical [XXXXX] - even back then they were [xxxx]"

(xxxxxx's added so as to not give the game away for people who have never watched it).

am looking forward to getting a bit of a wire fix for the next couple of weeks: have been deleting stuff off the skyplus in order to make sure we have enough space ;)

I had the same problem. My best mate had been banging on about it for years. I grudgingly tried to watch it 4 times and gave up. Then, eventually, I watched it all the way through and my curiousity was piqued.

I thought the snot boggie(that the right name?) thingy and the whole this is america bit was possibly the worst beginning to the wire they could have used.

so corny. I don't care if it was real or not. It was shit.

I'm going to have to start watching them all again very soon.

dave

I thought it was quite cliched too and a all a bit meh but it is only the first ep. Gonna persevere and watch the whole 1st series. If it doesn't get any better I can't see I'll bother with the rest...

i quite enjoyed what i saw of the first episode (missus was watching harry hill and wouldn't turn over). rolled along at a nice pace, some spectacularly brilliant swearing, characters that felt 3-dimensional. pity they're showing it every single night though as i am notoriously bad at forgetting about things when they're on that often.

Back
Top Bottom