Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The weather in the USA...

Trump is saying that?

I know his followers are saying it but he’s actually saying it too? Wow.

There are a lot of stupid conspiracy theories about Helene going around. I hadn’t realised Trump had said it out loud,

ETA I thought his stuff was all about how the aid wasn’t getting through, was going to the wrong people, was capped at $750 etc.

Anyway.

The most important thing for this thread is to keep thinking about our Floridian urbanites and hope you all find safe passage through Milton.
Oh sorry I meant trump fans, rather than trump himself. I didn't know hes actually said much about it.

the storm surge is going to be what we don’t know. They’re predicting 8-12 feet where I am and 10-15 feet from Englewood to Tampa. Those areas are 90 minutes to 3 hours north of me.

Because it shifted slightly, instead of Tampa getting the eye, Sarasota and Bradenton will. Which is 90 minutes north of me. I have relatives there and they didn’t evacuate either. They have almost an entire community still there. People didn’t leave. Most have generators. They’ve been checking in to see who’s around. Like my community.

Yes, the interstate is bumper to bumper. I still don’t know if my neighbors made it to the east coast yesterday. He called at one point saying he was going about 5 miles an hour (literally a snails pace).

Most businesses are closed. Some are going to stay open as long as possible. There is still no gas in places but those stores who do, might have been replenished - news said last night that there was a gas station that got more gas but they weren’t opening until 5 this morning. I think it’s to give the workers time to get home and prep as well as everyone a fair share to get gas.

Fort Myers Beach is evacuated. There should be no one there. In regard to the video from Ian with what is expected in Tampa with this storm, that video still gives people PTSD. I think I know where that house was. I don’t know if we took frogwoman that far down the main road when she was here.

Sanibel and Captiva should be evacuated. Anyone left on the islands will be arrested and charged with trespassing if they are caught outside. That’s how serious this storm is.

With all the barrier islands around here - whoever posted the thing about a magic marker and writing your info on your arm - it’s true. That was said after Helene too. Write your name, date of birth and social security number on your arm so your body can be claimed when this is all over because they are saying you will die in this.

It’s because of the storm surge. The water is going to get high.

We are still in our community and hope the water won’t be as bad as they say. We have been so blessed in the past with the damages we got. So hopefully the water doesn’t come up the driveways and in the houses.

Yes. First Myers is still recovering from Ian (2022).

Inland is braced for hurricane force 1 from Milton, and possibly up to force 3.

abe11825 Hold on. Good luck.

Yes, frogwoman - businesses are still affected form Ian in 2022. And there are some on fort Myers Beach that are still recovering from Charley in 2004 (there is an area on the beach we didn’t take you too, froggy).

Inland for me is still at least an hour east ish (Lehigh). But those places are not so good areas.

I’ve just been getting the alerts about the tornados. We are inside, in a good spot we hope.

It’s not going to totally affect us until after 5pm our time. It’s an over night thing with the torrential winds and rain. We will be waking up to see what kind of flooding we have, if any. We hope not a lot and none in the house.

We decided to take up some friends with their offer. They are in a two floor house in our community that didn't flood during Ian, where my street did. We live in the same complex, just separated by a couple of streets. Not that we want the water, but at least we can go to an upper level and also watch the house for the friend while they're away for this storm.

We decided to take up some friends with their offer. They are in a two floor house in our community that didn't flood during Ian, where my street did. We live in the same complex, just separated by a couple of streets. Not that we want the water, but at least we can go to an upper level and also watch the house for the friend while they're away for this storm.
What's the wind etc like there now?

Also the category is only talking about the 'sustained' wind speed. A Category 1 hurricane could still have much higher individual gusts of wind if I've understood it correctly.

frogwoman The wind hasn't picked up yet. I mean, its blowing a little bit, but it's not knock you down hard. I don't know how to explain the difference of the categories. It is more humid right now than crazy wind. It's raining a little, but not pouring. It's spitting.

Wind shears are going to be worse tonight, as it's like a calm before it starts. Category 1 is taking little lawn gnomes and making them projectiles towards cars. Strong winds, but not strong enough to pick you up and bring you across a parking lot if you anchor yourself good and walk into it. But a 4 or 5 storm is you're totally fucked if you're out and do not have things put away that can be moved normally. You shouldn't be out past a category 3 anyway. You won't win.

But, we've had summer storms with good wind shears and have been fine. 70mph is the speed limit on the highway. So it'd be like driving in a convertible with the top down, at 70.

Yeah I think highest I've experienced probably amounts to Category 1 or maybe just under it, and I don't want to be out for long in that if at all.

surf is apparently up...

1728487911662.png

Latest model landfall forecasts. Milton is 100 miles offshore. The strongest winds (sustained 115-135 mph) in coastal Tampa Bay anticipated 1900-0300 local, with landfall occurring around 0000 local.
NWP model Milton landfall position estimates.

The tropical storms are precursors to the hurricanes here. As plenty of other people can attest to (someone mentioned Sandy). Those are just as bad as the hurricanes but can talso stay tropical storms. They usually fizzle out depending on what’s happening around them (how waters and wind pick up). Or they turn into hurricanes. It all depends on too many variants.

As crazy as the weather channel’s graphics are when they talk about the storm surge, it makes you realize how bad it is. I hate to love how they do all that because the way they drive the point home is amazing. They’ve done that a lot with these storms. To show you what to expect. It’s the tech I love. Not the storm.

We got so many alerts for the tornados. My mom and I were stuck in the lower level bog for about 30 minutes because the tornados kept spawning and spinning. They were almost mating and going off in their own direction. We had to wait until so many spotting stopped. The tornados had to cross so many areas to keep moving north. We got close but had hard quick rain. It sounded blinding rain. My mom’s friend had touch down in his community and that is quite literally 5 - 6 minutes away.

Some new tornados might be coming back. New ones. I don’t know yet. It’s south of me right now. These are new cells.

And yet the bugger hasn’t arrived yet, so this is almost like one of our worst summer storms. It feels like.

Last time I went to Matlacha was pre-Covid. We went to a local artist's shop and walked out with nothing because she had way too many ultra right wing political stuff around. Which didn't mix so well with her paintings of the Beatles / lyrics, sunsets, local animals. She's got great hippy art, but there was a case with Republican memorabilia at the register. Along with quite the few MAGA shit. They don't jive together.

So I know that bridge. It is the only way in and only way out, if I recall correctly.

Back
Top Bottom