Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The weather in the USA...

Getting a blizzard at the moment. I have about six inches of snow with another 3 - 4 expected by morning. The wind is in the 50-mph range.

Power was on and off all day. There was a crew repairing it until after dark. (I don't envy them their job today.) They found a bad 220 line and they rigged up a temporary one. The trouble with the 220 being iffy is that my furnace needs 220 to run the fan. As it is, the temp in the house is down to 56 F. That isn't that bad, but we're expecting temps in the 17 F range over night. If worse comes to worse, I have a wood stove, but that would mean going out into the blizzard to gather some wood. Not something I really want to do in the dark.

Oh my gosh!!!

...and here I am in Ontario with less than an inch of snow.

Gathering wood after a snow fall is bad enough - doing it at night would be horrid. Is the wood in a shed, or out in the elements?

Stay safe and warm.

eta: How is your Mom doing?

Last edited:
Oh my gosh!!!

...and here I am in Ontario with less than an inch of snow.

Gathering wood after a snow fall is bad enough - doing it at night would be horrid. Is the wood in a shed, or out in the elements?

Stay safe and warm.

eta: How is your Mom doing?

Got through the night without another loss of power. Now comes digging out of the mess.

The wood is out in the elements about 50 yards from the house. It's not really intended for heating. I'm just too lazy to cut up some fallen trees and get rid of it.

Got through the night without another loss of power. Now comes digging out of the mess.

The wood is out in the elements about 50 yards from the house. It's not really intended for heating. I'm just too lazy to cut up some fallen trees and get rid of it.

I hear you about taking the effort to prepare the firewood.
Although we live in a forest, I've taken to buying our firewood.

Hubby is over 70, and feels he can still cut enough wood for the winter. Now he only has to add to the wood pile so that the purchased wood lasts a bit longer.

Ours is stacked outside, so we have to clear the snow to get to it.

I hear you about taking the effort to prepare the firewood.
Although we live in a forest, I've taken to buying our firewood.

Hubby is over 70, and feels he can still cut enough wood for the winter. Now he only has to add to the wood pile so that the purchased wood lasts a bit longer.

Ours is stacked outside, so we have to clear the snow to get to it.

Yep. The older you get the less willing you are to put on your boots and go out in the cold.

Last edited:

Midwest being pounded by snow

Yeh. On top of the snow we got a couple of days ago, we have an additional 8-10 inches. For anyone keeping score, that's 20 inches on snow on the ground. Worse yet is the temperatures overnight are expected to be in the -15 to -19 F range and my power is still iffy. This is why I plant Canadian varieties of fruit trees. When the sky clears up later tonight its going to get pretty cold. Current temp is 5 F at 3:30 in the afternoon.

Yeh. On top of the snow we got a couple of days ago, we have an additional 8-10 inches. For anyone keeping score, that's 20 inches on snow on the ground. Worse yet is the temperatures overnight are expected to be in the -15 to -19 F range and my power is still iffy. This is why I plant Canadian varieties of fruit trees. When the sky clears up later tonight its going to get pretty cold. Current temp is 5 F at 3:30 in the afternoon.
Rainy & cold here; barely above freezing. The higher elevation Plains are being battered...

I had the great joy of scooping 10 inches of snow off my car this morning in -20 F temps and a stiff breeze. I like cold weather, but I didn't enjoy that. When I got done my hands were so cold they were painful when I went back inside.

Expecting -24 F overnight.

Last edited:
Southwest Florida perspective on the white out, flooding and all around other problems that are north of America's cock:

We've been able to keep our windows open since roughly the first of December, maybe the week prior. No humidity, no warmth. It's a bit unusual to have 45-60F degrees every day. I think we've had about a week's worth of warmth, only in the afternoons, as it's gotten between 75 and 80F. Otherwise, there have been some nippy moments in the mornings, but I treat it like I'm going into a supermarket's freezer section - Grab and go hoodie.

Last couple weeks it's been grey and ugly out, like we're expecting snow, but it won't reach this far south even though there were times the area saw flakes. That was before my moving here.

Lately, it's been raining here (most afternoons, it's a good misting), which is also unusual for this time of year. With the outside temps being in the 50s, it's a very cold rain. So every time my mother and I go out (and I'm driving), the heat must go on in the car for her. My car doesn't know from that, since I usually have the air conditioning on or windows open.

I have been out of snow country for 12 years and with the way my memory is going, I barely remember what "winter in New England" feels like.

We had one of those torrential rains through out the day today, where it was coming down so fast and hard, the parking lot at my job was flooding. Usually when the lot starts backing up with rain, the roads are just as bad, if not worse (and I need to take side roads to get to the main road since that's all I got). By the time I got to leave, there was ankle deep water at my car. The manhole covers in the roads were spouting geysers of water back to the sky just as furiously as the clouds were deluging the water to the road.

Thunder, lightning, luckily no power outage. Could have been worse, but a couple times I've also drive in water so high, my battery light kept flickering. Today was one of those bad summer storms we get and we barely got one this summer.

Someone somewhere is pissed at this country... lol

Regarding the NFL weather policy: Yes, American football is seemingly a fall and winter sport, but, there has to be a point where you withhold or postpone a game due to dangerous (frozen) conditions. I know games in the past have been played during snow storms, but I don't think it was this bad (ok, I read the Yahoo article claiming CNN reported 4 games in history had a -20 degree wind chill, but that's just wind.. what about the icicles on people??). While it's true games can still be played during rain and wind, blizzard-like conditions are more unsafe than a player hitting a puddle on the field or a fan getting their snacks blown on them in the stands. When do "we" say it's too dangerous to be out there? Too many factors are involved in this, and you just never know what the day will bring.

It hit 40 degrees here last night and it's currently 52 degrees as I write this at 10:22am. Florida shouldn't have this weather, but we're being dealt with it, just like the area I used to live in (Brockton, Massachusetts) is currently 18 degrees. At one point in the night, it was 8 degrees there. Big swing for both places!

(Brockton, Massachusetts) is currently 18 degrees. At one point in the night, it was 8 degrees there.

about the same here (nyc).

i watched the Ice Bowl, iirc (/dates self). i remember thinking "it isn't worth it" (again, iirc).

an anecdote: when the vikings were established, the coach said "we're going to deal with the cold by doing nothing. no silk underwear, no thermals, nothing. you're going to get used to it and that's how we're going to win." it seemed to work.

e2a

1705854686204.png

Last edited:
an anecdote: when the vikings were established, the coach said "we're going to deal with the cold by doing nothing. no silk underwear, no thermals, nothing. you're going to get used to it and that's how we're going to win." it seemed to work.
Makes sense, but that's the players. What about the fans? Although... even though Minnesota can get really fucking cold (I'm told), it still goes back to "at what point do you postpone/cancel/etc a game for the safety of everyone?".

I gripe a lot about living in Florida and hating the humidity, but I remember the snow and the cold from New England. Going out to shovel the driveway seemed like it was the end of the world but I did it. When I was really little, I'd stay out there almost all damn day to play in it. Then again, it wasn't 25 degrees or lower (with or without wind chill) .

It's not so much "satisfying" as it is "that is really friggin smart... 3 or 4 plows on the highway to clear the road at once". I dig it! :D The single street plow busting snow right back in to the driveway? "Damn you to hell, man. Just cleaned that sucker". LOL

Last edited:
What a hand-cranked drill just revealed about the West’s ‘megadrought’
A new study is part of an emerging field of tree-ring science that found the West’s two-decade drought is inextricably linked to rising temperatures
January 24, 2024 https://archive.is/Bhfwe
For years, researchers have known human-caused warming is making the current megadrought in the naturally drought-prone western United States worse. Past research on tree rings, which reconstructed soil moisture levels, found the region hasn’t been this dry for this long since the 16th century.
But until now, what was less clear was the role of temperature in past dry spells. Were they due to excessive heat, or just a lack of precipitation? “We were unable to disentangle the potential role of temperature in past megadroughts, which were severe events that occurred naturally,” Anchukaitis said.
In the new study, the team found that lengthy droughts in the past, such as a 22-year one that hit the region in the late 16th century, were not necessarily hotter than normal.
By contrast, the team found the period from 2000 to 2020 to have been the warmest two-decade span of the past half-millennium across much of the West, including the Southwest and Pacific Northwest. In the Great Plains, the period ranks second behind the Dust Bowl era during the Great Depression.
“Modern megadrought conditions are in fact warmer and more influenced by warming temperatures than in the past,” King said.

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane names will be the same as the 2018 names, except Francine and Milton, which replaced Florence and Michael.

Screenshot_20240229-044755~2.png

Nice photo for petee

lightning hitting the water in New York

Back
Top Bottom