Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The weather in the USA...

I guess that's why 10% of all electricity used in the US is said to be for air conditioning.

It's a stupid and inevitable negative feedback loop innit.

I've seen so many people with personal hand held fans in London during this heatwave.

When Texas was crippled by that cold weather a few years back.people were cranking up whatever they could to stay warm.

One of the things that I find utterly stupid is the long wide profiles of homes. Dark roofs, large area so they have to deal.wuth the internal heat with Aircon.

The house my dad grew up in (SC) was tall and narrow so that it didn't get sun blasted. And surrounded by mature trees.

The older houses in New Orleans all have narrow rooms and very high ceilings. Narrow corridors, narrow tall windows, all the facilitate sure flow upwards.

The whole country's weather and various natural disasters seems to act like its trying to expel everyone. Asked before on reddit where actually doesn't have insane weather at some point and the closest anyone came up with was somewhere that was on a fault line but just not very active. I'm sure there must be somewhere but no one had an answer. Either extreme cold, heat, earthquakes, hurricanes, flooding or complete lack of rain.

The whole country's weather and various natural disasters seems to act like its trying to expel everyone. Asked before on reddit where actually doesn't have insane weather at some point and the closest anyone came up with was somewhere that was on a fault line but just not very active. I'm sure there must be somewhere but no one had an answer. Either extreme cold, heat, earthquakes, hurricanes, flooding or complete lack of rain.

TBF, the rest of the world seems the same at the moment.

I'm not sure where the smoke is coming from but the air quality here is in the unhealthy range. The air quality index is running 150 to 200. Normal is 50 and below. The air is so bad that if you look across the road its obscured by haze. I went outside for two minutes to water plants and came back with an asthma attack. The schools are keeping kids inside and cancelling sporting events. They're recommending that people with breathing problems and the elderly stay inside.

we didn't get any here (and we had it big in spring). did you find out the source?

yes. ( i live in new york county, which is in new york city, which is in new york state.)

Thanks, I thought so. The wind must be just right to swing the smoke south, rather than east.

Figuring out where smoke comes from can be tricky here. We sometimes get it from wildfires in the Rockies. In the Spring we can usually count on Kansas doing controlled burns in the Flint Hills for it.

I remember Ophelia from the last cycle of these storm names; she went along the west coast of Ireland and caused a lot of damage. Wonder if they'll retire the name after this year.

White Christmas unlikely for much of U.S. as temps set to jump​

"Much of the U.S. is likely to see temperatures of 10 to 20°F above average for the time of year during the last two weeks of December — including Christmas."

"The big picture: The expected above-average winter temperatures come in a week when Spain recorded its highest daily December temperature, when Malaga reached 85.8°F on Tuesday, and on the heels of Australia experiencing its hottest winter on record."

1702594767111.png

Getting a blizzard at the moment. I have about six inches of snow with another 3 - 4 expected by morning. The wind is in the 50-mph range.

Power was on and off all day. There was a crew repairing it until after dark. (I don't envy them their job today.) They found a bad 220 line and they rigged up a temporary one. The trouble with the 220 being iffy is that my furnace needs 220 to run the fan. As it is, the temp in the house is down to 56 F. That isn't that bad, but we're expecting temps in the 17 F range over night. If worse comes to worse, I have a wood stove, but that would mean going out into the blizzard to gather some wood. Not something I really want to do in the dark.

Back
Top Bottom